Shay Given (now retired)

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not too fussed about the manner in which Shay left and with the way things were going I don't blame him for wanting out. He gave us 11 years of fantastic and loyal service and could have left long before but didn't. He was coming to that point in his career when he wanted trophies and at Man City he was first choice and to be honest - as good as Hart was - I don't think that many people were expecting him to displace Shay as No.1. Plus, even though we were in decline, by going to Man City he at least went to a club that was going to pay a good reasonable fee for him and as far as I'm concerned, Harper and Krul were adequate replacements anyway so £7million was a good price.

I'll be applauding him for the fantastic service he gave us over the years. Top player, top bloke and loves the toon.

Was paid very well for 11 years as our number 1 keeper...we just needed him for another 6 months while we fought relegation.  Ran off for more money at the drop of a hat.

Thats how I felt at the time, but i think getting relegated was the best thing to have happened to us and now we have a GK in Krul that could be better than Given.

Guest Geordiesned

I was angry about it at the time but I'm over that now. Looking back, whilst I didn't agree with the way he went about things you have to remember that Joke Kinnear was in charge at the time. Turning up to work every day to have to listen to that knacker would drive even the most level headed person to act out of character.

I'll admit that our current position and the emergence of Krul has helped any animosity I had towards Given dwindle. But regardless of that he doesn't deserve to be given the same treatment at SJP as leeches like Owen.

I was angry about it at the time but I'm over that now. Looking back, whilst I didn't agree with the way he went about things you have to remember that Joke Kinnear was in charge at the time. Turning up to work every day to have to listen to that knacker would drive even the most level headed person to act out of character.

I'll admit that our current position and the emergence of Krul has helped any animosity I had towards Given dwindle. But regardless of that he doesn't deserve to be given the same treatment at SJP as leeches like Owen.

precisely :thup:

Was paid very well for 11 years as our number 1 keeper...we just needed him for another 6 months while we fought relegation.  Ran off for more money at the drop of a hat.

Thats how I felt at the time, but i think getting relegated was the best thing to have happened to us and now we have a GK in Krul that could be better than Given.

In hind sight getting relegated gave the club a well needed kick up the arse and the rats abandoned ship, mostly leaving us with a squad that actually wanted to be here and actually playing football.  However, we could have quite easily went the other way and missing out on instant promotion would have been an unmitigated disaster taking us back two decades.

My feelings of contempt for him at the time have dissipated, considering how his career has panned out since he left, but I have no respect from him with how the transfer was conducted from his and his agents side with regards to the timing, lies and money grabbing that went on at the time.

Just asking as i have no idea, but do you think the extra cash he made at city outweighed what he woild have taken from a testimonial? As i honestly think he'll look back at his career and wish he'd stayed. I mean the cup winners medal for not playing must mean next to nowt.

Just asking as i have no idea, but do you think the extra cash he made at city outweighed what he woild have taken from a testimonial? As i honestly think he'll look back at his career and wish he'd stayed. I mean the cup winners medal for not playing must mean next to nowt.

Imagine his Grandkids asking him about his FA Cup Winners Medal.

Did you keep a clean sheet Grandad? No

Did you save a penalty Grandad? No

Did you make any great saves Grandad? No

Anyone booing him wants to have a word with themselves. The club was a fucking joke. I've no doubt he'll support us when he retires. Forget the timing of his departure, we were going down regardless and we're better for it.

We really should have escaped relegation; thank god we didn't.

Of course the club was a fucking joke. There were plenty of players and fans who knew that and didn't run away at the first opportunity, though.

He achieved nowt in that 4/5 months that he could have from moving in the summer. I'll not boo him, but I won't change the past either.

He got the chance to go to Man City; that may not have been an option come the summer. Others stayed, took their wage, didn't perform on the pitch and then fucked off 'cos they wanted PL football. Some of the gutless performances put in from January onward are far more worthy of booing than Given saying enough is enough.

Glad you're not booing; I'll be applauding.

precisely :thup:

Agree.  Also recall him speaking out in transfer window after transfer window about how the squad needed strengthened.  He clearly wanted to win honours as a player at Newcastle, lost his rag after years of false dawns and thought there was a real opportunity to do that at Man City when he was the wrong side of 30.  Whether it worked out that way for him is pretty irrelevant, he took the gamble based on faith in his own ability.

I do wish he'd hung around another 6 months mind, I'd agree with the "neither clap nor boo" lot, which is a shame because he was a great player for us.

Yet you've got "Ashley Out" as your custom title? ???

We're where we are despite of Ashley. We've had a huge amount of good fortune. Make no mistake; we could have done a Leeds and he'd not have shed a tear. Still has a huge way to go.

Of course the club was a f***ing joke. There were plenty of players and fans who knew that and didn't run away at the first opportunity, though.

He achieved nowt in that 4/5 months that he could have from moving in the summer. I'll not boo him, but I won't change the past either.

The players you refer to WOULD have left us - and in that January - given the chance. Given lived and breathed this club and was genuinely sickened by what was happening (KK departure, Kinnear etc).

The idea that with him we'd not have been relegated is also garbage. He wouldn't have  converted the chances  (eg vs Portsmouth) which Owen bottled.