Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

If he's not going to regain the all-action attacking he had when he first arrived, then a role in a midfield three seems to suit him. His workrate is amazing and his crossing is relatively poor.

Been very pleasantly surprised with the quality of his passing, the through-ball for HBA today was superb again.

His current role also removes the expectation that he's going to cover the entire length of the wing and play FB and LW, which must have been a real weight on his shoulders and affected how he is seen by the fans.

If he's not going to regain the all-action attacking he had when he first arrived, then a role in a midfield three seems to suit him. His workrate is amazing and his crossing is relatively poor.

Been very pleasantly surprised with the quality of his passing, the through-ball for HBA today was superb again.

His current role also removes the expectation that he's going to cover the entire length of the wing and play FB and LW, which must have been a real weight on his shoulders and affected how he is seen by the fans.

He still kind of did though but it was just as a cover rather than the primary person in these position which gives him more license to conserve his energy and use it to better effect rather than chasing up and down such as getting on the ball and influencing the game.

Might sound a bit silly, but I can see him becoming our Park over the next few years if the club continues to progress. By this I mean he'll no longer be a guaranteed starter each week, but he'll be called on to fill a number of roles across the midfield and likely relied upon in important fixtures and games away from home when you need discipline and effort over flair and charisma.

I honestly never thought he would be anything but shite in the centre.

As it happens, his stamina, tenacity and workrate actually proves - dare i say it - more effective than it does on the wing. We're no longer relying on him for service, simply ball retention - something i thought he would struggle with given his unorthodox, languid dribbling style. He actually keeps the ball as well as anyone in our entire squad.

He's a constant pain in the arse for the opposition when they're on the ball, too. Fit as a fiddle and chasing players down all over the shop.

There's a future for him in a central role. Got to hold me hands up on this one; had always thought it would be a terrible idea but he's looking even more effective here than on the wing. What's great is that he does still have the (occasional) super pass on him.

Glad to see Jonas back on form, he had a bit of an extended poor period recently after a good previous 12 months for us. Fantastic passing yesterday (apart from one rank cross field ball :lol: just before setting up HBA for the first goal). Love him when he's on his game.

he's still a handful for opposition defenders; they still have to double up on him due to his superior dribbling.

Exactly... For most of his time here he has been our only attacking option wide... He came into his own when we added Routledge for the promotion run in as this stopped other teams defending that side in numbers... Love his attitude... Not sure who our vice captain is but was happy to see him with the armband 2nd half...

he's still a handful for opposition defenders; they still have to double up on him due to his superior dribbling.

Exactly... For most of his time here he has been our only attacking option wide... He came into his own when we added Routledge for the promotion run in as this stopped other teams defending that side in numbers... Love his attitude... Not sure who our vice captain is but was happy to see him with the armband 2nd half...

Steven Taylor i think.

Steven Taylor i think.

Aye... Good shout...

This new formation could be the making of Jonas - has the technique and energy to fit into it perfectly. Loved seeing him with the armband as well, well deserved.

This 100%.  His close control, ball retention, quick feet and accurate  short passing are tailor-made for the sort of role he played on Sunday.  Add to that, his brilliant fitness levels, his engine and attitude and you have someone who could really hold this position down as his own.

Guest bimpy474

Steven Taylor i think.

There isn't one, Pardew said when he appointed Colo skipper that there was no need for a vice captain as we already had many players to fill it, Shola, Jonas, Saylor etc.

Guest Dontooner

What are the chances, that Jonas stay in the full back position. He actually plays there pretty well and understands what to do in that position perfectly for the team. If he could settles in that position i would like to see him in the left back of 4-3-3. Adds quite a bit going forward and holding on to possession as well. Maybe then, we dont have to spend on the left back position in the summer.