Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This is what happens when FIFA get greedy. They sell the rights to a whole tournament to a tiny nation with no historical ties to the game and the competition gets moved to the winter. Were England bidding for the 2022 WC? It's scandalous that it's gone to Qatar. Fans should just boycott it tbh. 

This is what happens when FIFA get greedy. They sell the rights to a whole tournament to a tiny nation with no historical ties to the game and the competition gets moved to the winter. Were England bidding for the 2022 WC? It's scandalous that it's gone to Qatar. Fans should just boycott it tbh. 

Nah, it was Australia, USA, South Korea, and Japan.

I'd be expecting them to be challenging FIFA with a lawsuit as the whole process is now redundant given they were bidding for a June/July World Cup. Not a Dec/Jan one.

This is what happens when FIFA get greedy. They sell the rights to a whole tournament to a tiny nation with no historical ties to the game and the competition gets moved to the winter.

Precisely.

It's a pathetic situation, which lots of people raised before the decision was made, yet the decision went the way it did purely because of money.

And the weather thing is only one of the problems - there's then the whole mountain of questions about playing the tournament in such a repressive country.

The FA should host an invitational summer Tournament in 2022. Invite all the top International Teams. Call it the Corld Wup or something.

NEVERMIND.

FIFA Executive Committee (ExCo) is an institution of FIFA (the governing body of association football). It is the main decision-making body of the organization in the intervals of Congress. Its members are elected by the FIFA Congress.

Yeah I hope each league sticks to their guns on this and just say we are playing through the winter regardless. Either way FIFA lose, if players chose to go to the World Cup then the leagues will get less interest and as a twist less TV money goes to FIFA, if it's the other way around the whole World Cup is fucked.

As it happens I think the football season in the UK should be during summer as there is too many games called off during winter (especially lower league clubs) and harsher travelling conditions. It could also mean lots more families and children attend games because of the holidays.

@honigstein

Blatter to @SkySportNewsHD: "ExCo will follow my proposal to move 2022 World Cup to winter. Can't air-condition whole country"

thats what they sold the idea of bringing the world cup there in the first place :facepalm:

World Cups going to die in that one, not a hope the European clubs will let this go on without putting up a fight and frankly, FIFA needs them more than they need FIFA

@honigstein

Blatter to @SkySportNewsHD: "ExCo will follow my proposal to move 2022 World Cup to winter. Can't air-condition whole country"

Why pick them then you embarrassing cunt?

How would club football even function with this? Presumably the club season would need to end a month or so before the WC starts to give teams prep time and so players can rest in the lead up to it. Then you have the month of matches and then possibly another month of rest for the players. Unless of course clubs just have to do without their best players for two months of the season and club football is only suspended for one month or 6 weeks. Either way the whole thing is an utter shambles.

Is it even possible for clubs, leagues and players to boycott the World Cup and continue to play club matches during the winter? It's a bit extreme, but then it's the clubs more than anything that face the consequences of the move to winter.

@honigstein

Why pick them then you embarrassing c***?

"let's just say it moved me TO A BIGGER HOUSE...oh shit i said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud"

Blatter is a corrupt arsehole. The sooner he fucks off the sooner football can start healing.

No point really, Platini is just as corrupt and even more backwards thinking than Blatter and it is well known that he will be the next president of FIFA.

@honigstein

Why pick them then you embarrassing c***?

"let's just say it moved me TO A BIGGER HOUSE...oh shit i said the loud part quiet and the quiet part loud"

:lol: :thup:

If they do move it to winter '22 then the FA should decline to enter qualification for it. Lead the way, hopefully other european FA's will follow suit and even if they don't then fuck them who cares.

Like has ben said many times, qatars bid was succesful because they said they could cool the stadia. With technology not yet invented. Fucking laughable man! If they can't do it give the world cup to a country that can actually host it.

How would club football even function with this? Presumably the club season would need to end a month or so before the WC starts to give teams prep time and so players can rest in the lead up to it. Then you have the month of matches and then possibly another month of rest for the players. Unless of course clubs just have to do without their best players for two months of the season and club football is only suspended for one month or 6 weeks. Either way the whole thing is an utter shambles.

Is it even possible for clubs, leagues and players to boycott the World Cup and continue to play club matches during the winter? It's a bit extreme, but then it's the clubs more than anything that face the consequences of the move to winter.

Technically FIFA can ban players that refuse to be called up. I expect most FAs to quietly accept FIFA's bidding.

But I really can't see clubs accepting this. Not in the slightest.

To be frank, even while I'm happy of regulations like these (We have similar in Spain), from a neutral standpoint I don't understand what's so important about international football for a society that it *must* be shown in free to air.

Panem et circenses comes to mind.

To be frank, even while I'm happy of regulations like these (We have similar in Spain), from a neutral standpoint I don't understand what's so important about international football for a society that it *must* be shown in free to air.

Fuck off! :lol:

I think the principle is that these teams represent the nation, are important to our culture, and shouldn't only be available to a select few to watch.

The average football fan can't afford expensive sports packages.

I feel I have a right to watch our national teams on our national TV providers.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the FA are once again looking to put their tongue to Fifa's boot.

FA chairman Greg Dyke says his organisation will back any plan to move the date of the 2022 World Cup.

The tournament is due to be held in Qatar in the summer but Dyke thinks the hot weather there at that time of year will necessitate a switch.

Speaking at a Friday press briefing, he said: "I don't know how many people here have ever been to Qatar in June.

"I have, and the one thing I can tell you is that you couldn't play a football tournament in Qatar in June.

"Even if all the stadia are air-conditioned, which seems in terms of green policy a bit strange, I just don't think it's possible. For the fans, it would be impossible.

"I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or it will have to be moved to another location. And I suspect the former is more likely than the latter."

"So, I think my position, and I suspect the FA's position, will be you can't play it in the summer in Qatar.

"FIFA therefore has got two choices. You either move it time wise or you move it to another location. I suspect either ends up in some sort of litigation.

"I think it's now genuinely becoming accepted that you can't play it in Qatar in the summer and I think that will be our position.

"I understand the reaction of the Premier League to not want to move it, and I have some sympathy with them. We didn't have to choose to give it to Qatar in the summer, but that's what it is.

"I think it will either have to be moved out of the summer or it will have to be moved to another location. And I suspect the former is more likely than the latter."