Alan Pardew

JH

Chris Hughton: great at raising team morale.

Well Pardew is going to have to become as good if not better than Chris next year at this skill. None of "this group of lads" will be in the first team.

We are shedding the large weekly earners and older players at a fast pace and continue to get more money in than we spend in the transfer market. This is Alan Pardew's team and he will have no excuses at the start of the year.

Like many on here I think team morale and team spirit is a difficult thing to create let alone maintain. I can't see Alan having much success in this with the changes that are coming through. He underestimated what it meant to be our manager (had no idea what the NE Football culture was like especially Newcastle) and I am afraid he will not understand or be able field a team that can play at SJP. Not to mention the fact that everytime Pardew talks about transfer he talks about bring only a couple of players in... that kind of talk really bothers me. Why would he say this? Does he really believe our squad is big enough and good enough to make it through next season? Hopefully he's just being coy, but he is making major changes to the team (whether it is his fault of Ashley/Lambias) he should own up to this that this is a major overhaul. Saying it isn't is disingenuous and annoying.

The team relied heavily upon Shearer for years to provide inspiration and leadership on and off the pitch. By many reports, it took a combination of Nolan, Barton, Smith and Harper to be able to bring that level of leadership back and now they are all most likely gone (probably with Harper benched rather than sold).

I am not hopeful for next season.

I think Pardew himself might be pretty good at creating team spirit, he seems like that kind of manager to me.

Also a bit logically suspect to give the credit to Hughton for creating great morale while also giving it to the Nolan and Barton super group of lads.

I agree we could end up with a squad that's too small, but it hasn't happened yet.

I think Pardew himself might be pretty good at creating team spirit, he seems like that kind of manager to me.

Also a bit logically suspect to give the credit to Hughton for creating great morale while also giving it to the Nolan and Barton super group of lads.

I agree we could end up with a squad that's too small, but it hasn't happened yet.

Until he starts pardewing all the wifes, maybe.

I just can't wait...... til he goes in October....

Who will we get in after he goes though?

Kinnear  :kinnear:

Well Pardew is going to have to become as good if not better than Chris next year at this skill. None of "this group of lads" will be in the first team.

We are shedding the large weekly earners and older players at a fast pace and continue to get more money in than we spend in the transfer market. This is Alan Pardew's team and he will have no excuses at the start of the year.

Like many on here I think team morale and team spirit is a difficult thing to create let alone maintain. I can't see Alan having much success in this with the changes that are coming through. He underestimated what it meant to be our manager (had no idea what the NE Football culture was like especially Newcastle) and I am afraid he will not understand or be able field a team that can play at SJP. Not to mention the fact that everytime Pardew talks about transfer he talks about bring only a couple of players in... that kind of talk really bothers me. Why would he say this? Does he really believe our squad is big enough and good enough to make it through next season? Hopefully he's just being coy, but he is making major changes to the team (whether it is his fault of Ashley/Lambias) he should own up to this that this is a major overhaul. Saying it isn't is disingenuous and annoying.

The team relied heavily upon Shearer for years to provide inspiration and leadership on and off the pitch. By many reports, it took a combination of Nolan, Barton, Smith and Harper to be able to bring that level of leadership back and now they are all most likely gone (probably with Harper benched rather than sold).

Agree with every line. Or rather, I share the same concerns.

And I'm a bit worried whether we have underestimated Barton and Nolan's on-field contribution too. Both bring a lot of determination and general leadership on the pitch and they both had great seasons.. I don't think it's realistic to expect Cabaye and say, Barnetta to be an improvement on that.. even if they hit the ground running. Hope I'm wrong obviously

Have to wonder if Pardew is actually having any say on player departures/incoming etc.

I'm not sure he does have much say.

I'd say he has had the final say in all incoming transfers. If not, who has the final say?

The Carroll and Nolan deals are obviously over his head based on what he has said in the press and the Routledge loan is just baffling.

We may not be the best run club but having a scout buying our players is a bit too far. He'll show Pardew the players he finds and Pardew will pick and choose based on who is deemed obtainable under "the rules" imo.

If I was Pardew I would quite welcome the opportunity to shift out players who thought they knew better, especially those angling for contracts to set them up for a few cushy years. I don't think he's as much of a pawn as many here would like to think.

We may not be the best run club but having a scout buying our players is a bit too far. He'll show Pardew the players he finds and Pardew will pick and choose based on who is deemed obtainable under "the rules" imo.

I hope you're right.

I was listening to The Legends before for the first time in about 2 years before - although I only lasted about 10 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Anyway, Macdonald was saying that if he was Pardew, he would get rid of all the senior players especially after the way they treated Ferguson.  He said that Enrique and Jonas had completely snubbed him on the pitch and would not make themselves available to help him out.  Anyone else noticed this at the time (not sure what match he was referring to)? However, I seem to recall Fergie saying in an interview that Jose had been a huge help to him and was always offering him encouragement.

I was listening to The Legends before for the first time in about 2 years before - although I only lasted about 10 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Anyway, Macdonald was saying that if he was Pardew, he would get rid of all the senior players especially after the way they treated Ferguson.  He said that Enrique and Jonas had completely snubbed him on the pitch and would not make themselves available to help him out.  Anyone else noticed this at the time (not sure what match he was referring to)? However, I seem to recall Fergie saying in an interview that Jose had been a huge help to him and was always offering him encouragement.

First time I've heard this. MacDonald does talk sh*** most of the time, so I pretty much ignore anything he says these days.

My dad had that lot on the radio on the way to the WBA game. I heard Macdrunkard have a right go at Sammy Ameobi for 'smiling like a cheshire cat despite not being picked for the squad.'

'That's what's wrong with the modern game' - apparently. :lol:

Guest TheSummerOf69

We had an awful lot of untested kids in at the end of last season. It's a good job it wasn't a relegation battle, but you have to cover for these possible eventualities. From a squad that needed adding to we got rid of a winger and put a large Andy Carroll sized gap in our "strike force".

And that was before we sold our top scorer, with possibly our player of the season looking like he'll be sold, plus one of the classiest full backs we've ever had still likely to still go.

On top of the "thin squad" situation, it means we've ripped the guts out of the team and it's very hard to build teams from scratch (even if the players are up to standard from the off - unlike Colo, Barton, Enrique etc who all took time to show their worth) as it takes time for any group of players to gel and synch as a team.

If we really had a sensible plan we would build on what we've got and then offload unneccessary players. When we're successful it tends to be quite easy to offload bit players, especially of the calibre of those we're currently shedding, whereas if we bring a load in who struggle then we'll be stuck with just them and the kids all the way down.

Anyone remember the relegation of '89 after bringing 4 players in with the Gazza money, or the near-relegation to the 3rd division with a load of promising youngsters that were just too inexperienced to put in en masse?

Guest Mantis

We had an awful lot of untested kids in at the end of last season. It's a good job it wasn't a relegation battle, but you have to cover for these possible eventualities. From a squad that needed adding to we got rid of a winger and put a large Andy Carroll sized gap in our "strike force".

And that was before we sold our top scorer, with possibly our player of the season looking like he'll be sold, plus one of the classiest full backs we've ever had still likely to still go.

On top of the "thin squad" situation, it means we've ripped the guts out of the team and it's very hard to build teams from scratch (even if the players are up to standard from the off - unlike Colo, Barton, Enrique etc who all took time to show their worth) as it takes time for any group of players to gel and synch as a team.

If we really had a sensible plan we would build on what we've got and then offload unneccessary players. When we're successful it tends to be quite easy to offload bit players, especially of the calibre of those we're currently shedding, whereas if we bring a load in who struggle then we'll be stuck with just them and the kids all the way down.

Anyone remember the relegation of '89 after bringing 4 players in with the Gazza money, or the near-relegation to the 3rd division with a load of promising youngsters that were just too inexperienced to put in en masse?

Stop talking sense, NUFC only do fiction.

To be fair on the Nolan front, he and the club did try to keep Nolan. From the sounds of things he was offered a reasonable deal but chose to turn it down. What else can the club do? Offer him a whacking £55k 5 year deal? It wouldn't be sensible.

As far as the Carroll saga goes, too much has been said already, but £35mil was a great price.

Anyway, we're in a rebuilding phase at the mo. So far I'm pleased with the acquisitions of Cabeye and Ba and by the sounds of things there's more to come. I for one am optimistic for the future.

To be fair on the Nolan front, he and the club did try to keep Nolan. From the sounds of things he was offered a reasonable deal but chose to turn it down. What else can the club do? Offer him a whacking £55k 5 year deal? It wouldn't be sensible.

As far as the Carroll saga goes, too much has been said already, but £35mil was a great price.

Anyway, we're in a rebuilding phase at the mo. So far I'm pleased with the acquisitions of Cabeye and Ba and by the sounds of things there's more to come. I for one am optimistic for the future.

Same, sometimes circumstances mean a player will leave. We had a player looking for a last big contract, and we were right not to be the one to offer him.

What he says about keeping Carroll and Nolan is embarrassing, but I don't think it's true. We can absolutely progress without them.