Gamesmanship - A hypothetical question...

Fugazi
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obviously everyone would prefer it if diving was removed from the game.

Am I ashamed when/if a Newcastle player dives to win a penalty? Am I f***.

Would you prefer if diving was removed though?

If so, can't see how you can fail to object to any player doing it.

In an ideal world, obviously I'd rather it wasn't part of the game.

Diving is never going to be completely eradicated however, and although it may make me a bad person, I would take great delight in Newcastle benefiting from a well executed dive.

Obviously everyone would prefer it if diving was removed from the game.

Am I ashamed when/if a Newcastle player dives to win a penalty? Am I f***.

Would you prefer if diving was removed though?

If so, can't see how you can fail to object to any player doing it.

In an ideal world, obviously I'd rather it wasn't part of the game.

Diving is never going to be completely eradicated however, and although it may make me a bad person, I would take great delight in Newcastle benefiting from a well executed dive.

it'll never be completly eradicated but steps could be taken to limit and other things like screaming at the ref etc.

If it was absolutely, completely, blatantly 100% cheating, then yes, the victory would be tainted IMO.

PS - the classic definition of gamesmanship is 'the art of winning without actually cheating'

Did it bother "Nature Boy" Ric Flair when he cheated to win his world championships?  Of course not. 

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/155630/ric-flair-woooooo-o.gif

(in all seriousness, I would be a bit troubled but ultimately doubt that it would prevent me from being orgasmic over the cup win)

I honestly would not care how we won. Things like this will go for us and against us. It is part of sport. Most every game has some form gamesmanship. Almost everyone on these forum has participated in gamesmanship while playing a sport. I would be euphoric if we won in this manner.

A certain amount of 'gamesmanship' is obviously OK, like a forward using his experience to force the defender into fouling him to get a high ball. That's normal.

What we're talking about is diving, basically throwing yourself to the ground when your opponent has done nothing to put you there. IMO that's not acceptable, and I would criticise my own players for doing it just as much as opponents.

If you don't care about how you win, you may as well advocate bribing opponents and officials, or popping some laxatives in their water bottles before the match.

If you don't care about how you win, you may as well advocate bribing opponents and officials, or popping some laxatives in their water bottles before the match.

Not really. Diving is more deception than outright cheating. In the end, it's up to the referee to give the decision.

I would be ashamed, but at the same time, we've won the FA Cup, it'd only be mild shame.

If we blatantly deserved the win based on our performance I'd try and rationalise it in that sense too, claiming just rewards etc just to make me feel a bit better about it.

Basically it's a question, FA Cup or playing fairly.

FA Cup anyday, too many teams have players more than willing to take a tumble so wouldn't bother me one bit if it won us this. Wouldn't like it to happen in most other less important games though.

Mackem keeps going on about that game - a) the dive and b) iirc, Chopra (he fucking hated him after this) somehow failing to pick out Jones to make it 2-1. "FUCKING MAG!" were his words, I think.

Not really. Diving is more deception than outright cheating. In the end, it's up to the referee to give the decision.

Eh? Deception is outright cheating.

If at the end of the day it's up to people to find out when you've done something wrong, you could get into all sorts of stuff.

It seemed to work for one D.Maradona in 1986 - Argentina went on to win a WC after his 'Hand of God' goal against England...

Cannot condone cheating but International Football seems to be based on it.

You would need to supply a lot more examples than that to justify that conclusion.

Are you old enough to remember the fiasco of some of the decisions affecting S.Korea in 2002 ?

I am sure the Spaniards & Italians would have great pleasure in reminding you...

Then we have Blatter's pig-headed insistence that Video technology cannot be used in the WC despite both Tennis and Rugby using it..

The match-fixing scandals of Germany and Italy, the latter getting Juve relegated by the Italian FA...

You probably aren't old enough to remember Trelford Mills, ref at our FA Cup game back in 83....denied us 2 clear-cut pens...

Etc., Etc......

Is that enough for you ?

Guest GeordieAce

It seemed to work for one D.Maradona in 1986 - Argentina went on to win a WC after his 'Hand of God' goal against England...

You would need to supply a lot more examples than that to justify that conclusion.

Are you old enough to remember the fiasco of some of the decisions affecting S.Korea in 2002 ?

I am sure the Spaniards & Italians would have great pleasure in reminding you...

Then we have Blatter's pig-headed insistence that Video technology cannot be used in the WC despite both Tennis and Rugby using it..

The match-fixing scandals of Germany and Italy, the latter getting Juve relegated by the Italian FA...

You probably aren't old enough to remember Trelford Mills, ref at our FA Cup game back in 83....denied us 2 clear-cut pens...

Etc., Etc......

Is that enough for you ?

also see suarez at the last world cup

Etc., Etc......

Is that enough for you ?

As a case that "international football is based on cheating" it is, frankly, laughable.