Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

It should've had the opposite effect. He's just got slower with age.

Agbonlahor bulked up on his upper body and lost pace. Steven Taylor had to lose similar to perform better.

You can see Jonas is top-heavy. He's got too much muscle impacting on his speed.

I like Jonas, he hold an enormous value to this team, he's just not being used to his full potential. He should be a 15-20minute guy and give the younger ones leadership quality. He's just not good enough for 90 but could probably do a good job in central midfield since he can hold on to the ball well and drive it forward to waste time.

His pace and his cunning used to be his best assets along with his workrate. Sadly with the loss of pace and refs catching up to his antics, they are no longer as effective.

Agbonlahor bulked up on his upper body and lost pace. Steven Taylor had to lose similar to perform better.

You can see Jonas is top-heavy. He's got too much muscle impacting on his speed.

Top heavy? He's wide shouldered but still very skinny with ripped arms. Taylor is top heavy admittedly but he had to lose weight because he lacks flexibility and tends to get injurred when his weight is up there. He was never that quick anyway but he's 30 now. Of course he's gonna be slower.

Never understand why players lose pace when they put on a bit of muscle. Most sprinters look much more muscular. I could understand them not covering as much ground but the pace thing is strange, not many look like they are carrying Mr Universe type muscle :lol:

Never understand why players lose pace when they put on a bit of muscle. Most sprinters look much more muscular. I could understand them not covering as much ground but the pace thing is strange, not many look like they are carrying Mr Universe type muscle :lol:

I don't really think it's the cause, it's probably more something they do over time that corresponds to them slowing down a bit. As you say, there's no real reason someone as muscular as Jonas shouldn't also be fast.

Perhaps a combination of body/person not built to have both that type of muscle and speed? And the manner in which these muscle gains are added to these players are not monitored correctly so that it doesn't harm the players pace/flexibility? You see athletes in NFL or NBA build muscle but also increase their dynamic flexibility, acceleration and/or straight line speed. Perhaps the sport of football, and more or less OUR staff have been poor at this? Just wondering out loud I guess.

Perhaps a combination of body/person not built to have both that type of muscle and speed? And the manner in which these muscle gains are added to these players are not monitored correctly so that it doesn't harm the players pace/flexibility? You see athletes in NFL or NBA build muscle but also increase their dynamic flexibility, acceleration and/or straight line speed. Perhaps the sport of football, and more or less OUR staff have been poor at this? Just wondering out loud I guess.

Yeah, could be how the training is done and not enough focus being put on flexibility and explosiveness. But you would hope that wouldn't happen for a professional footballer... it might though.

Agbonlahor bulked up on his upper body and lost pace.

He came back from a summer break built like a brick shit house, and it definitely had an adverse effect. I understand Lambert told him to stop doing so much gym work at the start of last season. By the last third of the season, he was in excellent form.

I know you can debate the causality, but I think you're right, it definitely had a bad effect on him.

Agbonlahor bulked up on his upper body and lost pace.

He came back from a summer break built like a brick shit house, and it definitely had an adverse effect. I understand Lambert told him to stop doing so much gym work at the start of last season. By the last third of the season, he was in excellent form.

I know you can debate the causality, but I think you're right, it definitely had a bad effect on him.

If you focused mainly on upper body I can see how it would affect football.

And obviously we are talking about people who are already pretty fit.

Guest bimpy474

Footballers do seem to be doing more weights, rather like the thought of a Jan Molby or Hatem Ben Arfa larding it around still.

Footballers do seem to be doing more weights, rather like the thought of a Jan Molby or Hatem Ben Arfa larding it around still.

Franny Lee. Actually proper fat. Never a problem with him. Cruyff smoking on the bench. That sort of thing. That's what we need back.

Guest bimpy474

Franny Lee. Actually proper fat. Never a problem with him. Cruyff smoking on the bench. That sort of thing. That's what we need back.

Aye :lol: far too many athletes now.

Not pace.... agility he was a lot more agile when he first joined and it allowed him to get past people a bit easier.

He's lost all that now, you don't really lose pace unless your an utter moron.

Not pace.... agility he was a lot more agile when he first joined and it allowed him to get past people a bit easier.

He's lost all that now, you don't really lose pace unless your an utter moron.

:dowiespin: