On this day...

Tooj

The origins of that was Lou Macari's comments after we thrashed Stoke (awesome performance btw) towards the same referee Gerald Ashby.

I've got the raw feed of the broadcast/recording and his rant is a proper act, he was laughing and joking before the cameras rolled.

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I can't put into words how much I hated that league cup match against Arsenal like. They got away with murder and Ginola was never the same after it. 

You've reminded me that the commentary for that and the Chelsea cup game were horrifically biased against us, like plucky Arsenal and Chelsea were giving the mighty Newcastle a contest.

Easily one of the best. I give him half a pass because London was his ITV region (like Roger Thames for us) so he's serving two masters with nationwide broadcasts but the general view that he was very bias to the London clubs is hard to fully ignore.

44 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Brian Moore wasn't it? It was a shame, because otherwise I thought he was an excellent commentator. 

Chelsea was Jimmy Hill and the rest of the BBC lot. It was like Chelsea TV. Few more satisfying goals than our last minute equaliser though we naturally fucked the replay

11 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Chelsea was Jimmy Hill and the rest of the BBC lot. It was like Chelsea TV. Few more satisfying goals than our last minute equaliser though we naturally fucked the replay

Kept the treble dream alive.

(for people who weren't around at the time, that's not a joke)

I watched that Chelsea match during lock down I think - the full thing's on YouTube. Was actually pretty surprised by how poor we were that day. 

I was at the replay and I've hated Chelsea ever since. :lol:

Edited by Kid Icarus

Yes, I have a distinct memory of us being poor too, which added to the bias made it a horrible Sunday afternoon up until the Les goal. I have said it before, and stats might say otherwise, but us being the ones to get the last minute and undeserved sickener felt like the opposite of what would ordinarily happen to a Keegan Newcastle team. Only other example off the top of my head is the Liverpool game in 95. 

Edited by Hovagod

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I watched that Chelsea match during lock down I think - the full thing's on YouTube. Was actually pretty surprised by how poor we were that day. 

I was at the replay and I've hated Chelsea ever since. :lol:

Which game is this?

As if we had a treble dream btw :'(

Just now, TheGuv said:

Which game is this?

As if we had a treble dream btw :'(

The 1-1 at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup - that one's on YouTube, or it was in 2020. The replay is the one that went to penalties, with Wise, Eddie Newton, and Gullit dancing in front of their fans in the corner. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfcastle said:

12points clear, Quarter-Finals of the cup and by far the best team left in it and the FA Cup starting, be weird not to think that.

Being a Nipper at the time, and very aware of the 12 point lead and the League Cup Quarter Final Ginola game, I’ve never really been aware of the FA Cup match.

I’ve looked back through the results and our season really cocked up within a few weeks. Out of both cups and the league form started to suffer. Must have been horrible to watch.

2 hours ago, Bizza said:

Still annoys me to this day. The "offside" player is nowhere tge keepers line of sight. A couple of weeks later Negredo in an offside position steps over the ball.....goal given.

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I bet about once every two years, but I stuck a tenner on Sheffield United to beat us 1-0 that day. Just seemed so inevitable. 

wasn't there a similar situation with Derby under allardyce when we lost 1-0. I remember being at the SJP match and we didn't even beat them then and derby went down with an embarrassing points total but 4 points off us. Miller springs to mind

1 minute ago, Mr Pups said:

wasn't there a similar situation with Derby under allardyce when we lost 1-0. I remember being at the SJP match and we didn't even beat them then and derby went down with an embarrassing points total but 4 points off us. Miller springs to mind

Derby were the better team up here and we got a late, fortunate equaliser.

Edited by madras

On 10/01/2023 at 16:42, TheGuv said:

Being a Nipper at the time, and very aware of the 12 point lead and the League Cup Quarter Final Ginola game, I’ve never really been aware of the FA Cup match.

I’ve looked back through the results and our season really cocked up within a few weeks. Out of both cups and the league form started to suffer. Must have been horrible to watch.

I was about 14 at the time and had to share a ST with my bro. The season seemed to come apart with that arsenal match away, we'd beaten liverpool away (steve watson wonder goal and could have had a hattrick) and our reward was another away match at arsenal. Think we'd already beat stoke away 0-4 so luck wasn't on our side with cup draws despite our achievements that season (chelsea AWAY in FA cup too!) Arsenal were pissed off because we'd beat them at home 2-0 quite convincingly in the league and rioch basically had a game plan to hack the shit out of us. I've never seen a team get so little protection from a ref, even Winterburn started walking at one point but then realized the ref didn't give him a second yellow for another x-rated tackle. 

Lee Dixon was a really nasty piece of shit back then, after getting hacked about 20 times Ginola finally retaliated and smashed the cunt. The pathetic little man rolled around like it was the greatest miscarriage of justice of all time. 

Ginola wasn't the same after that game and started to shy away from the left flank, predictably coming inside and Sir Les goals dried up. 

Another really important factor in our season was a challenge by Phil Neville on Keith Gillespie at OT. I don't think he was even booked but Gillespies season was mostly over and he'd been our best outlet with Ginola. 

In hindsight I wish KK had maybe kept Scott Sellars and Ruel Fox till the end of the season because it was the loss of 2 world class wingers to injury/form that cost us everything that season

One of the most mental games I've seen at SJP (or anywhere!)!

I sued to sit with my old man and his two mates when I was a bairn in the benches and one of his mates left when they got their 4th - he didn't know we won until he got in the house and his wife asked why he was in so early :D He never left a game again early after it!