Alan Pardew

JH

He went up in my estimation on Sunday. Showed he cared, and showed the willingness to change it and give Ben Arfa his chance. got it right seconf half for me.

As pleased as I was with that second half, it's whether he'll finally learn it for the long term for me tbh.

Spot on that.  Norwich at home will be the key to see if he has learnt anything.  Another long ball game with Ba and Cisse up top, R.Taylor right wing and no HBA would be a joke.  If that happened, I would be done sticking up for him TBH.  Can't be judged too much on the Arsenal game, bit of a free pass to a certain degree IMO.

However, it will be similar to the Spurs game, except we will have better players available and be under a bit more pressure to perform.  Due to the dropped points in the last two 'winnable' games.  No win in three currently isn't it? 

Hopefully no letting our hair down comments, a wide open 4-4-2, no protection for the defence and a brainless gameplan.  As long as we put a performance in and don't get totally smashed out of sight, it would hopefully be apparant AP is learning from our last trip to North London.

A high line against Arsenal would be the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Not that anyone is suggesting it, like :lol:

Our general play and defending has been better when we play a high line in defence.

When our defence is deep it leaves gaps between def and mid, as well as mid and attack. We've often struggled when opposition players exploit the gap between defence and midfield. Also we seem to have a hard time building our attacks through the middle simply because our CMs' starting positions are too deep.

My opinion anyway. We do struggle against pace though so its really Pardew's job to find the balance.

Our general play and defending has been better when we play a high line in defence.

When our defence is deep it leaves gaps between def and mid, as well as mid and attack. We've often struggled when opposition players exploit the gap between defence and midfield. Also we seem to have a hard time building our attacks through the middle simply because our CMs' starting positions are too deep.

My opinion anyway. We do struggle against pace though so its really Pardew's job to find the balance.

i'll say it again, i don't really think we play a high line. there have been times when our defence has been sucked in and caught high but we've also been caught sitting too far back and inviting the oppo onto us in the same games. one of the highest lines we've played this season was man utd at home and it worked a treat.

He went up in my estimation on Sunday. Showed he cared, and showed the willingness to change it and give Ben Arfa his chance. got it right seconf half for me.

As pleased as I was with that second half, it's whether he'll finally learn it for the long term for me tbh.

I don't see too much hope in that regard tbh. It wouldn't surprise me if Pardew is considering starting Shola against  Arsenal at the weekend going off his gushing praise after he scored last weekend. The comparison to his effectiveness against Cisse was just rubbish as it suggested that the latter was being criticised for not giving the sunderland centre halves a harder time. It seems to me the players Pardew enthuses about most are the Ryan Taylors and Ameobis who are more suited to the long ball game.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203/Chriswok/whatifalanpardewwasreallyamemberofKISS.png

i'll say it again, i don't really think we play a high line. there have been times when our defence has been sucked in and caught high but we've also been caught sitting too far back and inviting the oppo onto us in the same games. one of the highest lines we've played this season was man utd at home and it worked a treat.

We certainly played a higher line when Taylor was playing, since Williamson came in we've dropped deeper presumably to compensate for his lack of pace.

I don't see too much hope in that regard tbh. It wouldn't surprise me if Pardew is considering starting Shola against  Arsenal at the weekend going off his gushing praise after he scored last weekend. The comparison to his effectiveness against Cisse was just rubbish as it suggested that the latter was being criticised for not giving the sunderland centre halves a harder time. It seems to me the players Pardew enthuses about most are the Ryan Taylors and Ameobis who are more suited to the long ball game.

I don't think Shola is physically capable of playing more than about 30 minutes any more, I really doubt Pardew would start him unless he had no other options.

I don't think Shola is physically capable of playing more than about 30 minutes any more, I really doubt Pardew would start him unless he had no other options.

Agreed and hope you're right.  Can see Cisse being dropped though and going 4-5-1 though.