Alan Pardew

JH

Guest Chubby Jason

Career records; they don't even compare to be honest.

if your using Scotland it doesn't count

Fine. Use everywhere else then. Pardew is a 3rd tier manager masquerading as a Premiership boss when his only real skills are networking and arse licking.

I'd like to be added to the list of smug know-it-alls, please. Same goes for Allardyce.

Unfortunately I can't count myself a smug know-it-all about Allardyce, was happy with his appointment, didn't take long for the good will to evaporate though.

I'd like to be added to the list of smug know-it-alls, please. Same goes for Allardyce.

Unfortunately I can't count myself a smug know-it-all about Allardyce, was happy with his appointment, didn't take long for the good will to evaporate though.

Was about a game iirc :laugh: The opening day was good though!

Souness was a proper wtf, but likewise I was delighted when we appointed Fat Sam thought he would do well for us  :memelol:

Souness was a proper wtf, but likewise I was delighted when we appointed Fat Sam thought he would do well for us  :memelol:

I was the opposite. Nobody wins :undecided:

You guys are hilariously miserable  :lol:

Am I literally the only person who doesn't see what's wrong with what he's said there?

(I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but seriously, what is actually wrong with what he said?)

No, again nowt wrong with what he's said, and they are pretty interesting quotes to boot. I like the guy as a manager though which makes a difference.

/For the record as it seems to have some bearing on the debate, I couldn't believe it when we brought in Souness, vehemently argued against the many on here that backed Souness over the 'cancerous' players, railed against the appointments of Allardyce and Roeder as a continuation of the knee jerk appointments, resigned to disaster over Kinnear etc. Yet on the other hand backed  and defended the appointment of Hughton for very much the same reasons I back Pardew tbh. Hope Pardew is afforded the time Hughton wasn't.

I hated both appointments. I am win.

Well, Ashley has as much right to argue to Pardew about the team as us fans do, and I'm pretty sure most of us think that Pardew's made mistakes with team selection and tactics in the past. That's not to say we're smarter and thus would be a better manager than he is, but I think it does say that football's not some esoteric thing where only a few are privy to the keys to a successful team. For what it's worth, I think the direction of the team i.e. our style of play and the type of players that we are signing, are being imposed on Pardew. Pardew has never spoken about fast, quick players playing good football and he's never been able to get his teams to play that kind of football. His WH team was good for a while, but they weren't a particularly good team to watch. And obviously he failed at Charlton.

I also think that if some of these signings weren't imposed on Pardew then he'd be after top-four rejects. His transfer record is pretty much like the average British manager, where his focus and knowledge of players is quite limited to the UK.

I'll also say that he's operating under a more continental style of management, where he selects the team but the incomings and outgoings are handled by a different group of people. And because of his record and the way he generally talked in the past, I think it's to our benefit that his management is limited to team selection. He's not an Alex Ferguson-type who has contacts and scouts throughout Europe and South America, and is willing to sign players from abroad to complement his team. Pardew strikes me as the type that wouldn't have heard of someone like Ronaldo before Man Utd spent 12m on him, and that's quite damning for someone who is in the footballing world. It's as damning as Shearer not knowing who Ben Arfa was before he signed for us.

Well, Ashley has as much right to argue to Pardew about the team as us fans do, and I'm pretty sure most of us think that Pardew's made mistakes with team selection and tactics in the past. That's not to say we're smarter and thus would be a better manager than he is, but I think it does say that football's not some esoteric thing where only a few are privy to the keys to a successful team. For what it's worth, I think the direction of the team i.e. our style of play and the type of players that we are signing, are being imposed on Pardew. Pardew has never spoken about fast, quick players playing good football and he's never been able to get his teams to play that kind of football. His WH team was good for a while, but they weren't a particularly good team to watch. And obviously he failed at Charlton.

I also think that if some of these signings weren't imposed on Pardew then he'd be after top-four rejects. His transfer record is pretty much like the average British manager, where his focus and knowledge of players is quite limited to the UK.

Good post. I've said previously in this thread that it will be interesting to see how he sets out the team with so many continental players in the side who will be used to a totally different style that we play over here. It's a real test of his managerial ability and if he's not up to it I expect a foreign manager will be brought in next.

I'll also say that he's operating under a more continental style of management, where he selects the team but the incomings and outgoings are handled by a different group of people. And because of his record and the way he generally talked in the past, I think it's to our benefit that his management is limited to team selection. He's not an Alex Ferguson-type who has contacts and scouts throughout Europe and South America, and is willing to sign players from abroad to complement his team. Pardew strikes me as the type that wouldn't have heard of someone like Ronaldo before Man Utd spent 12m on him, and that's quite damning for someone who is in the footballing world. It's as damning as Shearer not knowing who Ben Arfa was before he signed for us.

Alex Ferguson prefers an English core to his team and squad, something we seem to be trying to get rid of which I don't agree with.

Alex Ferguson prefers an English core to his team and squad, something we seem to be trying to get rid of which I don't agree with.

I'll bite.

Because we didn't offer Nolan the stupid contract he wanted, or because we accepted the massively inflated fee for Carroll?

Alex Ferguson can afford to pay the price of top English players so that helps. I sort of agree it's a big risk to pack the side with European footballers but a decent coach could really make it work.

Remember when we used to have players come to the club because of the managers we had no in spite of :(

Pretty sure Cabaye, Marveaux, Ba, and even Ben Arfa have all stated that the managers vision for them was a large factor in them signing FFS.

Stop being so bloody miserable. :lol:

Alex Ferguson prefers an English core to his team and squad, something we seem to be trying to get rid of which I don't agree with

Why? Isn't quality all that matters?