Alan Pardew

JH

A very eventful match, lots of talking points, but one thing I'm desperate not to get swept under the carpet or lost in the ether is was his substitutes and bench selection.

HOW THE FUCK IS LOVENKRANDS ON THE BENCH AHEAD OF VUCKIC.

New style of play: pick two big men up front and whack it long to them for the first 45mins. Mint. :lol:

we looked both clueless and toothless in terms of going forward. you think we'd have been working on new systems of attack based on Pardew's soundbytes about a new style of playing etc. instead it was mindless punts and players looking like strangers who have just met.

CaulkinTheTimes George Caulkin

Pardew: "Gervinho dived - that gets the blood boiling, whether it's Joey Barton or any other footballer ... he's been stamped on & slapped."

Hear hear.

I'm far from his biggest critic but thought his substitution late on was a poor decision today, not for the first time.

(Sunderland away, Spurs at home, West Brom on the last day)

Saw no need to change it today, particularly since we had already made two subs.

Couldnt help noticing this match report on bbc either:

Birmingham  1 - 0  CoventryBirmingham edged a keenly-contested Midlands derby to give Chris Hughton his first points as Blues manager.

Hughton was instrumental in the outcome of the match as the introduction of sub Adam Rooney proved a turning point

Those little decisions towards the end of a game can make a big difference

I'm far from his biggest critic but thought his substitution late on was a poor decision today, not for the first time.

Saw no need to change it today, particularly since we had already made two subs.

Birmingham  1 - 0  CoventryBirmingham edged a keenly-contested Midlands derby to give Chris Hughton his first points as Blues manager.

Hughton was instrumental in the outcome of the match as the introduction of sub Adam Rooney proved a turning point

Funnily enough I was chatting to wor kid today about Hughton and we remarked upon how he was quite good at making substitutions. Even Robson was fucking awful at changing it up (unless he was making a triple change).

New style of play: pick two big men up front and whack it long to them for the first 45mins. Mint. :lol:

Yeah it was pretty depressing. Being generous I'll say it might be down to lack of preparation for one reason or another, and it was still a decent point. It's one thing buying technical ability players though, and another being able to utilise them properly.

Funnily enough I was chatting to wor kid today about Hughton and we remarked upon how he was quite good at making substitutions. Even Robson was f***ing awful at changing it up (unless he was making a triple change).

you were not alone mate

Yeah it was pretty depressing. Being generous I'll say it might be down to lack of preparation for one reason or another, and it was still a decent point. It's one thing buying technical ability players though, and another being able to utilise them properly.

Agree with all of that.

To be fair to Pardew, as I said in the other thread, Arsenal aren't the best team to implement a new passing football style, the result was the important thing today.

To be fair to Pardew, as I said in the other thread, Arsenal aren't the best team to implement a new passing football style, the result was the important thing today.

Glad you said it. People were apparently expecting the team to match Arsenal's style of play in the first game of the season, against the masters themselves.

Credit to Pardew, he saw Shola & Ba up front wasn't working in the first half and earlier than you might have expected he took the least effective of them off which was one of "his" new signings and replaced him with a player who improved us as a team.

That was a good move and took some bottle I didn't expect.  :thup:

Birmingham   1 - 0   CoventryBirmingham edged a keenly-contested Midlands derby to give Chris Hughton his first points as Blues manager.

Funnily enough I was chatting to wor kid today about Hughton and we remarked upon how he was quite good at making substitutions. Even Robson was fucking awful at changing it up (unless he was making a triple change).

Lua Lua, Cordone and Glass. :smitten:

Lua Lua, Cordone and Glass. :smitten:

:thup: turned the game upside down, good finish by Glass IIRC too.

I bet we kinda would look like Arsenal did against Barcelona if we'd try to implement a possesion based strategy against them today. What pardew chose to do was strap it up and see where it took him.

At the end of the game they could chase it, and they tried by spunking in what pace he had to try to stir things up abit. Many of the new players wasn't there tonight so the technical ability was pretty meh tbf.

I think he did what he could. Allthough he could've chosen other players to sit on the bench.

observations:

1. his tactics were shite yesterday, played it safe and it's lucky for us arsenal weren't on their game

2. if the grand plan is sholagoals playing 90 minutes we're in deep, deep trouble

3. can someone email him or something and let him know we sold carroll in january so they're gonna have to kick it as far as liverpool to land it on his napper

must do better, fast (derby i mean), that game was crying out for us to put balls on teh ground into the channels and use wingers to get in behind them...cabaye seems to have a lovely eye for an angled and weighted pass but jonas' game is not to play in behind and barton is not a winger and playing in front of his marker

need marveuax and obertan playing high and wide imo off ba with shola nowhere near the fucking pitch, work the angles and get people in behind the opposition defence so cabaye/barton can catch up with play

or, you know, play shola and fucking lamp it up to him for 90 minutes, whatever works