Carling Cup fourth round - Arsenal (h) Pre-Match Thread

Decky
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It might be a risk to go full strength but I'd spend 10 years in the football league to see us win anything. Mid table prem isn't an achievement in any way comparable to actually winning anything.

Added to that, a Carling Cup win would give us the great 'European nights' back  :smitten:

Don't care how much of a mickey mouse cup it is, I'd go fucking mental.  And I'd be singing 'You've never won fuck all" to everyone outside the current top four for 90 minutes of every match probably, had 20 years of having that sung at me.

http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3109406/Back-Newcastle-To-Pick-Up-Plenty-of-Cards-Today.html

Look for Arsenal to try to hold the bulk of the possession and try to pass their way around Newcastle. The Magpies are likely to deploy some long-ball tactics and try to slip Carroll through for a clean run at goal. Arsenal should defend a bit deeper today but Newcastle's main threat will come from set-pieces where they'll bring up the ever-dangerous Steven Taylor. If we can nullify the threat from those types of situations, we'll be in great shape for the win today.

:dowie:

http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3109406/Back-Newcastle-To-Pick-Up-Plenty-of-Cards-Today.html

Look for Arsenal to try to hold the bulk of the possession and try to pass their way around Newcastle. The Magpies are likely to deploy some long-ball tactics and try to slip Carroll through for a clean run at goal. Arsenal should defend a bit deeper today but Newcastle's main threat will come from set-pieces where they'll bring up the ever-dangerous Steven Taylor. If we can nullify the threat from those types of situations, we'll be in great shape for the win today.

It'd be mint if they'd made all their plans around Carroll and Taylor and us playing the long ball :laugh:

:lol:

It might be a risk to go full strength but I'd spend 10 years in the football league to see us win anything. Mid table prem isn't an achievement in any way comparable to actually winning anything.

Added to that, a Carling Cup win would give us the great 'European nights' back  :smitten:

Don't care how much of a mickey mouse cup it is, I'd go fucking mental.  And I'd be singing 'You've never won fuck all" to everyone outside the current top four for 90 minutes of every match probably, had 20 years of having that sung at me.

:lol:

I'd be the same, like.

Guest Geordiecunny

For me, the point of being a football club is trying to win trophies. If manure had got knocked out last night I'd have gone as far as to say I'd rather we won tonight than on Sunday.

Some nice comments from Wenger on their official site. :)

“It is important that we go into the game and think we want to qualify. But also we want to produce a great performance because the Chelsea game has shown that you don’t get away with an average performance against Newcastle.

“They are competitive, they are a good side. They have a good mixture between physical power, technical level and spirit.

“That is why they will be a dangerous side for everybody, not only at home but as well away. They showed that again on Saturday by winning at West Ham when the home side needed points.

“So you see that this Newcastle team has qualities and I think they will be comfortable in the Premier League this year.”

:smitten:

When someone like Wenger thinks we'll be comfortable, you suddenly feel a lot better about our chances of staying up.

For me, the point of being a football club is trying to win trophies. If manure had got knocked out last night I'd have gone as far as to say I'd rather we won tonight than on Sunday.

Jimminy Jillikers!!

What I like about this game (was the same for the Chelsea one) is that while I will be disappointed if we lose, I won't be as fucking nervous as I would be during a normal game. It's much easier to sit back and enjoy the football on show when a) I'm expecting to lose and b) it doesn't matter that much.

Of course, caring and being nervous is a massive part of supporting a football club (especially Newcastle with all our ups and downs), but it's nice for once to be able to relax just a little.

[insert teams here]

With those teams, I can't see past an Arsenal win.

[/getting ready]

We've known for days that Arsenal are going to field a stronger team us, and considering their reserves would arguably be better than our first team, their fringe/first team are definitely going to look better than our reserve/fringe players on paper. Anything can happen though :)

[insert teams here]

With those teams, I can't see past an Arsenal win.

[/getting ready]

We've known for days that Arsenal are going to field a stronger team us, and considering their reserves would arguably be better than our first team, their fringe/first team are definitely going to look better than our reserve/fringe players on paper. Anything can happen though :)

Fucking magnets, how do they work?