On this day...

Tooj

Infamous game at Derby in 92.

4minutes in the match was completely ruined and was resigned we were heading to division3.

2years later we were finishing 3rd in the Premier League as top scorers and qualifiying for Europe.

4years later Batty was smashing us ahead and I thought we were going to win the league.

What a ride.

Edited by Wolfcastle

3 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Every year I am reminded of that game at Ewood Park by NUFC.Com, and each time I am surprised to be reminded of how late Barry’s goal actually was

Elsewhere within their 'On this day' section...

"Everybody is contributing. This isn't about one player or one person, it's a combination of a lot of things that have gone on at this football club from Mike Ashley down, and everybody deserves the credit they are getting...

"Mike's (Ashley) put something like £273m into the club and he's not taken anything back. Since I've been here I have not really shouted his corner. Politically for me it's a minefield.

"I want to keep the fans in a good place but I would say to them, before they get emotional about it, that Mike has invested something like 25 per cent of his personal wealth in this football club. Ask me for 25 per cent of my money and you've got no chance. I don't care how good your idea is."

Wonder if any of us had considered, at the time, that we were being too emotional about it all. 

On 09/03/2023 at 20:48, bigfella said:

I can assure you it wasn't.

The roar from the Leazes was deafening at times.

Still the biggest home crowd I've witnessed and even as a seven year old, the atmosphere at big games was my favourite thing about going to the match.

Go to 46 40 in the Big Match footage of the game to see the Leazes in full voice.

Absoultey class watch this- cheers for posting mate!

My Da used to always bang about this match and I can see why!

• 3 weeks later...

38 years ago - 56 football fans lost their lives at Valley Parade - the footage of the fire, how quickly it spread and a few people literally on fire is absolutely harrowing :sad:

R.I.P

On 21/04/2023 at 09:59, Yorkie said:

Elsewhere within their 'On this day' section...

"Everybody is contributing. This isn't about one player or one person, it's a combination of a lot of things that have gone on at this football club from Mike Ashley down, and everybody deserves the credit they are getting...

"Mike's (Ashley) put something like £273m into the club and he's not taken anything back. Since I've been here I have not really shouted his corner. Politically for me it's a minefield.

"I want to keep the fans in a good place but I would say to them, before they get emotional about it, that Mike has invested something like 25 per cent of his personal wealth in this football club. Ask me for 25 per cent of my money and you've got no chance. I don't care how good your idea is."

Wonder if any of us had considered, at the time, that we were being too emotional about it all. 

When your personal wealth is above 2billion pounds, it's a bit different to someone who only has a few thousand. 

25 percent to a billionaire isn't going to take food off his kids table, where it may well do to the average person

1 hour ago, Paully said:

38 years ago - 56 football fans lost their lives at Valley Parade - the footage of the fire, how quickly it spread and a few people literally on fire is absolutely harrowing :sad:

R.I.P

If anyone hasnt seen this before

so so sad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Some turnaround in those 12 months.

image.png.88f11fe3578fce2a04d0fb7db807bb41.png

Watford. Only time I thought we were done walking out the ground. The whole season stunk of relegation. Losing leads. Late goals. Injuries etc. Even EH caught Covid and missed his own first league game! Got home and looked at the table and had a rethink. No one was pulling away from us. The rest is history.

Also the day I thought who’s this Joao Pedro. Looked class.

Yeah, post the Watford game I was on here questioning whether or not Eddie Howe was cut out for it. Then, over the following 22-and-a-half months, we won 48, drew 19 and lost 18. 

31 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, post the Watford game I was on here questioning whether or not Eddie Howe was cut out for it. Then, over the following 22-and-a-half months, we won 48, drew 19 and lost 18. 

Personally always felt he was; tactical improvements were there to see but too many individuals who were starting games in that run December-January were just not good enough at PL level and were costing us with ridiculous individual errors; Clark, Shelvey to an extent, Fernandez, Ritchie. Lascelles hopelessly out of form, Dummett getting game time. Was clear that we just needed good enough personnel in the windlw to execute what he was trying to do which we ended up getting; a focal point up top in Wood with Wilson being out, upgrades in defence with Burn, Targett and Trippier plus the quality in midfield of Bruno. Alas, the upturn that followed.

15 years ago yesterday, 2-1 away defeat to Man City under Kinnear. Some really depressing quotes from him in the post-match presser. [emoji38] Tickled at the one about him admitting to trying to flog Geremi for £4m the day before but it fell through so he had no choice to play him. And who on earth was Ebondo!?

Another colourful crop of JFK post-match comments:

On the penalty shout:
"I'd like to see whether Taylor was fouled or not - it looked like a cert penalty to me - it looked like he got wrestled to the ground, but that's the way things have been going of late.
"We did have two or three chances and got ourselves back in the game in the second half - we took more chances breaking forward. I would say we were the better side in the second half and deserved something out of the game."

On his own future:
"I don't think there's a problem there really because I've got a three-and-a-half year contract on the table that I myself haven't signed. I could have signed it three weeks ago but I'm prepared to leave the situation as it is until the end of the season and take stock then.
"It's a really tough job but I ain't gonna walk away from it. 
"I can see many other managers turned it down - but I wouldn't have thought it's as tough as it is now if I've got my key players back. Unfortunately most of them are injured or sitting on the treatment table so it will make things tougher."

On Shay Given and Charles N'Zogbia - or "insomnia" as Joe inadvertently christened him:

"Shay pulled out yesterday with a knee injury, as did N'Zogbia - who has an ankle injury. 
"I'm doing my best but it's tough. I've bent over backwards to keep Shay and I have told the powers
-that-be that he has got to stay. But I understand it from Shay's point of view. He's done 11 years at Newcastle and he wants a new challenge."

On Mike Ashley:

"Mike has lost £2bn* in his own business because of the credit crunch - it's not easy for him. He's paying the wages, just about. But it's in the records, you just have to look. I do not know what this club is worth, but at the moment we have to get on with it as best we can."
*(The Sunday Times put Ashley's wealth @ £1.4bn) 

On outbound deals:

"I tried to sell Geremi yesterday because I thought it would raise £4 million but that deal fell through so I had to play him tonight."

On inbound deals:

"I still think (Albin) Ebondo will come. I was supposed to have it done four days ago. Hopefully he will come and join us. Ebondo was due to come in on Wednesday night from France, but we're still tied up in negotiations. 
The original price was £2.5m but they moved the goalposts and it's now £3m. We are still out in France negotiating. It's been two weeks now, so we have to wait and see."

On the immediate future:
"I don't know what team we will play next week and it's our biggest game of the season. This is the way it has been for us all season - we are chopping and changing every week. We've got one fit striker and that's Andy Carroll."

On his own personal frustrations:

"It's devastating when you look at a club like Tottenham offering £16m for this player, £14m for that player. I would love to go and spend millions like that and I wish I was in the position to do so. 
"But you can see why a lot of big names out there didn't have the arsehole to take this job. You can see why so many people bottled it."