Alan Pardew

JH

I don't think we saw enough of Hughton or have seen enough of Pardew in the Premiership to use stats as any sort of evidence to big up either. There are all sorts of reasons why they got some of their good and some of their bad results. I really liked Chis Hughton and we all have reason to be grateful for what he did for this club. But you've got to call it as you see it - purely as a manager of this football club Pardew is an upgrade for me and there are no meaningful stats right now that will convince me otherwise.

That's fair enough, and I don't really like comparing/intend to compare them either - just trying to look at what's changed since Pardew's arrived.

I disagree about Pardew being an upgrade, but you're right that stats prove nothing on their own. The thing for me is that I've got annoyed, and sometimes really confused, over the last few months when I've seen some of the things people have said, as positives or negatives, about Pardew and Hughton's time at the club. Remember seeing a few statements which haven't matched up at all with anything I've seen, but only some of which are easier to disprove than others. At least above there are some hard facts, but whether anyone wants to/should draw any conclusions from them is up to them.

I don't think we saw enough of Hughton or have seen enough of Pardew in the Premiership to use stats as any sort of evidence to big up either. There are all sorts of reasons why they got some of their good and some of their bad results. I really liked Chis Hughton and we all have reason to be grateful for what he did for this club. But you've got to call it as you see it - purely as a manager of this football club Pardew is an upgrade for me and there are no meaningful stats right now that will convince me otherwise.

That's fair enough, and I don't really like comparing/intend to compare them either - just trying to look at what's changed since Pardew's arrived.

I disagree about Pardew being an upgrade, but you're right that stats prove nothing on their own. The thing for me is that I've got annoyed, and sometimes really confused, over the last few months when I've seen some of the things people have said, as positives or negatives, about Pardew and Hughton's time at the club. Remember seeing a few statements which haven't matched up at all with anything I've seen, but only some of which are easier to disprove than others. At least above there are some hard facts, but whether anyone wants to/should draw any conclusions from them is up to them.

:thup: No problems with that. Although my point on the stats is not so much aimed against the use of stats, it's more that neither has enough in the Premiership bank (with us) to make any analysis valid.

But yes it's a free world and my opinion on Pardew based on not very much is as valid as yours on Hughton based on not very much.

Pardew's relationship with the board might be good now.

Allardyce would have told them that he knows better than they do.

Keegan would have been too ambitious and sold it all on sentiment.

Kinnear was insane.

Hughton would just take what he has been given and work with that.

However Pardew I feel has the ability to put a reasoned well constructed business case to the board which I reckon they will be more receptive to.

3-0 up at home inside the second half then to concede 3 goals two of them after tactical substitutions doesn't look good. If he's being paid according to the position he achieves then he pretty much shot himself in the foot. Paying Kuqi for doing fuck all while losing £3m in a nano-second isn't going to help his cause either.

The subs he made on Sunday had me goosed I must say, unless some of the players had injuries they were just brainless choices.  How Strolla stayed on the pitch I don't know, he was fucked after 50 minutes, in Lovenkrands' defence he looked lively for once and was much more of a threat.  Ferguson being taken off instead of Ryan Taylor, who literally did nowt all game and bringing Alan Smith on is just pointless. 

The subs he made on Sunday had me goosed I must say, unless some of the players had injuries they were just brainless choices.  How Strolla stayed on the pitch I don't know, he was f***ed after 50 minutes, in Lovenkrands' defence he looked lively for once and was much more of a threat.  Ferguson being taken off instead of Ryan Taylor, who literally did nowt all game and bringing Alan Smith on is just pointless. 

i'm sure ferguson limped off.

Ferguson ran himself into the ground in the first hour. Wouldn't be surprised if he aggravated his knock from Chelsea, or was just worn out.

I'd have made a double sub there and then like. LuaLua and Best on, Fergie and Ameobi off.

Ferguson ran himself into the ground in the first hour. Wouldn't be surprised if he aggravated his knock from Chelsea, or was just worn out.

I'd have made a double sub there and then like. LuaLua and Best on, Fergie and Ameobi off.

If Ferguson was struggling then I would tend to agree.  There were 3 or 4 crosses across the face of goal that Lovenkrands would have got on the end of or at least gone for.  Shola was just too lazy/fucked to even make the run.  Best tired himself out doing all of Ameobi's work, at one point he won a flick on, then went and won his own knockdown, Shola was stood a yard or two away and just watched on motionless  :dave:

The less said about Smith the better.  Guthrie isn't great by any stretch, but at least he actually offers something.  Apart from lunging in dangerously and shouting at the ref I'm not sure what 'smudger' does exactly?

Kinnear was insane.

However Pardew I feel has the ability to put a reasoned well constructed business case to the board which I reckon they will be more receptive to.

This is basically my view as well. If Mike Ashley is sticking around for better or worse, then it's in everyone's interest to have a manager who can work with him and Llambias as well as possible.

Kinnear was insane.

This is basically my view as well. If Mike Ashley is sticking around for better or worse, then it's in everyone's interest to have a manager who can work with him and Llambias as well as possible.

More or less my view too.

The subs he made on Sunday had me goosed I must say, unless some of the players had injuries they were just brainless choices.  How Strolla stayed on the pitch I don't know, he was f***ed after 50 minutes, in Lovenkrands' defence he looked lively for once and was much more of a threat.  Ferguson being taken off instead of Ryan Taylor, who literally did nowt all game and bringing Alan Smith on is just pointless.  

i'm sure ferguson limped off.

Pardew told the Chronicle: “We’ve got to get him stronger.

“Fergie hit the wall against West Brom on Sunday.

“But he’s still young and developing – that’s where these players are at. They’re not there yet.

“If they do the work, they’ll threaten the team.”

However, Pardew could not grumble with Fergie’s contribution against the Baggies, with many fans opting for the once-capped Northern Ireland international as man of the match.

Pardew added: “Fergie was brilliant. It’s such a shame he couldn’t see the game out.”

http://nufc.com/2010-11html/goaltimes.html

Interesting graphs from NUFC.com. Hopefully Pardew can sort out that lapse of concentration as we head into full time!

Says more about our subs bench and squad size than anything else. Teams we've played have had quality players on the bench who can come on, fresh, and influence the last 20 minutes. You look at our squad and the injuries we've had and it's mostly been the likes of Ranger or Lovenkrands coming on. I think that explains the lack of goals scored. Also, as someone else pointed out, a lot of goals are scored near the end of games as players tire, concentrations lapses and space opens up, other teams have had players to exploit this but we just haven't had the squad.

As far as Pardew goes, he's done OK. He came into a difficult situation, Hughton was turfed out for no good reason and players and fans were upset. Pardew was never gonna come in with a weakened squad on a run of iffy form and massive scepticism against him and take us to a glorious finish, espescially when his star striker f*cked off a month later. He had nowt to work with in the transfer market and a limited squad, and largely went about it in a fairly dignified manner and the team continued as Hughton left it with passionate displays offset by injuries, inconsistency and ultimately a lack of forward threat.

I'm satisfied with the job he's done so far if I'm honest, but the real test will come in persuading our star players to stay, and/or building his own team this summer. Let's just hope it's a job of building a squad that has options on the bench and competition for places, and not rebuilding the first team because stars have been sold. We have a lopsided squad that contains both top 6 and relegation standard players. Take out the better players and gamble on unknowns and you know how it'll end.

Parew quotes from .com

:no:

"I spoke to Joey on the last day and I think we were both resigned that this contract was going to be a problem. Both of us are thinking next year we will be together and we will go on from there.

"Unless it changes over the summer and there's a bid in that the board, myself and Joey feel works for Joey, I think he will be here for the start of the season. The thing about contracts is, times change.

"I'm not upset about it. I was more upset when we thought we had agreed and there was a change of heart. I knew it would be a problem to come back from that.

"There was a lot of history between Joey and the board before I arrived. I just wanted to be honest with Joey and match him with clarity. That's what I have done.

"I've been open and up front with him - I made him the (acting) captain. We decided the best way was probably to wait for the season to end. Joey pulled all the way through and he will pull next year, even if he's in his last year; I know he will."

"We have been waiting to see his (Jose Enrique's) representatives, they are due here in the early part of next week. We are going to make Jose a very, very good offer and we are hoping he is going to accept it.

We are realistic about Jose, because the ball is in his court on that one, not in ours. He will be offered a fantastic contract here, he knows that, but still it is going to be down to his decision. I am still hopeful."

On the possibility that messrs Coloccini and Gutierrez could opt to follow Enrique out of SJP:

"Of course, but there is nothing we can do about that. All we can do is bring the best possible players in."