Alan Pardew

JH

Don't see the difference between saying top ten finish and challenging for Europa League because it's pretty much the same thing?

Should we try to get away with spending nothing this summer then, considering we really should have finished 9th this season just gone? It's about pushing on and going for the next level.

We finished where we did and have since added a striker and winger with at least one more striker to come. I haven't seen our rivals such as Fulham, Everton and Villa strengthen have you?

Why are they the benchmark?

Because they're the teams we'll be competing with for 7th/top ten. Hardly rocket science.

What I meant was, why limit our progress based on their action/inaction - why not just fulfil as much of our potential as we can? Even if that means activity more aligned with those teams in 6th and above?

So long as we're not spending more than we have, having ambition greater than Fulham and Villa is a definite positive. There's no reason to stop at "well we've added to our squad more than Fulham" if there's capacity to challenge Liverpool etc on an ambition level at least (if not in reality :lol:).

All I hear on here is what a mess Liverpool are making of their transfer dealings so I'm a little unsure as to why we can't have a go at them. Last December, we were level pegging.

My view is that we shouldn't be "aiming" to do anything other than win every game we play. The amount of beatable teams in the league means that I think the "can't compete with x, y and z" card is overplayed. They're not necessarily the teams you have to beat to finish high in the table.

On the other hand, if we can get to 7th-8th this season on a budget, it leaves more for further down the line to spend to challenge even higher when we're in a position to sign even better quality players, whether it's because there's more cash in the club, or whether we look a better prospect for new owners to buy.

On the other hand, if we can get to 7th-8th this season on a budget, it leaves more for further down the line to spend to challenge even higher when we're in a position to sign even better quality players, whether it's because there's more cash in the club, or whether we look a better prospect for new owners to buy.

Fair enough - but, my two cents on that: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,72878.msg3063292.html#msg3063292

;)

All I hear on here is what a mess Liverpool are making of their transfer dealings so I'm a little unsure as to why we can't have a go at them. Last December, we were level pegging.

My view is that we shouldn't be "aiming" to do anything other than win every game we play. The amount of beatable teams in the league means that I think the "can't compete with x, y and z" card is overplayed. They're not necessarily the teams you have to beat to finish high in the table.

£60m+ on Carroll, Henderson & Adam, or £5m on Ba, Cabaye & Marveaux?

There's not a cat in hell's chance the first three are £55m better than the latter, I think we can push them close as it stands tbh. Even more so with one or two more in.

Guest guinness_fiend

As much as I would like to see us fly up the league this season, provided that the players we have bought to date do a job and come good, I would be happy with another solid finish, with a view to further developing the squad at the end of the season.

There's not a cat in hell's chance the first three are £55m better than the latter, I think we can push them close as it stands tbh. Even more so with one or two more in.

It's the one or two more that will make the difference IMO. I am awaiting with interest to see the calibre of striker we bring in and whether the other player is going to be a significant signing or Neil Taylor.

Wouldn't know tbh, I've only seen one of our lads play, and that fleetingly.

As it stands, I think pushing them close is the stuff of fantasy, Carroll and Suarez will be dynamite and we simply don't have enough goals in the squad having lost our two top scorers.

Guest guinness_fiend

Wouldn't know tbh, I've only seen one of our lads play, and that fleetingly.

As it stands, I think pushing them close is the stuff of fantasy, Carroll and Suarez will be dynamite and we simply don't have enough goals in the squad having lost our two top scorers.

This.

I don't think Liverpool are all that tbh. Had a run similar to Roeder did here, not sure Dalglish is what they need. Can see them finishing 6th at the very best (depending on what Spurs do this summer).

I would be furious if we had wasted £60m on the players Liverpool have so on that I'm, agreed with you. However I'm more concerned with what we do and while we've had a good start to the transfer window, I'm none too convinced we are going to follow through with those couple of key signings that could make the difference between us having a serious go at the top 7 or just settle for cheap n' cheerful.

This is exactly right which is why I think the talk of a top 10 finish is the bare minimum rather than some sort of aim, the club will want to finish as high as possible and that will surely be pushing Everton for 7th which I think is a possibility if we don't have long term injuries to our better players again.

Liverpool are far better than us and we were level in December because they were underachieving with the players they've got, talk of their transfer dealings being a mess are more to do with the fee's they've paid and their ability to close in on the top 4 with those players rather than competing with us.

Top ten?

I think we'll do well to match last season's finish tbh.

Would be a terrible season if the likes of QPR, Swansea, Norwich, Wolves, Blackburn, Wigan & WBA finished above us so there's 7 clubs meaning 13th at least, then you have the likes of Stoke, Sunderland & Bolton who we should be looking to finish ahead of too, that's before we get to Fulham, Villa & Everton who I think we should be mixing it with next season.

As much as I would like to see us fly up the league this season, provided that the players we have bought to date do a job and come good, I would be happy with another solid finish, with a view to further developing the squad at the end of the season.

Anything less than 10th is a huge failure imho and at this moment in time we will do well to match where we finished last season unless we get a top draw forward .

The club has to draw up a business plan and make income assumptions. I think they are saying that finishing below 10th will impact these plans - anything higher is a bonus on the pitch and in the accounts.

I see a top 8 place achievable if we get a quality forward in ,the club say top ten so to lower expectations .The premiership was shit last season in my eyes with a few teams having awful runs and still finishing above us i.e Liverpool ,Sunderland,Everton ,Villa and these are the teams we need to push for progress to be made.