Alan Pardew

JH

I dunno like, Alan Scott Pardew may not have changed the style as much as he likes to think but there's no denying results have been much better than they were under Christopher William Gerard Hughton and he's certainly an improvement on previous managers such as Joseph Patrick Kinnear and Glenn Victor Roeder.

:lol: excellent  O0

I dunno like, Alan Scott Pardew may not have changed the style as much as he likes to think but there's no denying results have been much better than they were under Christopher William Gerard Hughton and he's certainly an improvement on previous managers such as Joseph Patrick Kinnear and Glenn Victor Roeder.

:lol:

We should be looking to dominate games more imo. Our points tally is fantastic and nobody can argue with it, but I think if you look at it objectively and try and think of the number of games in which we've dominated, created plenty of chances, given them nothing and won with something to spare, you could probably count them on one hand.

Certainly as we go into the late stages of the season with as close to a full strength squad as we're likely to see this season with only Taylor and the lesser spotted Marveaux as long-term absentees, I'd like to see some more comfortable wins coming our way, starting with Wolves who we should be looking to fly at from the kick off. We need to create a lot more chances than we do imo - our success has been by generally staying solid and having the most clinical striker in the division on the end of a paucity of chances but if we created as many chances as some of the teams around us with Ba and Cisse on the end of them, we could be putting teams to the sword in the first half as Spurs did to us last week.

With our available current front six, we shouldn't be lining up to fear anybody.

Agreed. It would be nice to actually enjoy the last ten minutes of a match rather than furiously checking the watch every ten seconds.

We really should be looking to run in a few past Wolves who have looked woeful on the occasions I've seen them this season.

We should be looking to dominate games more imo. Our points tally is fantastic and nobody can argue with it, but I think if you look at it objectively and try and think of the number of games in which we've dominated, created plenty of chances, given them nothing and won with something to spare, you could probably count them on one hand.

Certainly as we go into the late stages of the season with as close to a full strength squad as we're likely to see this season with only Taylor and the lesser spotted Marveaux as long-term absentees, I'd like to see some more comfortable wins coming our way, starting with Wolves who we should be looking to fly at from the kick off. We need to create a lot more chances than we do imo - our success has been by generally staying solid and having the most clinical striker in the division on the end of a paucity of chances but if we created as many chances as some of the teams around us with Ba and Cisse on the end of them, we could be putting teams to the sword in the first half as Spurs did to us last week.

With our available current front six, we shouldn't be lining up to fear anybody.

:thup:

Summed up perfectly.

Very few teams actually "dominate" the majority of their games. It's a pretty competitive league.

I mean, I know everyone says that Wolves or Blackburn or QPR or basically everyone in the bottom half is utter shit and everything, but they're still not bad enough that you should have the expectation that we "dominate." This isn't like the SPL where Celtic can just show up and beat everyone 5-0 every week.

Obviously I'd like to see some more 6-0s or 5-1s, but in this league those matches are always going to be exceptions rather than the norm.

Very few teams actually "dominate" the majority of their games. It's a pretty competitive league.

I mean, I know everyone says that Wolves or Blackburn or QPR or basically everyone in the bottom half is utter s*** and everything, but they're still not bad enough that you should have the expectation that we "dominate." This isn't like the SPL where Celtic can just show up and beat everyone 5-0 every week.

Obviously I'd like to see some more 6-0s or 5-1s, but in this league those matches are always going to be exceptions rather than the norm.

You completely misunderstood Wullie's point. Nobody is saying that we should be thrashing teams 5-0 week in week out. Even a 1-0 win can be "dominating" if we keep good possession and create loads of chances (only to miss). As it is, our wins is mostly down to having one of the most efficient (if not the most efficient striker) in the league who is putting away whatever little chances coming his way. That is actually good except that if he is injured or sold in the summer, then unless we change the way we play to create more chances, we're basically f***ed.

I mean, I know everyone says that Wolves or Blackburn or QPR or basically everyone in the bottom half is utter s*** and everything, but they're still not bad enough that you should have the expectation that we "dominate." This isn't like the SPL where Celtic can just show up and beat everyone 5-0 every week.

You completely misunderstood Wullie's point. Nobody is saying that we should be thrashing teams 5-0 week in week out. Even a 1-0 win can be "dominating" if we keep good possession and create loads of chances (only to miss). As it is our wins is mostly down to having one of the efficient (if not the most efficient striker) in the league who putting away whatever little chance coming his way. That is actually good except that he is injured or sold in the summer, then unless we change the way we play to create more chances, then we're basically fucked.

nailed, it's why a few of us are unsure of pards...we have the players but we're not playing the game - last game i remember anyone saying we played well was manyoo @ home, prior to that i honestly can't remember

the margins of the results should be a worry to people really, i'd be interested to see the scorelines in pardew's first season up with west ham - i'd guess there were a lot of tight wins...you can't continue to compete on margins if you want to get better

I don't think anyone is crowning him to be fair. There's still work to do and plenty for him to prove, I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.

never about that on this board, unless you embrace everything with blind positivity then you're anti-pardew/NUFC/little baby jesus (delete as appropriate)

fact is all anyone has done on this board all season with a few exceptions is say how badly we've played...that WILL catch up with us eventually, no matter how many good players we sign

Teams like Man U and City win plenty of games 1-0, but still dominate.

Got your money's worth will goals last season, certainly getting a lot of tension for your money this season.  Seems like every game the last 10 minutes takes an eternity!

For what it's worth:

You're having a smashing season and fingers crossed you can maintain your position. Whatever Pardew is doing, it's working so far - supported by what looks to be an excellent scouting network. It could be said you've been edging a few games by the odd goal/not necessarily deserving to win but winning, yes, but it's now 25 games. This isn't 6 or 7 games at the start of the season.

The issue is surely one of continuity here. Why throw away the steady, positive progress you're making so hastily? If the issue is one of the quality of football, then surely give the bloke some more time - he's been with you for only, what, 14 months? You're 6th!

I for one am pleased we stuck with Moyes (despite the fact I have much heightened doubts about him now). Providing you don't completely collapse and lose the majority of your last 13 games, you surely have to be behind what Pardew is doing?

good post from Neil, only thing i'd say is that pards only comparable history as a manager was west ham....2 good seasons and the wheels came off basically, he had no answer, there are a number of parallels between the two situations imo as well, starting with his handling of HBA vs. tevez/masch

BUT, BUT, i'm not trying to detract from what has been wonderful season so far, so we're clear

For what it's worth:

You're having a smashing season and fingers crossed you can maintain your position. Whatever Pardew is doing, it's working so far - supported by what looks to be an excellent scouting network. It could be said you've been edging a few games by the odd goal/not necessarily deserving to win but winning, yes, but it's now 25 games. This isn't 6 or 7 games at the start of the season.

The issue is surely one of continuity here. Why throw away the steady, positive progress you're making so hastily? If the issue is one of the quality of football, then surely give the bloke some more time - he's been with you for only, what, 14 months? You're 6th!

I for one am pleased we stuck with Moyes (despite the fact I have much heightened doubts about him now). Providing you don't completely collapse and lose the majority of your last 13 games, you surely have to be behind what Pardew is doing?

:thup:

Most people are perfectly capable of having a reasonable debate about it as far as I've seen like, no reason to put silly little disclaimers at the end of your posts.

The Wolves game will be definitive for Ben Arfa's future, I think. If he doesn't start I reckon he's gone in the summer. I honestly don't have a clue how Pardew feels about him. On the surface his treatment of HBA has been pretty shabby, to say the least. However he did change the formation of the team to 4-5-1 to fit him in, and I do think Ben Arfa has worked harder and harder defensively with each passing game so if it's a motivational thing it may be working. Ben Arfa has also been very quiet in the press, which at least isn't bad news.

I can't honestly say I have a good feeling about it though.

Guest VaVaVoom

For what it's worth:

Bang on fella.

good post from Neil, only thing i'd say is that pards only comparable history as a manager was west ham....2 good seasons and the wheels came off basically, he had no answer, there are a number of parallels between the two situations imo as well, starting with his handling of HBA vs. tevez/masch

BUT, BUT, i'm not trying to detract from what has been wonderful season so far, so we're clear

I think it's a bit silly to think any manager is flawless, especially not someone like Pardew who no-one is saying a top-class manager at all. People can have whatever doubts they like about him, but the bottom is line he's got you 6th (a long way clear of 8th) - higher than I'd dare say anyone realistically would have expected:

With all due respect, I don't particularly see you as our rivals.

:facepalm:

I find on the main Everton forum I frequent that people have quite a set opinion of Moyes and whenever something goes right, they're hard pushed to give credit to him, and likewise, any defeat is by and large his fault. Simplistic way of summing up the situation, admittedly, but the general point stands. I don't see what's wrong with taking games a few at a time and seeing how players and the manager have done instead of having a stubborn mentality that so and so is or isn't good enough for your club. People change. Circumstances change. I couldn't say with any great detail whether that applies here due to me hardly being in the middle of regular lengthy debates about the virtues or otherwise of Alan Pardew, but it would be complete and utter madness to want to get rid of him at the moment IMO.

As far as I can see, if he can keep it up, he should be Manager of the Year.