Manchester City

OzzieMandias

I don't want them to have a dynasty, but don't mind them shaking things up a bit for the time being.

I also think Yaya, Silva, Kompany and Aguero play the game in a much better spirit than the likes of Nani, Young, and RioFerdy.

I don't get the distinction between what Man Utd has done by investing heavy over a few years vs City's mad purchase over two seasons, it's just a matter of time period. And why is getting a billionaire foreign investor not a legitimate way of raising funds? It's no different from an IPO which in total got Man Utd big bucks too, the only difference is that in an IPO, ownership is dispersed vs one owner (consortium). The amount of money raised/obtained can't be too far off. To attract whoever it is from Dubai, City (or an investment banker engaged) would have needed to sell the club to them, that this is a wise investment for them to throw in the cash in the first few years and slowly bring down spending in subsequent years. There is no way that City will be spending in excess of 100M every year. In fact I fully expect their spending to reduce significantly next season. If we are honest, in the current climate this is the ONLY way for a new team to get anywhere near the title (besides the big 4 who have already invested significantly over a few years). If you want to win the premier league you need world class players which surprise surprise don't come cheap.

This whole comparison with cheating in FM is tosh too. Sure they've got almost unlimited funds, but it's not like they can just turn up for every game and win by default. In such a competitive league, Mancini still need to manage all the big egos (including the Tevez affair), keep their motivations up for big and small games, get his tactics and formation right, be able to deal with the advantage of the incumbent that Man Utd has and loads more. The fact that the title will likely be decided by goal difference is testimony of this. It's not like he just needed to press the play button to win the title.

I for one will hold no grudges against them when/if they win tonight. Anything that makes Fergie turn all red in anger pleases me no end. I also don't believe one bit those who say that they will not celebrate the title if we were to win the title the same way that City is attempting to.

I don't get the distinction between what Man Utd has done by investing heavy over a few years vs City's mad purchase over two seasons

Two seasons, man. They signed Robinho nearly 4 years ago.

Guest Haris Vuckic

They've spent like £1bn on player recruitment/wages in a short amount of time.

I don't get the distinction between what Man Utd has done by investing heavy over a few years vs City's mad purchase over two seasons

Two seasons, man. They signed Robinho nearly 4 years ago.

When did the Arab investors come into the picture. That was probably the start of their mad spending.

Edit: Ronaldo makes a fair point although my post was a lot more than the number of years they've spent mega bucks

It seems according to (http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/manchester-city-transfers.html), their net transfer spending over the years has been:

2009 season: 118M

2010: 99M

2011: 117M

2012: 48M

Based on that, looks like their net spending for 2012 season has indeed reduced significantly.

2008. That deadline day was mental. Went to bed and everything was normal - then suddenly Man City are the richest club in the world, we've signed Xisco, Berbatov goes to Man Utd and Robinho goes to City. Crazy day!

Would be nice for these players to look at some of the players these clubs have ruined (Duff, Bridge, SWP, Johnson, Lescott etc..) and think twice about a move but I can't see that happening.

They haven't Lescott, and injuries ruined Duff. He was top class in his first few years at Chelsea.

Isn't Lescott a fair bit away from the England set up (he probably started the last 6 games)?

It's a tedious topic TBH. I hate Man Utd, largely because of Fergy and his antics, especially during the Keegan era. Yes, they have spent large amounts of money but it's been a slow growth for them and they kind of got lucky that they were the ones at the top during the start of the Premiership, what with T.V money etc.

Man City on the other hand, well we all know what they have done in the game in the last couple of years. Is it good for football? Well i think that, is still unclear at the moment. The money they plough into the game filters through to smaller clubs but it can be argued that their money takes the skill, somewhat, out of building a football club. However, i don't really have a problem with Mancini and their players are the best of a bad bunch (at the top of a league), i despise Chelsea's players for example.

What i will say is that both sets of fans are horrible. Man Utd fans because of how thick and narrow minded they are about all things football. City because they now think they are the best thing since sliced bread and all that "noisy neighbour" stuff makes me sick.

Who do i prefer? i don't care. Go on then, probably City but that could change.

Guest pintofscottsellers

A divnt like them, lived with a City fan at uni and ended up having to go to court because of him, would love it if they cocked it up at home

Would be nice for these players to look at some of the players these clubs have ruined (Duff, Bridge, SWP, Johnson, Lescott etc..) and think twice about a move but I can't see that happening.

They haven't Lescott, and injuries ruined Duff. He was top class in his first few years at Chelsea.

Isn't Lescott a fair bit away from the England set up (he probably started the last 6 games)?

He's one of the first names on the teamsheet for the likely champions, not sure I'd say he's ruined his career like. :lol:

I do believe we wont get 35 mill from Andy Carrol if it weren't because city & chelsea crazy shopping list that makes volatile the transfer market.... 35 mill does build us again somewhat from scratch the NUFC team we have now.

I don't get the distinction between what Man Utd has done by investing heavy over a few years vs City's mad purchase over two seasons, it's just a matter of time period. And why is getting a billionaire foreign investor not a legitimate way of raising funds? It's no different from an IPO which in total got Man Utd big bucks too, the only difference is that in an IPO, ownership is dispersed vs one owner (consortium). The amount of money raised/obtained can't be too far off. To attract whoever it is from Dubai, City (or an investment banker engaged) would have needed to sell the club to them, that this is a wise investment for them to throw in the cash in the first few years and slowly bring down spending in subsequent years. There is no way that City will be spending in excess of 100M every year. In fact I fully expect their spending to reduce significantly next season. If we are honest, in the current climate this is the ONLY way for a new team to get anywhere near the title (besides the big 4 who have already invested significantly over a few years). If you want to win the premier league you need world class players which surprise surprise don't come cheap.

The distinction is obvious, it lies in one club using money they've earned from their Footballing successes to create more success vs one that's just been given unlimited funds on the whim of a bored billionaire "here buy the league".

If you have no problem with that then fine (though I certainly do because IMO it devalues the entire sport) but don't try to claim there's no difference between Man U's success and Man Citys.

Many premiership club get crazy windfall from city & chelsea money. It because they suck on recruiting seems the money just gone with wind.

Player fees and wages have also gone up due to Chelsea and Man City.

So we get a scenario where because Man Utd, Arsenal etc were successful at the right time in the PL history, they get to form part of a small group of teams that earn significantly more money than everyone else?

Bollocks to that - absolutely no reason why someone shouldn't be able to fund a team's success in a non-organic way.

Many premiership club get crazy windfall from city & chelsea money. It because they suck on recruiting seems the money just gone with wind.

Player fees and wages have also gone up due to Chelsea and Man City.

no it didn't.... prove how the hell NUFC can do it?

A divnt like them, lived with a City fan at uni and ended up having to go to court because of him, would love it if they cocked it up at home

Did you get that sorted in the end mate?