Manchester City

OzzieMandias

I don't get the distinction between what Man Utd has done by investing heavy over a few years vs City's mad purchase over two seasons, it's just a matter of time period. And why is getting a billionaire foreign investor not a legitimate way of raising funds? It's no different from an IPO which in total got Man Utd big bucks too, the only difference is that in an IPO, ownership is dispersed vs one owner (consortium). The amount of money raised/obtained can't be too far off. To attract whoever it is from Dubai, City (or an investment banker engaged) would have needed to sell the club to them, that this is a wise investment for them to throw in the cash in the first few years and slowly bring down spending in subsequent years. There is no way that City will be spending in excess of 100M every year. In fact I fully expect their spending to reduce significantly next season. If we are honest, in the current climate this is the ONLY way for a new team to get anywhere near the title (besides the big 4 who have already invested significantly over a few years). If you want to win the premier league you need world class players which surprise surprise don't come cheap.

The distinction is obvious, it lies in one club using money they've earned from their Footballing successes to create more success vs one that's just been given unlimited funds on the whim of a bored billionaire "here buy the league".

If you have no problem with that then fine (though I certainly do because IMO it devalues the entire sport) but don't try to claim there's no difference between Man U's success and Man Citys.

precisely my point and echoes what hughesy says later...what's the alternative then?  is any club only able to eek away within their means while the same clubs reap in 10's of millions a year due to the head start they had?  fine they're clubs that have ran themselves well over time but so what, no-one's allowed to break that unless they do it over a 20 year period or whatever?

load of bollocks

look at us, we're one of the best examples in the league at the moment of clubs working well within their means but let's be honest, with the best will in the world it won't get us the title

look at us, we're one of the best examples in the league at the moment of clubs working well within their means but let's be honest, with the best will in the world it won't get us the title

We would have a much better shot if all the other clubs had to live within their means too though.

We would have a much better shot if all the other clubs had to live within their means too though.

manyoo, arsenal & spurs already do though...sorry but there's virtually no way we'd beat them to the title, it'd take a minimum of 5 years consistent quality and progress from us to get near

to be honest it's just as well chelsea & man city have come along at all or it'd have just been even more of a procession for manyoo the last 10 years....

I mentioned yesterday that people were selling "Manchester City: Champions" scarves in Manchester city centre. As it stands, looks like that's coming back to bite them on the arse.