Sol Campbell

TRon

They have though by and large performed extremely well as a pairing, as has the back four. I agree with your overall point though, with a midfield as weak as ours today, the defence regardless of who is playing, will always struggle. Mind the forwards contributed to that as well as they were extremely impotent.

I agree, even Carroll wasn't working like he has done but like Tiote, he was playing the game of 2 players.

Guest Howaythetoon

Course I do, he's well past his best and to some extent it's sad to see. Still think he's easily good enough for us, though. At least for this season.

That's where I'll have to disagree. I hope I'm wrong though as I've always liked Sol as a player and character. I think in terms of experience he might bring more to this club than actual performances on the pitch though.

The performance as a whole was unacceptable.

People weren't saying he was finished last week, or after his performance at Manchester City as well.

I understand emotions are high, but some of this is knee-jerkism at its finest. Even more so than my opinion on Carroll's performance against Man City in 2009. ;)

Sol has been decent to be fair thi season when he's covered bar today, in which admitedly he was woeful. Certainly wouldn't say he's passed it yet, not the player he was by a long shot mind.

He's started one league game and one cup game before today.

He's also had reserve games and didn't look short of pace away to the Mackems.  He looked very fast and pulled us out of the shit a few times with his pace.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

His running isn't slow exactly, he's heavy but gets across ground well. I agree, his turning speed is slow.

I don't respect this place enough, was expecting to come on here and be controversial when I said he was no good. He was pretty excellent against Chelsea, though - I can see him being good against slower build-up style teams and worse when stretched due, as has been said, to his agility I suppose. Maybe Collocini playing a more intelligent version of Taylor's mad-arsed role could see Campbell play better in these kinds of matches.

Sol has been decent to be fair thi season when he's covered bar today, in which admitedly he was woeful. Certainly wouldn't say he's passed it yet, not the player he was by a long shot mind.

yeah and he looked good, which is what i'm judging him on...

So he's had one good game and one bad game. Yes, he was appalling today. But the whole team was. He's clearly going to have lost a bit of his physical abilities. But I'm willing to give him a bit more time than one bad game after months of not playing.