Alan Pardew

JH

What amuses me is most people were dead set against Hughton too.

Yes whats happened is shit but who fuckin knows what the future holds.

I find it equally strange that, for many people, it would apparently have been okay if Jol, Klinsmann or O'Neill were brought in. They're bigger names, but who's to say that they'd be better people for this situation? All sorts of assumptions are being made about Pardew's ability, based on very little knowledge or insight.

The anger about Pardew being sounded out well in advance is also a bit misplaced. Do people seriously think that doesn't normally happen? That an owner who's unhappy about his manager never approaches anyone else before the actual sacking?

This decision is a massive gamble, but one that Ashley felt he needed to take. It's normal to wait until a team is in trouble before making a change, but in this case he's decided to act now. The die is cast, and we just have to hope it works out.

It depends at the end of the day whether you have trust in Ashley or Llambias' judgement on Pardew's ability. I admit I don't know that much about him other than his inability to make use of Mascherano and Tevez and penchant for sleeping with club staff wives. I wouldn't have been in any position to make the call that Pardew is the man to guide our future for the next 5 years. But the club have gone out of their way to make sure he is that man so the onus is on them and Pardew to prove that judgement was sound.

One of my biggest problems is with Ashley and Llambias' judgement is they aren't choosing which manager they think will make our club more successful - they've proven that by appointing Hughton last year who it's been clearly shown they never believed could be a success. It was an accident that he did what he did - and not even a very fortunate one for them.

So, Cronky, while I wouldn't have swapped Hughton for Jol and would have hated a lot of things about what they'd have just done, I'm even more furious that it's not just been a stupid attempt to help the club in the way Shepherd might have done - it's something much worse.

As for sounding out - that's different to drawing up contracts months in advance which is what's happened here. Totally different and obviously so to anyone who hasn't got lying eyes.

Guest Geordiesned

http://www3.pictures.fp.zimbio.com/Cassie+Sumner+Excercising+Park+I7gIhZLyxZNl.jpg

Prince Harry and Michael Essien have diddled that as well.

Quotes from Nolan in the Chronicle praising Hughton and that all the players are disappointed, that he is sure Hughton will go on and be a good manager. That they have to carry on with the spirit they have.

Don't think he says nothing about Pardew.

Looks like Barton is off.

?

His agent has confirmed significant interest from several clubs, but wouldn't name them, one believed to be WHAM.

If we can get £5m for him I wouldn't be too disappointed.

Quotes from Nolan in the Chronicle praising Hughton and that all the players are disappointed, that he is sure Hughton will go on and be a good manager. That they have to carry on with the spirit they have.

Don't think he says nothing about Pardew.

Double negatives! :frantic:

?

His agent has confirmed significant interest from several clubs, but wouldn't name them, one believed to be WHAM.

hm, agreed - if he's replaced

Hayden Mullins on standby.  :weep:

?

hm, agreed - if he's replaced

Hayden Mullins on standby.  :weep:

Aye, Masch is available on loan I hear.  Didn't he also have something to with Sidwell at Reading too :(

Guest Roger Kint

£5m for Barton ;D

Has 18 months left, Ashley would take £2.5m at most in all honesty just to dump the wages(assuming anyone really is after him)

?

WHU are going to bid for him apparently. IMO, I dont think he will be off, just yet anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's reunited with Hughton there by the end of the season.

I'd be surprised to see Hughton go from working under Mike Ashley to working under Gold and O'Sullivan.

Looked like the windows had been smashed in the clubshop this morning when i drove past.Coppers were there.

Was it club shop at SJP? Mate told me this morning and I assumed it was club shop up there but never clarified.

Aye at the ground.

I will say I thought Pardew did quite well at West Ham and Charlton were doomed before he took over. But obviously the point is Hughton was already doing well and Morinho would struggle to do any better under Ashley. Its its just rally sad, this didnt need to happen.

What amuses me is most people were dead set against Hughton too.

Yes whats happened is s*** but who fuckin knows what the future holds.

I find it equally strange that, for many people, it would apparently have been okay if Jol, Klinsmann or O'Neill were brought in. They're bigger names, but who's to say that they'd be better people for this situation?

Just people using comon sense to come to an opinion realy, a bit like saying "I'd rather I found a tenner on the floor than this quid" or, "I wish I got a new tele for Christmas and not this bag of coal".

With managers, it’s about the right person for the right job at the right time. It’s better to employ someone who’s going to see the job as a step up, rather than a step down.

Klinsmann has been very in and out of management – ie just 2 and half years out of the last 6. He took Germany to the semis of the World Cup on home soil – fine, but not a stellar achievement. Then went on to Bayern Munich – again not the most demanding of roles but he was sacked after 8 months. Then, after a long gap, he’s surfaced as a consultant in the MSL. He has little experience of club management and none at all in England. Why should we think that he has the motivation or the background to manage our club at this point?

O’Neill has a good record and has experience, but he’s just walked out of a job. We wouldn’t be a step up for him, and it looks like he’s missed the boat as regards the big jobs that would really have energised him again. He’d have been a great choice three years ago, but not now.

Jol has a good record as well, but got fired at Spurs and Ajax. Something of a nearly man. He’s probably the best bet of the three, but a far from certain one to succeed.

Even Brian Clough – probably the most talented manager the English game has seen – failed when he was put in the wrong job. When looking at potential managers, you have to apply a bit of thought and imagination. Public reputations about who is ‘good’ can come and go very easily.

I think ovesbar is spot on tbh. 

Football fans may be fickle but not all of us believe in sacking a manager after a couple of bad results.

I can promise you that if we play as poor against Liverpool as we did against WBA and Bolton, people on here will go completely insane. Pardew faces an incredible difficult task, as he would not only have to keep us up, but he would have to impress most of us, both in terms of how they play and results. I have never said Pardew was the right man, or the way they did it was anything other than horrendous, but I think many on here would be calling for Hughtons head if we went 10 games without a win, and I think that was a very likely scenario. (Again, just my personal view based on what I have seen of us this season).

Dont know why I even bother..trying to defend some of this decision on this forum is like trying to speak about human rights in North Korea.

You still aren't going anywhere with this argument. Your whole argument is based on a mystic meg type prediction. I can't be bothered to look at the facts right now but I'm pretty sure that under Hughton we have followed up most bad results with a good one.

Well we have gone 5 games without a win. Against teams we need to take points from, and we managed to get a lucky point against Chelsea in their worst form in the last decade. When our team only plays good in against the big teams, or our rivals I think the manager should take his part of the blame. Its not like its a slump in form, we have only managed to beat 1 of the 9 mid to down table teams we have met, and none at home.

Sorry mate you have your facts wrong, very wrong. Who cares if it is home or away? I didn't realise there was a rule in the league that said home wins are better than aways? Look I'm not going to carry on with this discussion because I'm at work and it's just silly.

Please enlighten me. What is so wrong about my facts? Do you categorize Everton, Villa and Arsenal as mid to downtable teams? Ill give you Sunderland, but again, that is a local derby which doesnt take away the point about being motivated.

Just going by the facts ie the league table.

So if Blackpool was in the top 5 when we met them, you would classify them as one of the top teams? Most of us know that its not Everton and Villa we will be fighting against when it comes to relegation. Its Wigan, Blackburn, WBA and so on.

We're 16 games into what's proving to be a bit of a weird season. Blackpool are a bit special, admittedly, but a time comes when you have to give results credit and it's Everton and Aston Villa in 15th and 16th and Bolton Wanderers in 6th. Fact is we're nearly halfway through the season and we've not lost to any of the bottom 7 - P5 W3 D2 L0

Its about the next 5 games for me because that is when I think we would hit the relegation-zone, and something tells me more and more people would start to question Hughtons abilities. No matter how patient you may be, 10 games without a victory would put lots off pressure on both him and the team, and suddenly we could face a managerial change in the worst part of the season, just like in our relegation-season.

If Ashley and his crew lost confidence in Hughton, I think this was the right time to make a change. I am not saying that Pardew is the right man, or that Ashley knows what he is doing, Im just saying that I think it is better to make the change now than to wait until the new guy would have to battle from the relegation-zone rather than against the relegation-zone.

I would be just as happy for 3 points under Pardew, and it is not his fault that they sacked Hughton. Even if he went behind Hughtons back to get the job, it was not his decision to make. If I were jobless and some attractive company offered me a job that was likely to become vacant, I would have taken it.

Still hate Pardew but thats human nature its like someone taking your pet dog and being given a Skunk and saying thanks very much i will give it all my love and attention  :facepalm:

Well yes, but it seems to me most people on here would want to cut of the skunks head and put it on a pole.

I want the head of the guy who took my dog.

With managers, it’s about the right person for the right job at the right time. It’s better to employ someone who’s going to see the job as a step up, rather than a step down.

Even Brian Clough – probably the most talented manager the English game has seen – failed when he was put in the wrong job. When looking at potential managers, you have to apply a bit of thought and imagination. Public reputations about who is ‘good’ can come and go very easily.

Dealing with this point and sort of changing the subject, I actually agree with you to a large extent. I think time and place can be vital in deciding whether something succeeds or fails.

That's part of what's so awful about what's taken place. The stars aligned 15 months ago, and the right blend of characters came together by chance - a manager that was inclined to give players individual responsibility and players who rose to that challenge etc. We had the bedrock of a dynasty in my view - a positive and self-policing dressing room who were instilling their excellent ethos into new signings which meant it would outlive any individual. I'll happily quote some social science crap from cutting edge thinkers to back up my view if it would help convince anyone.

This has now been majorly disrupted, and I expect it will be extinguished completely very soon by the Board and its' chosen servants' actions. Even someone determined to see glints of sunlight emerge from Derek Llambias' arsecheeks should see this whole affair has been a massive failure of thought and imagination.

Dealing with this point and sort of changing the subject, I actually agree with you to a large extent. I think time and place can be vital in deciding whether something succeeds or fails.

That's part of what's so awful about what's taken place. The stars aligned 15 months ago, and the right blend of characters came together by chance - a manager that was inclined to give players individual responsibility and players who rose to that challenge etc. We had the bedrock of a dynasty in my view - a positive and self-policing dressing room who were instilling their excellent ethos into new signings which meant it would outlive any individual. I'll happily quote some social science crap from cutting edge thinkers to back up my view if it would help convince anyone.

This has now been majorly disrupted, and I expect it will be extinguished completely very soon by the Board and its' chosen servants' actions. Even someone determined to see glints of sunlight emerge from Derek Llambias' arsecheeks should see this whole affair has been a massive failure of thought and imagination.

:sadnod:

That is what I thought was happening too. It's deeply disappointing that such a good thing that even came about by chance has been completely ruined and obviously it will never happen again under this board and most probably not for a very long time at all now because it is pretty rare.