Newcastle United 0 - 0 Fulham - 13/11/10 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Guest firetotheworks

Just got back from the match and a weekend on the lash. I imagine it's all been ploughed through before, but as you'd expect it was a disappointing match. The thing that annoyed me about the match the most though was the atmosphere and general attitude of most of the people I was surrounded by.

I'm not holier than thou, nor am I trying to be, but it says something when the best atmosphere was whenever Damien Duff had the ball and everyone joined in booing. It was like a pantomime, and I've never experienced as bad an atmosphere as during that match. Hats off to L7 and the Gallowgate corner who tried to get everyone up and supporting the team, though.

The booing at full time annoyed me a lot, but the booing at half time had me absolutely fucking raging. Not only is it completely detrimental to wanting your team (who are already putting everything into winning) to win, but it's completely ungrateful considering most able minded supporters expected us to be nowhere near the position we're in at the moment. Honestly, really disappointed in some of the fans.

I certainly didn't question the players efforts yesterday. In fact I've never thought at any time this season that they haven't been trying. It's just been the case that on a number of occasions we've simply not been good enough in all areas to take the 3 points.

This idea that the players must be trying because we've won and not trying because we've lost is beyond ludicrous.

You say we tried and won at Everton Jonny, if Fellaini had converted his chance at the end and we'd got a point, does that mean we tried less? Seem to remember Yakubu also having a good chance at the end... if he'd put that away and they'd sucker punched us late on and sent us away with nowt, does that mean we'd tried less after all?

Howay man, I expect better from you. It's f*** all to do with effort and everything to do with being a newly promoted side who will have ups and downs, home and away (and missing at least two key players, arguably more).

This expectancy that we're just going to turn up and beat established well organised Premier League sides is part of the reason we're not beating them.

Did I say we should have won them all? No I didn't. I said I expected better, at least 1/2 wins out of those five. Wigan in particular are terrible, Blackburn were there for the taking.

And I'm not saying result = effort at all. I'm saying that I don't think the effort they put into Blackburn and Fulham was good enough. We played well at Arsenal and Everton, and against Sunderland and Villa at SJP. I don't think we played very well in the last half an hour yesterday - we were just hoofing the ball up to Carroll and hoping for the best - we couldn't get past them so we gave up.

You know what, fuck it. It seems I'm insane and 'deluded' for expecting us to play well and win AT LEAST ONCE against a few shit teams. I obviously expect us to win every game and win the league like.

There's your problem right there, you and the entire east stand. Football isnt played on paper and you dont always beat the teams below you and lose to the teams above, you lot booing when things dont turn out as you expected and hoped are like children. Booing a team that is clearly putting the effort in is inexcusable if you want to call yourself a supporter.

It may be my imagination, but knee-jerk booing whenever any home team doesn't win a game that the fans expect them to win seems to have become quite widespread.

Every game is analysed in a lot more critical detail by the media these days, and the idea seems to have developed that a disappointing result must be somebody's fault. The reality is that most teams at this level are fairly evenly matched, and luck plays a significant part in how things fall.

Having watched the 60 minute highlights on Sky, it did look like we had some opportunities. The time to worry for the future is when we don't create chances in a match, not when we don't score.

It may be my imagination, but knee-jerk booing whenever any home team doesn't win a game that the fans expect them to win seems to have become quite widespread.

Every game is analysed in a lot more critical detail by the media these days, and the idea seems to have developed that a disappointing result must be somebody's fault. The reality is that most teams at this level are fairly evenly matched, and luck plays a significant part in how things fall.

Having watched the 60 minute highlights on Sky, it did look like we had some opportunities. The time to worry for the future is when we don't create chances in a match, not when we don't score.

I still think that Man Utd away is the only game in which the opposition have looked better than us and that has to be quite encouraging.

I also think that if Ben Arfa had played in games like Saturday we would probably have won them.

Fulham were very well organised, they are a tough team to break down. Add to that they had Andy Johnson back after a year out and I think you'll find they will be getting some good results at other grounds this season.

We weren't great, but we badly missed Shola and Barton. Lovenkrands didn't turn up and Guthrie disappeared up his own arse as usual.

Am I literally the only one that thought Lovenkrands didn't look that bad?  I thought he wasn't great, but he definitely looked to get into good positions and was a little off the pace of the match on a whole.  I think with a run in the team he could be a lot better.  He also offers other something other than long-ball.  If Barton were on the pitch I think Lovenkrands might've seen more of the ball.

Am I literally the only one that thought Lovenkrands didn't look that bad?  I thought he wasn't great, but he definitely looked to get into good positions and was a little off the pace of the match on a whole.  I think with a run in the team he could be a lot better.  He also offers other something other than long-ball.  If Barton were on the pitch I think Lovenkrands might've seen more of the ball.

Nope.

Nope.

Agreed. I honestly only saw the one clear cut chance he fluffed.

He offers nothing outside the 18-yard box and next to nothing inside it. I hope Hughton's not stupid enough to start him again, but he probably is, sadly.

Hang on a minute - I thought you rated Lovenkrands?  :kasper:

He just looked like he wasn't match sharp.  Another 90ish minutes and I think we'll see a lot more.  With a run in the team we'll see even more.

Yeah, of the bottom 3. I like the fact that people are completely ignoring his career prior to last season.

I didn't realise he was playing until I saw the highlights later on MOTD. He was invisible other than the fluffed chance. Carroll looked far too isolated something which has been a problem all season but looked much better since Shola came in as a strike partner in recent game.

Like Coloccini prior to last season? :shifty:

Yeah, it's exactly the same type of thing. Such was the ignorance, his career might as well have started in August 2008.

You only have to look at Lovenkrands' farcical time at Shalke to see just how feasible it is to 'give him a run of games' at this level - and in a tightrope season such as this.

I like the lad as a professional, but enough's enough.

On the subject of Loven-

I know for a fact this guy is not our answer for striking problems, and yes, he is a very limited player whom we need to replace in the summer if we stay up - But he was not as bad as made out on Saturday, it was a lot better performance than his one at Wigan. I agree with the "off the pace" comment, a lack of game time was evident in his play, and a Lovenkrands from his good run of form last year woud  have put away one of those chances he had. I don't remember him having 5 or 6 good opportunities, one at most. I reckon he's a better option than Ranger, because Ranger is so out of his depth, and doesn't quite have the mind yet to play in this league-

Like Coloccini prior to last season? :shifty:

Yeah, it's exactly the same type of thing. Such was the ignorance, his career might as well have started in August 2008.

You only have to look at Lovenkrands' farcical time at Shalke to see just how feasible it is to 'give him a run of games' at this level - and in a tightrope season such as this.

I like the lad as a professional, but enough's enough.

Wasnt Loven injured for one of his seasons at Shalke? And he played wide left in his first?

Not an argument to say the guy's good, I know he is very very meh and an average Championship player who offers more than Best & Ranger at this time imo.