Alan Pardew

JH

The club has to draw up a business plan and make income assumptions. I think they are saying that finishing below 10th will impact these plans - anything higher is a bonus on the pitch and in the accounts.

I see a top 8 place achievable if we get a quality forward in ,the club say top ten so to lower expectations .The premiership was shit last season in my eyes with a few teams having awful runs and still finishing above us i.e Liverpool ,Sunderland,Everton ,Villa and these are the teams we need to push for progress to be made.

fair point this, i wonder if the fuckwit twins think the league is always gonna be this bad?  hopefully not with ashley's gambling streak... :(

The club has to draw up a business plan and make income assumptions. I think they are saying that finishing below 10th will impact these plans - anything higher is a bonus on the pitch and in the accounts.

I see a top 8 place achievable if we get a quality forward in ,the club say top ten so to lower expectations .The premiership was shit last season in my eyes with a few teams having awful runs and still finishing above us i.e Liverpool ,Sunderland,Everton ,Villa and these are the teams we need to push for progress to be made.

fair point this, i wonder if the fuckwit twins think the league is always gonna be this bad?  hopefully not with ashley's gambling streak... :(

I don't think it's that fair a point as mid table teams have up and down seasons, whether it's good and bad runs of form over long periods or up and down form like ours over short periods, that's why they're mid table.

If you look back through the history of the Premier league over the past 10 years clubs that finish 10th have a points range from 46pts to 52pts, with the higher end usually being balanced by an awful team that picks up very little which we didn't have this year.

I see a top 8 place achievable if we get a quality forward in ,the club say top ten so to lower expectations .The premiership was s*** last season in my eyes with a few teams having awful runs and still finishing above us i.e Liverpool ,Sunderland,Everton ,Villa and these are the teams we need to push for progress to be made.

I don't think it's that fair a point as mid table teams have up and down seasons, whether it's good and bad runs of form over long periods or up and down form like ours over short periods, that's why they're mid table.

If you look back through the history of the Premier league over the past 10 years clubs that finish 10th have a points range from 46pts to 52pts, with the higher end usually being balanced by an awful team that picks up very little which we didn't have this year.

We were laughing at the teams ive mentioned and they all finished above us ,yes it was our first season back and we try to establish now ,but can you honestly say Manure ,Chelski ,Arsenal had good seasons football wise with quality etc.

Guest neesy111

All I hear on here is what a mess Liverpool are making of their transfer dealings so I'm a little unsure as to why we can't have a go at them. Last December, we were level pegging.

My view is that we shouldn't be "aiming" to do anything other than win every game we play. The amount of beatable teams in the league means that I think the "can't compete with x, y and z" card is overplayed. They're not necessarily the teams you have to beat to finish high in the table.

Yeah like the fact we had the same quality in our squad as Liverpool last season.  Utter bollocks again Wullie.

the point is fair because alls you need is us to have a poor year due to MA thinking it's a piece of piss, and teams like villa, sunderland, whoever else all having strong seasons and beating the shite at the bottom and we'd be adrift...

any permutation is possible of course, just saying one of the scenarios might be the type to make MA have a(nother) poor attempt at gambling on the squad

I see a top 8 place achievable if we get a quality forward in ,the club say top ten so to lower expectations .The premiership was s*** last season in my eyes with a few teams having awful runs and still finishing above us i.e Liverpool ,Sunderland,Everton ,Villa and these are the teams we need to push for progress to be made.

We were laughing at the teams ive mentioned and they all finished above us ,yes it was our first season back and we try to establish now ,but can you honestly say Manure ,Chelski ,Arsenal had good seasons football wise with quality etc.

We were laughing at them because as you said they went on bad runs, yet they also went on good runs too which is why they finished above us.

While these clubs may not have poor runs like they did last season it will balance itself out with other clubs not picking up as many points, the same way that if our home form improves next season then other clubs will feel the knock on effect points wise.

I think there's a group of clubs between 8th and 14th that are all on par with each other and it's down to us to move on from that, losing Nolan and gaining Ba, Cabaye and Marveaux represents a big improvement for us in my opinion as well as more to come by the looks of it.

How many of those clubs around us have improved drastically? Not many if any I don't think.

I do find it contradicting that you think the league will be harder yet expect us to make the top 10 and anything else will be a failure.

Guest sicko2ndbest

The way I see it is we are battling

Stoke

Everton

Sunderland

Villa

For a top 10 position

i think we will be battling stoke, everton, sunderland and west brom. I think Villa look far too weak, with a poor manager.

How they replace Friedel, Downing & Young will be massive...fairly ironic that two of those could be Given & N'Zogbia mind.

i think we will be battling stoke, everton, sunderland and west brom. I think Villa look far too weak, with a poor manager.

How they replace Friedel, Downing & Young will be massive...fairly ironic that two of those could be Given & N'Zogbia mind.

Yep, I thought Villa would be as good as dead ducks next season the way things were panning out, but Zog and a couple of others could save them yet.

Mind you, if Downing does not got to 'Pool and bearing in mind they missed Marveaux too might end up steaming in for N'Zogbia

We were laughing at them because as you said they went on bad runs, yet they also went on good runs too which is why they finished above us.

While these clubs may not have poor runs like they did last season it will balance itself out with other clubs not picking up as many points, the same way that if our home form improves next season then other clubs will feel the knock on effect points wise.

I think there's a group of clubs between 8th and 14th that are all on par with each other and it's down to us to move on from that, losing Nolan and gaining Ba, Cabaye and Marveaux represents a big improvement for us in my opinion as well as more to come by the looks of it.

How many of those clubs around us have improved drastically? Not many if any I don't think.

I do find it contradicting that you think the league will be harder yet expect us to make the top 10 and anything else will be a failure.

When did i say it was going to be harder next season ? and where did i contradict myself ? Failure will be us not moving up the table from last season as its called progress and not going backwards ,we have bought players to improve us in theory and see us pushing on ,imho we will not move on as we stand unless we get a quality forward but Ashley and Co expect a top ten finish and that is what we are aiming for .

Anything less than a top-half finish would be an utter disgrace, given the squad we already had, the money we have, and the time we've had to plan spending it. We were seconds away from finishing 9th last year, and at one point, a challenge for the European spots was very realistic. The draw at home to Bolton where Raylor got sent off, it was around that sorta time when Europe faded away. We were only a striker away from beating Sunderland away and Spurs at home, too.

We've got a good team. Providing no one else goes (or Enrique is sufficiently replaced), and we actually spend money, there's absolutely no reason why we can't be in the mix with the likes of Fulham, Everton and Liverpool. Tenth is rightfully the absolute bare minimum.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Ive just watched the interview with him on World

Key points

- He seemed very pleased with the quality on the training ground 'training has been stepped up a notch from last year'

- He was pressed a lot about the Carroll money to the point where he was getting annoyed at hypotheticals

- He said he might go and ask MA for some more dosh now the business is doing well, but they are 2 seperate busineses

- New players integrated well

- Loves Barton. This season will determine his future at NUFC

- NZOG to Villa and Tiote to Chelsea were both batted back as being hypotheitical situations

- Looking forward to States trip to try out new formations

- Tightened discipline up

- Cant compete with big clubs and he includes Liverpool in that (made me laugh)

- Still bidding for a striker but hardest deal to do.

- Wage bill gone up as 3 players brought in are all 1st team players

- Will probably play 2 sides on Friday changing at half time or just after

He looked generally upbeat and looking forward to the season

Ive just watched the interview with him on World

Key points

- He seemed very pleased with the quality on the training ground 'training has been stepped up a notch from last year'

- He was pressed a lot about the Carroll money to the point where he was getting annoyed at hypotheticals

- He said he might go and ask MA for some more dosh now the business is doing well, but they are 2 seperate busineses

- New players integrated well

- Loves Barton. This season will determine his future at NUFC

- NZOG to Villa and Tiote to Chelsea were both batted back as being hypotheitical situations

- Looking forward to States trip to try out new formations

- Tightened discipline up

- Cant compete with big clubs and he includes Liverpool in that (made me laugh)

- Still bidding for a striker but hardest deal to do.

- Wage bill gone up as 3 players brought in are all 1st team players

- Will probably play 2 sides on Friday changing at half time or just after

He looked generally upbeat and looking forward to the season

Guessing thats the press conference?