Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Isn't alcohol illegal in Qatar?

At the minute alcohol is legal but still frowned upon. The only 'bar' I bothered with when we were there a couple of months ago was in the hotel. It's illegeal to be drunk in public as well.  It's obviously more liberal than Saudi but not compared to Bahrain where they couldn't care less.

I definitely think it's a strange choice having it in an Islamic country where the laws are so strict compared to the rest of the world but I suppose FIFA are organising a tournament not a piss up.

Tournament should = piss up tbh.

I'm still angry like. 2 worst possible choices man  :weep:

Fully agree mate just trying to understand FIFA's thought process. Just seem like weird decisions both of them.

Gonna start the conspiracy theories now by suggesting that FIFA gave it to Russia to revive their fucked economy and national morale, and that they gave it to Qatar due to a brown envelope handed over on the golf course by some corrupt Arab in an attempt for them to show off to their other Arabic neighbours.

Multi Millionaire footballers, 67 million just to premier league agents last year,

Meanwhile hundreds of thousands of us are bled dry in grass roots football

The hypocracy of our bid, talking nonsense of helping billions of youngsters through the empty rhetoric of  'Football United' whatever that means.

I could not think of anyone better to represent the paper thin facade of our game where everything is syphoned off to the top than a Royal prince, an old Etonian prime minister and the grotesqe ubercelebrity of brand Beckham.

Shed no tears for any of them, they will continue to line their pockets, that should heal their pain at least.

:clap:

Top post.

At the minute alcohol is legal but still frowned upon. The only 'bar' I bothered with when we were there a couple of months ago was in the hotel. It's illegeal to be drunk in public as well.  It's obviously more liberal than Saudi but not compared to Bahrain where they couldn't care less.

I definitely think it's a strange choice having it in an Islamic country where the laws are so strict compared to the rest of the world but I suppose FIFA are organising a tournament not a piss up.

Fully agree mate just trying to understand FIFA's thought process. Just seem like weird decisions both of them.

Gonna start the conspiracy theories now by suggesting that FIFA gave it to Russia to revive their f***ed economy and national morale, and that they gave it to Qatar due to a brown envelope handed over on the golf course by some corrupt Arab in an attempt for them to show off to their other Arabic neighbours.

It could well possibly be true you know.

Our commitment to plough money into grassroots football might have backfired on us - the last thing Blatter wants is more successful English clubs and a more successful England side. He's made no secret of his disdain for English football in the past.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think you'll find that the Football Foundation has pretty much pulled back on providing a lot of funds for various Grassroot Projects now. :(

Bit baffling really. Not that bothered in all honesty but I'm sure Russia will put on a bit of a show in 2018.

I'd love FIFA to come out and explain the logic behind playing the biggest football tournament on Earth in Qatar in July in temperatures of 40 fucking degrees though. That would be interesting to hear. :lol:

Gonna start the conspiracy theories now by suggesting that FIFA gave it to Russia to revive their f***ed economy and national morale, and that they gave it to Qatar due to a brown envelope handed over on the golf course by some corrupt Arab in an attempt for them to show off to their other Arabic neighbours.

It could well possibly be true you know.

Wouldn't surprise me mate. The only reason the last company I worked for got a job in Saudi was due to a golf course meeting our chairman had with the Saudi boss.  I've posted it before on here but I was shocked to find that most of the employees on the payroll of the Saudi company I was contracted to didn't actually work for them at all. They had friends in high places who were more than willing to add them to the payroll and accept these envelopes as well lol. 

I suppose it happens over here as well but to nowhere near the extent I saw it happen over there.  Just wondering when Ramadan and the Eid holidays are in 2022? They'll have to change the World Cup dates if it clashes.

Thats a good job, FIFA couldn't organise a piss up in a Brewery.

Thats a good job, FIFA couldn't organise a piss up in a Brewery.

Haha, like it. Must be tired because I didn't see it coming.

Qatar's bid for 2022 looks dead in the water. FIFA weren't overly impressed with their idea of building temporary stadia.

another Mystic Meg here

Hey twatty bollocks. I made that comment afer the inspection team reported Qatar's bid as "very high risk"'due to the absurd temporary stadia plan.

Qatar's bid for 2022 looks dead in the water. FIFA weren't overly impressed with their idea of building temporary stadia.

another Mystic Meg here

Hey twatty bollocks. I made that comment afer the inspection team reported Qatar's bid as "very high risk"'due to the absurd temporary stadia plan.

so fifa ignored its own inspection team...............

another Mystic Meg here

They're FIFA, of course they did.

another Mystic Meg here

Listening to Five Live before,  one of their regular journalists was saying that during England's bid for 2006, the technical aspects had been rated lower than South Africa's and when the journalist questioned one of the FIFA members about it, he was basically told, very matter-of-factly, that the technical reviews basically means nothing and is pretty much ignored.

FIFA needs ripping apart, the whole organisation is absolutely rotten to the core. It's run like a dictatorship, answers to nobody and therefore does what the hell it wants.

another Mystic Meg here

Never trust an inspection team in that neck of the woods.

another Mystic Meg here

Never trust an inspection team in that neck of the woods.

:lol:

Niall Quinn admitted England's failure to land the 2018 World Cup was "hard to take" after Russia won the right to host the tournament.

Sunderland's chairman cut a disconsolate figure after FIFA president Sepp Blatter confirmed the Russian bid had won the day.

Quinn had been central to the bidding process throughout as Sunderland applied for and got host city status before playing host to the FIFA inspection committee.

But England's bid was eliminated in the first round, a fact which particularly rankled with Quinn, a former international with the Republic of Ireland.

Speaking to safc.com in the aftermath of the decision, he said: "For us as a region it's really hard to take, because we all felt we had a great chance.

"We had everything in place. From day one there was a responsibility on us to put a good bid together. We were highly commended during the national bid process and were then selected to look after the FIFA delegates on their inspection visit.

"We took that very seriously and we know we scored well on the technical report. We felt that there was no guesswork in our bid - everything was there.

"What I hadn't bargained for is the politics of FIFA, and what I can't digest is that we went out in the first round of voting.

"If that happened then there certainly is something mysterious involved in the politics. If a bid of our strength can't get past the first round then we have to look at other reasons as to why it failed."

But Quinn nonetheless searched for a positive to take, highlighting the need for the region to maintain the valuable partnerships built up during the bidding process.

He said: "Lots of people left this room haven given 18 months of their life to this. It is very hard to take.

"The only thing we can do is accumulate the positives that have built up over the last 18 months.

"Our relationships with the council are so much stronger and we must build on them now. We know we can do better things together than we have done in the past.

"Everyone bought into it - the people, the university, the local media and businesses from companies like Nissan and Catterpillar all the way down to the small firms.

"There was a collectiveness and a belief - we must tap back into that in the future and make sure it doesn't disappear."

WWW.ShiteclubAFC.sc.um

England may not have been successful in its bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup, but candidate host city NewcastleGateshead is still looking forward to the next ten years of world class sporting events in the North East.

NewcastleGateshead is already home to the most iconic half marathon on the Planet - the Great North Run, Diamond League athletics at Gateshead International Stadium and top flight football at St James' Park. The next ten years sees some of the world's biggest sporting events arrive in the region.

David Faulkner, Leader of Newcastle City Council and Chair of the NewcastleGateshead World Cup Champions Group said: "Although England has not been successful in its bid to host World Cup football in 2018, NewcastleGateshead has demonstrated it is ready, willing and able to host the biggest sporting events in the world.

"NewcastleGateshead still has a ten year programme of sporting events to look forward to including; London 2012 Olympic football at St James' Park, the Ashes Cricket in Durham 2013, pre-event training camps for Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014 and we also have the potential to host the Rugby League World Cup in 2013 and the Rugby Union World Cup in 2015.

"Although we are disappointed with FIFA's decision, NewcastleGateshead remains a world-class destination for sport. Over the past 18 months, businesses and attractions from both the public and private sector have come together to form a strong partnership which has shown we have the infrastructure, facilities and ambition to compete on a world scale and that is something we should celebrate."

Sarah Stewart, Chief Executive of NewcastleGateshead Initiative said: "NewcastleGateshead welcomes visitors from across the globe and is a growing destination of choice for city breaks in the UK.

"There's something for everyone with world-class attractions, international sporting events including the Great North Run, and a packed programme of year round festivals and events including the Evolution Weekender and EAT! NewcastleGateshead. These events will continue to take NewcastleGateshead to a global audience and encourage visitors from all over the world to the destination.

"NewcastleGateshead is regularly profiled in international lifestyle magazines and travel features, most recently the New York Times, providing the kind of high-profile coverage that will continue to drive NewcastleGateshead's popularity."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20101202/newcastlegateshead-heralds-next-ten-years_2281670_2235715