Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

Aye he was great, i wasn't that surprised though type of game he excels in as long as he's actually fit.

Thought he, Marveaux and Cisse were our best players.

Marveaux?

The player who created basically all our chances?

Danny Simpson? :bluestar:

James' only real attributes these days are stamina and ball control.

That means he's only useful for: providing an outlet in every phase, holding onto the ball, retaining possession. If he does those things consistently over the course of 90 minutes - without making silly mistakes and without being used as an attacker - he can be very useful. Keeping the ball is about as simple as it gets and we've been consistently shit at it. When Gutierrez is used purely to circulate possession - it lends time to our proper attackers, increases impetus going forward and gives the defenders an option without having to punt it long.

He was vital for this in the 4-3-3. Constantly offering himself as an option when an attack wasn't going anywhere, whilst also getting back to aid the defenders.

I thought Sissoko, Marveaux and Cisse all had good games tonight, and Jonas played a large part in that. He also played a rare decent cross which Cisse nearly converted.

Basically, if Pardew is wary of his limitations and doesn't have him as a 'provider' - he's a useful cog in the team's basic functions.

James' only real attributes these days are stamina and ball control.

That means he's only useful for: providing an outlet in every phase, holding onto the ball, retaining possession. If he does those things consistently over the course of 90 minutes - without making silly mistakes and without being used as an attacker - he can be very useful. Keeping the ball is about as simple as it gets and we've been consistently s*** at it. When Gutierrez is used purely to circulate possession - it lends time to our proper attackers, increases impetus going forward and gives the defenders an option without having to punt it long.

He was vital for this in the 4-3-3. Constantly offering himself as an option when an attack wasn't going anywhere, whilst also getting back to aid the defenders.

I thought Sissoko, Marveaux and Cisse all had good games tonight, and Jonas played a large part in that. He also played a rare decent cross which Cisse nearly converted.

Basically, if Pardew is wary of his limitations and doesn't have him as a 'provider' - he's a useful cog in the team's basic functions.

Good post and that's why I don't understand the people that want to get rid of him in the summer. He can still be very useful if used right.

He was great tonight. Put real effort in and desire to keep the team going and lead by example. Doesn't really deserve having the vice-captain role taken off him and giving it to Cabaye. Seeing the lack of leadership and temper Yohan had at the end of the match shows that Jonas still can bring the calm approach to his team mates and not get in unwarranted trouble.

He can still be a valuable asset to the team becuase he does have quality but needs a strong team that suit his role and a manager who knows how to utilise him best

Doesn't really deserve having the vice-captain role taken off him and giving it to Cabaye.

I'd say performing badly for basically every game and not being able to communicate with a significant number of important teammates (ie not Perch or Willo) justifies him losing it. He played well last night, mind.

Guest bimpy474

Doesn't really deserve having the vice-captain role taken off him and giving it to Cabaye.

I'd say performing badly for basically every game and not being able to communicate with a significant number of important teammates (ie not Perch or Willo) justifies him losing it. He played well last night, mind.

We have been very critical us two haven't we. But like you i thought he played well last night.

While i still think he needs replacing, there have been signs he is playing better, still doesn't create enough and 80% of the time it's like having to FB playing down the same wing.

Looked more of an attacking threat at LB than he has in midfield so far this season.  Utterly bizarre to me.  Good performance but unsure why he can't be dribbling and trying to take on players from midfield as well.

Very good today, was carrying the ball forward and relieving pressure the way he used too. Always refused to believe 'his legs are gone', and whilst one performance doesn't change the fact that he's been shite this season, it was nice to see he can still do it.

Brilliant today, as others have said. Wouldn't mind seeing him at LB at all if Santon and Haidara are still out for a while. And if he keeps playing like today then it'll be his position to lose.

Krul

Debuchy - Yanga Mbiwa - Taylor - Jonas

Cabaye - Sissoko

Ben Arfa - Marveaux - Gouffran

Cisse

Doesn't look half bad at all.

I've been one of his biggest critics all season long but just thought I'd come in to say well played to him today, he was like the Jonas of old with loads of marauding runs down the left flank, looked absolutely revitalised and really stepped up when it mattered.