Realistic Transfer Targets January 2011

Guest koenji

Judging by previous signings in pretty recent times we should not bother signing Keane types. On loan it is a win win though and I don't think Ashley is going to fund the signing of a good youngish striker which would cost 5m+ surely. Doesn't even matter though because according to them we are on our way to becoming the barca model! Good times.

Funniest thing, all of our current crop of homegrown wonders were scouted/signed under a board that ended up being chased out of town (and rightly so).

!! there is hope!

Obinna is also realistic, well not in January, but when West Ham go down. He's basically being offered by Inter to anybody willing to take him and is not on big wages at all.

Don't rate him though. Desperately infuriating player to watch.

:sadnod:

Think we could get him if we wanted, but whilst he can show a spark of skill and ability at time to time, he can be just as awful.

He's Oba Martins MkII, with a bit more versatility positionally. I've watched him Serie A for a couple of years and developed an irrational hatred for his style of play, he's talented but will never be consistent enough to be a really good player. His workrate and intelligence is poor aswell - a luxury player that doesn't have enough about him to be a luxury player, essentially.

[/hopefully avoided annoying Baba with African footballing stereotypes]

Judging by previous signings in pretty recent times we should not bother signing Keane types. On loan it is a win win though and I don't think Ashley is going to fund the signing of a good youngish striker which would cost 5m+ surely. Doesn't even matter though because according to them we are on our way to becoming the barca model! Good times.

Funniest thing, all of our current crop of homegrown wonders were scouted/signed under a board that ended up being chased out of town (and rightly so).

!! there is hope!

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5190/originalimagei.png

!! there is hope!

When did Carroll actually burst into scene? Four years ago or something? (I remember him being a substitute in a UEFA cup game). This policy needs years to actually reap results as youngsters are scouted and developed. I really don't think Ashley wants to be here that long.

Whey aye then, lets just spend more money than we've got on Keane, give him the long term deal on big money he will demand and go round the same cycle over again. Be great watching another 30+ player half-heartedly play out their twilight years while picking up easy money, we've had nowhere near enough of them scenarios before :rolleyes:

Ludicrous that people think it's sensible signing Keane permanently, or at all realistic.

Is anyone actually suggesting this?

Well people are suggesting we should sign him permanently, so by deduction, yes they are.

As far as I can see, people are saying we should sign him because of his playing ability. Nobody even mentions wages/fees.

If they want too much money or he wants high wages/long contract, then no it probably won't happen. Doesn't mean I don't want him here.

this, i've said i'm in favour of him coming here but never mentioned a contract length, transfer or loan or any of that. you lot are arguing with yourselves to be honest, i cant see anyone that's said it'd be a good idea to give him a long contract on high wages. loan or transfer with 18 month contract would be fine by me.

A few years ago people were sick of signing late 28-30 year olds who were past it and on huge wages and wanted us to sign some younger, cheaper players. Now you want Robbie Keane who hasn't performed to a Premiership standard for over 2 years.

this is also a method of argument that gets right on my tits. you can't (well you can, but it has no credibility) merely say 'people' and 'you' and then attribute those views to everyone in an attempt to put your point across, it's bollocks.

!! there is hope!

When did Carroll actually burst into scene? Four years ago or something? (I remember him being a substitute in a UEFA cup game). This policy needs years to actually reap results as youngsters are scouted and developed. I really don't think Ashley wants to be here that long.

O0 I know...I realise there is no hope unfortunately. The Barca youth are just incredible though. I was over in the summer there and was watching the under 12s play on barca tv, any idea who the young black(had an african name I think) kid was? He was completely bossing the games I saw, scored pretty much all the goals and set them up, was in defence, midfield and attack and generally looked like he is going to be insanely brilliant.

Keane is 30 and on the way down, but for 6 months i don't see a problem here. SIX MONTHS!!! we can look for a gameiro-type signing in the summer, but first can we just sort out survival please? its only a loan, not a marriage commitment.

Keane is 30 and on the way down, but for 6 months i don't see a problem here. SIX MONTHS!!! we can look for a gameiro-type signing in the summer, but first can we just sort out survival please? its only a loan, not a marriage commitment.

The problem is that Keane won't be going on any loan.

If he's not good enough for Spurs, he isn't good enough for us.

Guest Tall Striker

If he's not good enough for Spurs, he isn't good enough for us.

:lol:

Guest kingdawson

Redknapp's said about 3 times within the last 2 weeks he isn't going to let Keane go out on loan and he'll leave on a permanent deal.

Unless it's a short term move I'd prefer to see us spend the money/wages on someone up and coming rather than Keane. Keane hasn't done anything of note for a fair while. Much prefer us to get someone in who'll hit the ground running.

If we were after a short team loan we could do a lot worse than looking to the Russian league.