Alan Pardew

JH

Should Pardew choose to resign, is there no  remote chance at all that we would actually end up with a better manager? I see JFK thrown around, but the point made by several people here is that we have no clue who they might bring in. In all likelyhood they will bring in someone s***, but mightnt we just as well end up with someone slightly better? Shouldnt be hard, Pardew has got a rather unimpressive record...

You wouldn't get a strong willed manager.  If Pardew left, Ashley would want a manager who would do as he was told.  That right there would eliminate almost any manager worth his salt.  Probably he'd hire a manager who was just happy to have a job.  Oh wait...that was Pardew wasn't it?

Still I think Pardew has done a pretty good job and right now, if he left, I don't think we could get any better...only worse.

while i sympathise with the idea that pardew might walk on principle over transfers everything that needs saying about him leaving has been said, it would be a nightmare for us imo

:kinnear:

or even mark f***ing hughes

You mean Mark "I'm a young ambitious manager so i'm leaving a respectable mid table premier league club to do fook all" Hughes.

Should Pardew choose to resign, is there no  remote chance at all that we would actually end up with a better manager? I see JFK thrown around, but the point made by several people here is that we have no clue who they might bring in. In all likelyhood they will bring in someone s***, but mightnt we just as well end up with someone slightly better? Shouldnt be hard, Pardew has got a rather unimpressive record...

Really, how so?

His career record is bordering on being pretty damn good imho.

Guest TheSummerOf69

Should Pardew choose to resign, is there no  remote chance at all that we would actually end up with a better manager? I see JFK thrown around, but the point made by several people here is that we have no clue who they might bring in. In all likelyhood they will bring in someone s***, but mightnt we just as well end up with someone slightly better? Shouldnt be hard, Pardew has got a rather unimpressive record...

Really, how so?

His career record is bordering on being pretty damn good imho.

Won 1 automatic promotion;

suffered 1 relegation (+2 potential ones until sacked);

Won 1 play-offs;

reached but lost 3;

Won 1 (D1+2) cup final;

reached but lost 1 FA Cup final.

Reading: success

from D2 relegation fighters - to - D2 play-off final defeat - to - D2 automatic promotion - to - D1 play-off losers.

West Ham: middling

Ch play-off final losers - to - Ch play-off winners - to - narrowly losing FA Cup final

- to - sacking en course for PL relegation (eventually saved by Tevez, whom Pardew hadn't been playing).

Charlton: fail

from 19th in PL - to - 11th in Ch - to - sacking en course for Ch relegation.

Southampton: middling

near a D1 play-off place (despite 10 pt penalty) + won the D1+2 cup;

but sacked midway through next season.

Guest VaVaVoom

This talk of him walkin is preposterous.

Aye he is going to be pissed off we didnt get the striker but also you have to think, selling clubs knew our situation and drove prices up. Especially continental teams who need the money more.

I am disappointed that we didnt get the striker we need but im also glad that we didnt panic buy.

Pardew is doing a decent job so far, he is building a team and although the transfer window wasnt ideal i still fancy him to get the best out of our strikers.

He's not going anywhere man. Pointless speculation and more band wagon jumping imo.

Weird he still hasn't said anything yet.

He's never been this quiet for this long.

Hopefully he's just busy/brooding. Last thing we need is another manager walking.

Think its just because of the International break. Pre match presser today I believe.

This talk of him walkin is preposterous.

Aye he is going to be pissed off we didnt get the striker but also you have to think, selling clubs knew our situation and drove prices up. Especially continental teams who need the money more.

I am disappointed that we didnt get the striker we need but im also glad that we didnt panic buy.

Pardew is doing a decent job so far, he is building a team and although the transfer window wasnt ideal i still fancy him to get the best out of our strikers.

He's not going anywhere man. Pointless speculation and more band wagon jumping imo.

Spot on.

Just laughing at his backtracking on what he said during the transfer window.

In what way is the squad any deeper or stronger btw? What positions?

Midfield and striker (we added a striker to the same strike-force that finished last season)

Added a striker, albeit on a free.  Got some genuine wingers in Marveaux and Obertan.  Cabaye already looks the part and of course Gosling and HBA are like new signings  :bluestar:(although HBA isn't available yet) plus the fact Sammy and Vuckic are pushing into the first team.

Quite clearly loads stronger  :whistle:

Midfield and striker (we added a striker to the same strike-force that finished last season)

Okay, I'll give you the striker (pitiful as that argument is considering Ameobi and Lovenkrands are still starting games) but how are we stronger in midfield? Every player that came in replaced another going out. Cabaye replaced Nolan, Marveaux replaced Routledge, Obertan replaced Barton. Going further, Santon replaced Enrique, and even Elliot has replaced Forster. We can argue the toss about who are the better individuals, but how we have a stronger squad is beyond me.

Okay, I'll give you the striker (pitiful as that argument is considering Ameobi and Lovenkrands are still starting games) but how are we stronger in midfield? Every player that came in replaced another going out. Cabaye replaced Nolan, Marveaux replaced Routledge, Obertan replaced Barton. Going further, Santon replaced Enrique, and even Elliot has replaced Forster. We can argue the toss about who are the better individuals, but how we have a stronger squad is beyond me.

Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi have matured enough to make an impact.

Cabaye is a miles better footballer than Nolan could ever dream of being, Obertan is better than Routledge. I'm yet to see enough of Marveaux to determine if he's better or worse than Barton, so it's 2/2 so far.

Or if we go your way, Marveaux is better than Routledge and Barton is better than Obertan. 2/3.

Vuckic and Sammy Ameobi were already here. :lol:

That argument isn't even relevant.

They weren't ready to make an impact last season, they are this season.

They're squad players = the squad has improved.

I know what you're trying to say, but your argument is wrong.

That comment from Pardew is in direct response to a question about the transfer window. He's contradicting his own comment from only weeks earlier where he said without a left back and striker we were weaker. Every signing we made replaced another first teamer being sold.

If two youth team players showing improvement in pre-season constitutes squad strengthening then I just don't know what else to say.