On this day...

Tooj

56 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Does it not just all boil down to losing to Man Utd (h) in March? If we win that game, even with the shit results at Arsenal, Blackburn, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham and Forest, we win the title. Even a draw may have not swung the momentum in their favour.

Yep, massacred them 0-1,  so we should be bemoaning Peter fucking Schemical (spelling will do) rather than our players.  

21 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

Totally agree on Batty, its irrefutable really, 8-10 out of 10 every match.

Gap was already 6points when he debuted. 3 by the end of his debut that we dominated. He's the last person to blame.

Batty and Beardsley apart I'd argue Tino was out best player after we signed him.

Won the game for us from the bench at Boro, goal and great assist at Man City, two beautiful assists and a goal against West Ham in a MOTM performance, great assist an goal at Liverpool, great assist against Spurs.

Ferdinand, Ginola, Gillespie and Lee I don't think contributed as much.

slightly harsh on Gillespie as he was the one who lost his spot in the first 11 really.

totally fair to point out that the front 4/5 misfired second half of the season to a degree but overall we stuttered at a bad time, a red juggernaut came up in the rear mirror and we couldn’t find the right response that make the second ball fall for you etc. all of the games were close in the last 3rd of the season and could have gone either way, the bounce deserted us

edit.

take 2 of the games against City, Liverpool, Blackburn and Forest and give a one goal swing to us in them then we go into the final game with it in our hands, at which point I reckon we beat Spurs. You were really looking at 3 goals across 5 games that resulted in us coming second

Edited by Colos Short and Curlies

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

Totally agree on Batty, its irrefutable really, 8-10 out of 10 every match.

Gap was already 6points when he debuted. 3 by the end of his debut that we dominated. He's the last person to blame.

Batty and Beardsley apart I'd argue Tino was out best player after we signed him.

Won the game for us from the bench at Boro, goal and great assist at Man City, two beautiful assists and a goal against West Ham in a MOTM performance, great assist an goal at Liverpool, great assist against Spurs.

Ferdinand, Ginola, Gillespie and Lee I don't think contributed as much.

It might also be of note that the three you mention - Batty, Beardsley, Asprilla - were three of the four regulars who’d actually won things before, and could deal with the pressure.  (Ginola won the title and cup with PSG - but he wasn’t the same after Arsenal’s thugs kicked up out of the LC QF).  Barton did once say that they ‘never really believed’ that they could win it.

This is also why I’m not sure with the counterfactuals re ‘if we beat X, we win it’.  I think there’s a good chance we don’t win it even if we beat Man Utd /Blackburn / Liverpool etc. 

I don't know how many times this has been discussed on here or amongst sorrowful toon fans late at night over a pint after another disappointed. I think it will be as long as the generation that were there live on :lol: Though it might take on a less depressing tone if we finally win the thing.

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I don't know how many times this has been discussed on here or amongst sorrowful toon fans late at night over a pint after another disappointed. I think it will be as long as the generation that were there live on :lol: Though it might take on a less depressing tone if we finally win the thing.

Aye, it would be a catharsis for those of us who were a bit scarred by it :) 

For what it’s worth, as much as I love KK, I think Howe is a steelier character- and his team reflects that

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Does it not just all boil down to losing to Man Utd (h) in March? If we win that game, even with the shit results at Arsenal, Blackburn, Liverpool, Man City, West Ham and Forest, we win the title. Even a draw may have not swung the momentum in their favour.

Just a draw would've seen us go into the last day a point ahead even with all the other results the same. One fucking goal difference. The gap ended as 4 points, but that includes the 2 dropped on the final day, when things were over really - expect that game would've been quite different if it'd been in our hands.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

16 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It might also be of note that the three you mention - Batty, Beardsley, Asprilla - were three of the four regulars who’d actually won things before, and could deal with the pressure.  (Ginola won the title and cup with PSG - but he wasn’t the same after Arsenal’s thugs kicked up out of the LC QF).  Barton did once say that they ‘never really believed’ that they could win it.

This is also why I’m not sure with the counterfactuals re ‘if we beat X, we win it’.  I think there’s a good chance we don’t win it even if we beat Man Utd /Blackburn / Liverpool etc. 

I get your theory, we didn’t have enough winners/believe we could do it etc., but the facts of the matter are we would have won the league (all other things being the same) if we had beaten Man Utd at home; check the eventual points total. We didn’t deserve to win away, but we were definitely the better side at home. To my mind a more one sided game than the 5-0 the following season. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I get your theory, we didn’t have enough winners/believe we could do it etc., but the facts of the matter are we would have won the league (all other things being the same) if we had beaten Man Utd at home; check the eventual points total. We didn’t deserve to win away, but we were definitely the better side at home. To my mind a more one sided game than the 5-0 the following season. 

I know where you’re coming from, but that’s assuming that following a victory the season continues as it had.  Every match would be changed as a result

The 1-1 draw in 94/95 was more one-sided than the 5-0 too. They couldn't get out of their half in the second-half.  Heck of a performance.

Albert was another whose form held up in the second half of the season. Showed real desire and leadership. (*Also a title winner previously)

It was harsh on Gillespie as he only came back against QPR, but he didn't perform well indiviually in those games but maybe gave balance.

Remain convinced we were the better team. Not sure how many games we were second best in, maybe West Ham & Arsenal away and Liverpool at home but there wasn't much in it compared to what we did to Man United and Leeds and Liverpool twice ran rings round them and Spurs thrashed them. Nobody did that to us.

Edited by Wolfcastle

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Possibly the worst day of my Newcastle supporting life, also the first time I smoked dope, In a local pub as a pint glass went through the television screen showing match of the day  

This was my first brush with devastation supporting these daft cunts. Humiliation lived just round the corner

33 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

Keegan first game as manager 31 years ago today. 3 nil v Bristol City. A pivotal moment in our history. 

Also Clarence Acuna’s birthday!! 

Trippier free-kick v Everton a year ago today. After the Leeds away win this was the one that had me convinced we'd stay up easily.

6 hours ago, OCOCOL said:

Keegan first game as manager 31 years ago today. 3 nil v Bristol City. A pivotal moment in our history. 

Also Clarence Acuna’s birthday!! 

Wow, because it was a similar day, spring creeping in, to today I can almost taste that.

Was like a religious experience when he just came back (and I never knew him as a player) but that game was something else.

Wish I could watch the video/ext highlights now.

Edited by Jonas

• 2 weeks later...