Not worthy of a thread - 2018 FIFA World Cup edition

OzzieMandias
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portugal have arrived to their base in Kratovo (basically a posh forest resort, about 50 minutes by train from Moscow) and found out that each and every player's room was decorated with a customized photo. A specific player in action during his youth and during last season. Judging by Insta - Pepe and Gudes were well chuffed. This is the same place where Anzhi used to live back in their money-rich days, Eto'o and Bobby Carlos arriving by helicopter after a night out in Moscow, Bugattis and Ferraris in the parking lots, several personal fitness gurus and chefs hired by their owner, outlandishly expensive media brunches and all that. Tons of tales and anecdotes from that period. A rather cool gesture from the resort owners. Too bad their local side Saturn Ramenskoe are basically a bit crap now, down in the third tier.

Spain have arrived to Krasnodar and were met with a kazak (Cossack? I am not sure how you guys spell it) orchestra and some enormous loafs of bread (greeting your guest with bread and salt is sort of a ceremonial tradition here, although it's mostly done for important meetings with rich/influential forrins and weddings). Judging by the faces of some of their players, their wives and girlfriends must be very concerned. But it was Lopetegui's call, so if anything goes wrong, can't blame the players :lol: Iniesta was greeted like a God, will hear like a ton of adoring kids screaming his name when they have open training sessions at FC Krasnodar stadium.

Certain members of Mexican squad have allegedly arranged an orgy in their hotel a few days before departing for the World Cup. Or maybe, those dudes just had a few beers. Those tabloids.

Bumped into some Aussie politician commenting on thinking not once, not twice, but thrice before even considering a trip here. Which is quite funny because their national team is immensely popular among the casual fans in Russia, for some reason. I know a guy in Samara who was rather surprised that Viduka and Kewell were not picked, but is still ecstatic about seeing Cahill. But, truth to be told, he didn't really follow football for like ten years.

Iceland can also count on quite a few local neutrals' support. Here's a free drink (or ten) tip for any Icelander in Rostov-on-Don - wear your national team shirt everywhere. Three of their footballers play there and are rather popular among FC Rostov fans. CSKA are supposed to sign some tall Icelander from Bristol City as well. Those agents, like.

Most polls show that our fans expect the big prize to be contested between forrin forrins like Germany, Brazil, Spain, France and Argentina. Rather unsurprisingly, I might add. Portugal, Engalnd and Belgium (insanely overrated in my opinion) also got a few shouts in some of the polls that I studied. But teams like Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Nigeria and Sweden can also count on a quite a few people cheering them on for a variety of reasons. Mexico for an amazing party atmosphere their vast number of fans created last year at the Confederations Cup. Colombia because their current generation is rather popular as well (plus there will also be a lot of fans from there, can't wait). Peru can count on every Lokomotiv Moscow fan (Farfan factor and now like three guys from their squad linked with them). Nigeria have historically been the most followed African team among our football fans (along with Cameroon and Ivory Coast) and quire a few of their guys have played in our league. And we play like a ton of international hockey games, on every level, against those Swedes. Always a good laugh and plenty of beer and strong spirits, and their dudes don't freaking drool at our women like some other forrins do for obvious reasons :lol:

Just a week removed from my train to Kazan and (finally) some booze consumption as well. This whole "off the juice" thing is only ever good in small doses :lol:

Interesting report from the Helsinki Commission.

The 2018 World Cup hosted by Russia has created an unprecedented opportunity for the country’s kleptocrats to enrich themselves. Just as he did with the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, President Vladimir Putin has hijacked a world sporting event in an attempt to burnish his own image and enrich the Kremlin elite, rather than to celebrate sport and sportsmanship in Russia.

However, unlike the 2014 Winter Olympics, the World Cup has required multiple infrastructure projects in not just one, but eleven, host cities. Oligarchs, as well as regional and national officials, have worked together to embezzle assets from the tournament stadium construction and refurbishment to side projects of accommodation and transport. 

Mistreated and forced laborers have completed this work. Contractors have used and manipulated Russian and migrant workers to erect the stadiums and other structures that are essential to hosting a World Cup. For example, Russia has continued its unscrupulous use of North Korean forced labor to build St. Petersburg Zenit Arena, opened by President Putin himself in March 2017. 

https://www.csce.gov/sites/helsinkicommission.house.gov/files/Russia%20World%20Cup%20Design%20FINAL.pdf

The 2018 World Cup hosted by Russia has created an unprecedented opportunity for the country’s kleptocrats to enrich themselves. Just as he did with the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, President Vladimir Putin has hijacked a world sporting event in an attempt to burnish his own image and enrich the Kremlin elite, rather than to celebrate sport and sportsmanship in Russia.

However, unlike the 2014 Winter Olympics, the World Cup has required multiple infrastructure projects in not just one, but eleven, host cities. Oligarchs, as well as regional and national officials, have worked together to embezzle assets from the tournament stadium construction and refurbishment to side projects of accommodation and transport. 

Mistreated and forced laborers have completed this work. Contractors have used and manipulated Russian and migrant workers to erect the stadiums and other structures that are essential to hosting a World Cup. For example, Russia has continued its unscrupulous use of North Korean forced labor to build St. Petersburg Zenit Arena, opened by President Putin himself in March 2017. 

https://www.csce.gov/sites/helsinkicommission.house.gov/files/Russia%20World%20Cup%20Design%20FINAL.pdf

Only happens in third world crapholes like Russia, China and Brazil, I agree :lol: No one of serious wealth and influence has ever gained anything from any event anywhere else. Not a single illegal worker ever participated in building of sporting infrastructure in, dare I say it, States or Canada, for example. Never happened. Funny how the (overwhelming) majority of such events are held outside of our corrupt, murderous and hideous country, yet the whole corruption and oligarchs (we're the only ones who have them, obviously :D) thing is ever being brought up when serious economical and political interests collide, leading to a whole bunch of serious conflicts. Must be a coincidence. Simple solution. Everyone should boycott. That would obviously solve everything. :lol:

Billions at stake. Of course some people will get richer. What a shock.

Portugal have arrived to their base in Kratovo (basically a posh forest resort, about 50 minutes by train from Moscow)

A killing spree took place there last year didn't it?

I believe so, yes. A killing spree is of course unthinkable in the metro NYC or LA area, for example. We may even spot how the rich and powerful still prefer to live there and none of the cities loses any of the appeal. Unfortunately, that's the way huge cities roll. Posh and luxurious is never too far away from crime. I heard that London is a rather contrasting city, but still enormously appealing to millions of people all over the place. Did the athletes feel unsafe during the Olympics in 2012? Does the obvious answer to that question contradict that somebody probably murdered somebody during the event? Well, I rest my case. You'll have more of a chance to go deaf because of the loud music some of the residents flash their "my dick is bigger" cars with, than meet a serial killer there. :lol:

Only happens in third world crapholes like Russia, China and Brazil, I agree :lol: No one of serious wealth and influence has ever gained anything from any event anywhere else. Not a single illegal worker ever participated in building of sporting infrastructure in, dare I say it, States or Canada, for example. Never happened. Funny how the (overwhelming) majority of such events are held outside of our corrupt, murderous and hideous country, yet the whole corruption and oligarchs (we're the only ones who have them, obviously :D) thing is ever being brought up when serious economical and political interests collide, leading to a whole bunch of serious conflicts. Must be a coincidence. Simple solution. Everyone should boycott. That would obviously solve everything. :lol:

Billions at stake. Of course some people will get richer. What a shock.

Man, I thought I was being a dick but you just took the cake.  You can't compare your little third world craphole with modern nations.  Sure, there'll be a little graft and jobs for the boys but you lot just take the piss.  I seriously doubt you've actually read any of the links that have been posted in the last couple of pages.

Go back, read, if you still hold that view then fair enough.

Portugal have arrived to their base in Kratovo (basically a posh forest resort, about 50 minutes by train from Moscow)

A killing spree took place there last year didn't it?

I believe so, yes. A killing spree is of course unthinkable in the metro NYC or LA area, for example. We may even spot how the rich and powerful still prefer to live there and none of the cities loses any of the appeal. Unfortunately, that's the way huge cities roll. Posh and luxurious is never too far away from crime. I heard that London is a rather contrasting city, but still enormously appealing to millions of people all over the place. Did the athletes feel unsafe during the Olympics in 2012? Does the obvious answer to that question contradict that somebody probably murdered somebody during the event? Well, I rest my case. You'll have more of a chance to go deaf because of the loud music some of the residents flash their "my dick is bigger" cars with, than meet a serial killer there. :lol:

:lol: That's fair enough, I wasn't trying to provoke negative implications on Russia by raising that point by the way, it's just the first I'd heard of Kratovo since hearing of those murders last year.

Loving this Fedyan bloke :lol:

:lol: It's a quite wonderful display of Russian whataboutism in action.

Probably needs taking to the Russia thread in General chat though, not sure having all the world cup chat punctuated with massacres and international slavery is going to help keep the mood light