Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Last few games especially I have to concede I've been a bit harsh on him of late. Long may the improvement continue and no reason it shouldn't, if, as others have surmised, its due to our improved control of midfield and having another outlet on the opposite wing.

Pardew: Jonas Gutierrez in the form of his life

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

Oct 18 2011

ALAN PARDEW reckons that Jonas Gutierrez is playing some of the best football of his career at the moment - and that is leaving him with a major selection dilemma.

The Argentine, who signed a new deal last month to extend his stay on Tyneside to 2015, was the star man against Tottenham, setting up Demba Ba for his fifth goal in three matches.

His display came hot on the heels of a wonderful goal at Wolves to leave Pardew delighted.

He told the Chronicle: “Jonas is in some of the best form I’ve seen from him.

“Sometimes when players sign contracts, they just come off the pedal a little bit.

“Jonas has gone the other way. I didn’t sign him, so maybe he’s got a little bit of belief that the manager here loves him and wants him to play well.”

It means that summer signing Sylvain Marveaux – who was also wanted by Liverpool – has been left benched along with England Under-21 star Dan Gosling.

Pardew added: “I feel so sorry for Sylvain and Dan Gosling at the minute, and one or two others.

“They’ve worked really hard, and haven’t got a sniff.

“I want to keep winning games, but obviously I would love to play them at some point.

“Of the four midfield players, Jonas was the best.”

Pardew also feels that Ba’s goal on Sunday against Spurs summed up the hard work-rate of his team.

He said: “Demba had to make up about 40 yards to get to that position – he ran past two players. It was a great run by him.”

Meanwhile, United have snubbed a loan offer from Derby for James Perch.

The ex-Nottingham Forest captain is needed as defensive cover at St James’ Park.

As good as he's been this season, I think we'll see better performances once Ben Arfa is introduced into the starting 11.

I'm pretty happy with Ryan Taylor staying back and defending. I loved Enrique's overlapping runs, but we're getting more out of Jonas this way.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I must just miss it. Just looked like another Jonas performance with little end product.

I wonder if some people just praise him no matter what.

Shh. I remember you wanting to start Marveaux and Obertan on the wings, "get rid of the no end product"  :lol:

One of our most important players.

Jonas man, Jonas man,

does whatever Messi can

Beats a man, just for fun

Look oooout

here comes Jonas man

Vaguely to the tune of:

:coat:

:love: :love:

I must just miss it. Just looked like another Jonas performance with little end product.

I wonder if some people just praise him no matter what.

Our best chance of the first half came via Jonas once again making a run down the left and crossing in for Best who missed from a yard out. You're missing it yeah.