How far can 'this group of lads' take us?

Optimistic Nut

At the very, very most i'd expect mid-table mediocrity. It's going to be all about the home form, really. After Stoke and Wigan we'd every reason to think the home form isn't going to be good enough, and it could very well send us down. But hopefully the Sunderland game wasn't a fluke like the Villa one was, and we can kick on from here. I'd still take 17th and have another shot at building a decent squad in the summer, if offered. We've got the basis of a reasonable squad at the moment, but it really needs investment before we're looking at consistent top-half finishes.

Looking at how we performed against Man City away, I think we could cause a few surprises. Bearing in mind that game was before we played this new formation, we looked every bit as good as they did, and they are considered one of the league's best teams.

If everyone stays fit I reckon a top half finish is realistic. Injuries to a couple of key players and we're probably looking at 12th-15th

36 points between now and the first FA Cup weekend for us. If we can get 18 of those then we will most definitely be in the top 10 at the end of the season imo. If we got 11 we could start ignoring the idea of relegation.

target is 36 - that's the average to go down playing 38 games a season - 42 is the max that any club have been relegated on playing 38 in the PL

Chelsea only need 4 more wins to reach 36......................

What sort of investment can you guys see Fat Mike putting in if we push on from 40 points plus? say we finish just outside of europe spots ( super-duper hopefully touching wood fingers crossed ) via playing out of our skins would Mike see us push for europe or try to consolode the points total we've acomplished?

target is 36 - that's the average to go down playing 38 games a season - 42 is the max that any club have been relegated on playing 38 in the PL

Chelsea only need 4 more wins to reach 36......................

We only need 7 to reach 35 to be fair.

Guest VegasToon

Hope for top 10, but think we'll be around 12th to 14th.  Which would make me happy.  We are building a good squad, at least I hope it continues under Ashley, but need a few more good transfer windows to compete for Europe.

Our biggest problem right now is Ashley. Everything else seems to be working now in regards to the actual football. But then you have this guy in the background doing daft shite like dwelling over Hughtons contract and pissing off the fans by painting Sports Direct on top of the stadium. As long as Ashley is here we are only potentially a day or 2 away from disaster. For all we know he could have plans for Hughton and even some of our players.

I can just see him getting caught up in the drama of it all and scrapping the 'debt free in # years' thing he's implementing. It's hard to factor that buzz into calculations.

It wasn't "debt free in x years"; it was "break even in x years".

OK, my bad.

I can just see him getting caught up in the drama of it all and scrapping the 'debt free in # years' thing he's implementing. It's hard to factor that buzz into calculations.

Copy cop av??

I have no idea what this means.

Our biggest problem right now is Ashley. Everything else seems to be working now in regards to the actual football. But then you have this guy in the background doing daft s**** like dwelling over Hughtons contract and pissing off the fans by painting Sports Direct on top of the stadium. As long as Ashley is here we are only potentially a day or 2 away from disaster. For all we know he could have plans for Hughton and even some of our players.

Despite all the seemingly sensible things that have happened since relegation I have this horrible fear that you are spot on with this.

• 1 month later...

Must say that we've got a really decent first team. If we can add 3-4 quality players to our starting lineup over the next two transfer windows it could look really good if we keep hold of our most important players.

Starting line-up is very good at the moment. The signing of Tioté and improvement of Simpson means that a partner to Carroll (Ben Arfa?) is what is missing in my opinion. Gutierrez frustrates too much but his work rate must not be underestimated. We need him tracking back and helping out when Nolan pushes forward.

If we get Ben Arfa in it gives us a creative dimension to add to the pure power of Carroll and Tiote, leadership of Nolan, Coloccini, Barton, awesomeness of Enrique and work rate of Gutierrez. Very decent side that I reckon could get us a top 8 finish within two years time. We still need more strength in depth though as Guthrie, Smith, Ryan Taylor, Campbell, Shola, Lövenkrands etc. clearly aren't good enough.

• 6 years later...

Top 10?

Possible, but the ceiling is not far from being that, however a few key signings and targets should be higher. For now though, the target should be around about 10th and this squad is capable of achieving that if they are consistent.