Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

As hateful and backward as Russia is at least parts of the country are passionate about football and have a history in the game. What the fuck does Qatar offer? Can't say I'd be happy if the US got it though considering their meddling in the region during this crisis. A European nation is the obvious choice for a short notice host. Spain or England although after Russia it has to go to a different continent doesnt it?

Talk of Qatar being stripped of hosting the world cup if their diplomatic relations don't improve. Us and the USA are favourites to step in.

Well we've gone into the middle east on flimsier pretext I guess.

• 2 months later...

I won't bang on about 30 for 30 anymore. (But y'all need to watch The Two Escobars)

Anyway, having just seen it for the 8th time it's blatantly obviously Colombia / Pablo bought the '86 world cup. Kinda like the next two were bought.

Funny how some of the most concrete allegations of anyone "buying" a world cup is Germany in 2006 yet nobody mentions it

Not sure there's much that can be done about that now chap bar prosecuting those responsible.

Similarly I've always wanted to see an FA Cup year where everyone starts in the same round who enters. Would be class seeing some of the pairings. Clubs would be able to play scratch teams when they go to random 13th tier team so fixture congestion shouldn't be a problem, random clubs would hit the jackpot when they get a massive club, and if Man U v Chelsea in mid August, tough s***.

Would never happen due to TV companies being cunts unfortunately. For example, assorted possible games like Bradford PA v Man City, Liverpool v Chelsea, Leeds v Man Utd, Stockport v Spurs would be televised if they were in a cup. With the amount of pairings you could get, they'd have a hard time picking them for TV. Not that I think it's a problem, just have some of them Saturday 3pm, but I doubt they'd see it that way.

So the Human Rights Watch has released a statement regarding the situations for the workers in Russia, at least 17 people dead (and you can probably multiply it by 4 at least to get a realistic number) and then you have the situation in Qatar on top of this which is by far worse. I find it extremely hard to find any sort of excitement for these World Cups, and to be honest, I almost hope teams refuse to go at some point.

I dont get all the hate towards countrys like Russia for example. Its allways the same every time...Russia are bad,Russia is the biggest threat to us, Russia dont have any human rights bla bla. Either you are easily manipulated by the media or you are without any knowledge. Its so much political b.s that gets in to ppls head.  Most of the human right organisations are paid to lie and manipulate. Russia is not more corrupt or evil than Usa,Uk or France for example.

Funny how some of the most concrete allegations of anyone "buying" a world cup is Germany in 2006 yet nobody mentions it

Not sure there's much that can be done about that now chap bar prosecuting those responsible.

Nobody cared at the time, or now because it was a wealthy European footballing nation doing it

Nobody cared at the time, or now because it was a wealthy European footballing nation doing it

Did anyone know at the time? I've only seen it mentioned the last couple of years. Guess with it not being a leftfield choice it probably didn't attract much investigation.

Did anyone know at the time? I've only seen it mentioned the last couple of years. Guess with it not being a leftfield choice it probably didn't attract much investigation.

2015 it came out I think. Can't remember it gaining much traction then. Think I only heard about it in a podcast

I will be supporting a boycott of Qatar. I will not even watch the qualifiers and sign whatever petitions are around.

I am on the fence about Russia.

Vlad the impaler did something similar

So the Human Rights Watch has released a statement regarding the situations for the workers in Russia, at least 17 people dead (and you can probably multiply it by 4 at least to get a realistic number) and then you have the situation in Qatar on top of this which is by far worse. I find it extremely hard to find any sort of excitement for these World Cups, and to be honest, I almost hope teams refuse to go at some point.

I dont get all the hate towards countrys like Russia for example. Its allways the same every time...Russia are bad,Russia is the biggest threat to us, Russia dont have any human rights bla bla. Either you are easily manipulated by the media or you are without any knowledge. Its so much political b.s that gets in to ppls head.  Most of the human right organisations are paid to lie and manipulate. Russia is not more corrupt or evil than Usa,Uk or France for example.

Corruption is everywhere in some degree (this is something you can't look past in any major event), but if you look at the build up in the major countries who host these big events throughout the years, what are the facts that are presented telling us? Would you be able to compare Qatar/Russia/Brazil etc. to let's say Germany, Sweden, France, and the USA in terms of human rights issues, political stances (such as everyone is equal regardless of which gender you prefer, the general person economy being in jeopardy etc) and general functionality? Are you saying you can't single out some countries to be more badly handled than others? And can't you expect more from a country like Russia especially seeing as they try to be this modern country? I am not saying everything is terrible in Russia, but clearly, they have some issues going on there that perhaps says that they shouldn't be hosting as much as they do in various sports, but as we know money talks on a whole different level from there.

One death is too much, and in these countries, multiple people die without these people blinking an eye because of it.

I am all for diversity in host countries, but it is extremely unlucky that Russia and Qatar are getting them and then clearly struggle to deliver a fair and structured setting for the workers.

bet you're dead weird

bet you're dead weird

:lol: proper freak and weirdo

I will be supporting a boycott of Qatar. I will not even watch the qualifiers and sign whatever petitions are around.

I am on the fence about Russia.

Brazil and South Africa are both poor and corrupt (more so than Russia) countries with long histories of racism and other transgressions that held fantastic World Cups. I don't understand why moral outrage has suddenly come to forefront for this tournament in particular.

I have spent time in Russia and enjoyed myself and plan to be there again in June of next year with my wife to see the preeminent sporting competition in the world. Nigeria and DRC are both top of their groups, and I am desperately hoping both qualify, so we can see our boys in action.

The Russia one isn't too bad tbf, at least it's a footballing nation. Just a bit disappointing that it's a country I have no interest in going to, even for a WC.

The Qatar one is clearly an utter farce though. No history, sweltering heat, corrupt as fuck, probably not allowed to get mortal in the streets. Not worthy.