Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Canada are going to make a serious bid for the next World Cup that they are eligible to host. It would be nice to see them get it. It's growing sport over there, arguably more so than in the USA.I wouldn't be surprised of Canada didn't start their own MLS type league in the next 10-15 years if a few of their cities bidding for an MLS franchise get knocked back.

:lol: Assuming what you just said about South Africa was true,why would you want Canada to get it when they'll never love it more than hockey.

:lol:

Canada are going to make a serious bid for the next World Cup that they are eligible to host. It would be nice to see them get it. It's growing sport over there, arguably more so than in the USA.I wouldn't be surprised of Canada didn't start their own MLS type league in the next 10-15 years if a few of their cities bidding for an MLS franchise get knocked back.

:lol: Assuming what you just said about South Africa was true,why would you want Canada to get it when they'll never love it more than hockey.

There is a clear indication that the sport is growing in Canada now. It won't be to leave a legacy behind, just more of a natural development.

It'll have been 20 years since we last hosted and we had to share it with the midgets across the pond back then.  Don't think it's too soon.

We'd certainly run a better tournament than anyone else outside Europe. 

I think North and South America should be counted as one area when rotating the bids.  There is realistically only a couple of countries who could put a World Cup on and that is the USA and now Brazil.  I recall reading that since the tournament was expanded to 32 countries, bidding countries have to have a certain number of cities to host games and that means virtually all countries in South America are unable to bid which is why Brazil had no rivals when it came to being South America's turn.  Even Argentina would have a problem with the tournament in its current format.  I am not sure if Mexico could cope now even though they have also hosted the World Cup previously.

On that basis, it means that the US and Brazil will get to host the World Cup regularly compared to countries in Europe.

:lol: How many "cities" does Qatar have?

I think North and South America should be counted as one area when rotating the bids.  There is realistically only a couple of countries who could put a World Cup on and that is the USA and now Brazil.  I recall reading that since the tournament was expanded to 32 countries, bidding countries have to have a certain number of cities to host games and that means virtually all countries in South America are unable to bid which is why Brazil had no rivals when it came to being South America's turn.  Even Argentina would have a problem with the tournament in its current format.  I am not sure if Mexico could cope now even though they have also hosted the World Cup previously.

On that basis, it means that the US and Brazil will get to host the World Cup regularly compared to countries in Europe.

:lol: How many "cities" does Qatar have?

You could argue that it only really has 1, Doha. Doha has a population smaller than that of Tyne and Wear. All other regions (not cities) of Qatar have a population smaller than that of Newcastle, in fact in most of them the population of of Whitley Bay is greater. In fact there is one region of Qatar where you could fit the entire population inside Hillheads stadium (Whitley Bay's stadium).

isn't half the proposed stadiums for that one supposed to be in Doha anyway?

Yeah, exactly half of them are in Doha, the rest are all not far outside of Doha.

It makes a mockery of another of FIFA's rules about hosting a world cup. No more than two venues in 1 city.

Give it 15-20 years and Colombia could host a cracking tournament, assuming their current economic trajectory holds. Had the 2011 U-20 WC, which was a success by all accounts.

Read a few things a while back they want 2030 to go back to Uruguay, co-hosting with Argentina. Can't see it mind. No market for advertisers nevermind the lack of infrastructure.

• 5 weeks later...

Give it 15-20 years and Colombia could host a cracking tournament, assuming their current economic trajectory holds. Had the 2011 U-20 WC, which was a success by all accounts.

Read a few things a while back they want 2030 to go back to Uruguay, co-hosting with Argentina. Can't see it mind. No market for advertisers nevermind the lack of infrastructure.

Fairly sure they were supposed to host the 86 World Cup. Can't remember why it went to Mexico who'd hosted one a mere 16 years earlier and suffered a terrible earthquake iirc . Something happened and I forget what, which made FIFA take it off Colombia.

Fairly sure they were supposed to host the 86 World Cup. Can't remember why it went to Mexico who'd hosted one a mere 16 years earlier and suffered a terrible earthquake iirc . Something happened and I forget what, which made FIFA take it off Colombia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup#Host_selection

you're right, had no idea tbh

It would certainly send Putin a strong message, but there's no way FIFA will get involved in this.

A few strong words might have a difference from the governments of the world but as things stand depending on world opinion and the results of the investigation it may be brushed under the carpet

• 2 months later...

This story just popped up on the Guardian website:

The 2022 World Cup will not be held in Qatar because of the scorching temperatures in the Middle East country, the Fifa Executive Committee member Theo Zwanziger predicted on Monday.

“I personally think that in the end the 2022 World Cup will not take place in Qatar,” the German told Sport Bild on Monday.

“Medics say that they cannot accept responsibility with a World Cup taking place under these conditions,” the former German football (DFB) chief, who is now a member of the world football’s governing body Fifa that awarded the tournament to Qatar in 2010.

Although Qatar has insisted that a summer World Cup is viable thanks to cooling technologies it is developing for stadiums, training areas and fan zones, there is still widespread concern over the health of the players and visiting supporters.

“They may be able to cool the stadiums but a World Cup does not take place only there,” Zwanziger said.

“Fans from around the world will be coming and travelling in this heat and the first life-threatening case will trigger an investigation by a state prosecutor. That is not something that Fifa Exco members want to answer for.“

Fifa is looking to shift the tournament to a European winter date to avoid the scorching summer where temperatures routinely rise over 40C (104F).