Alan Pardew

JH

Johnnyod, I'm struggling to keep up with your argument TBH. We're overachieving but at the same time we should be revising our expectations all the time? It's a view I struggle to understand TBH, no offence meant.

I realise pre-season predictions are imperfect, but it's also slightly odd to say that because we've done unusually well so far we should do unusually well for the rest of the season, or even better. Maybe we're due a downward correction and the original predictions were right after all. 

why would i be offended if you are too dim to understand?  ;)

it's like a sprinter from jamaica going to run in barbados not feeling too good and thinking he'd do well to get bronze. then when he gets there he blows everyone away in the heats after realising that his opponents aren't as good as him. should he stick to the original predictions and be happy with bronze or re-adjust his expectations to take into account for fuller and more comprehensive knowledge he has gained?

;)

I see what you're saying, but it's kind of like saying the sprinter should revise his expectations at about 55 metres.

We haven't finished the season, who's to say that the predictions about top 10 weren't fair, and if we end up there it's OK after all? I mean, we had some knowledge of our opponents, and it was pretty accurate. We basically knew who the top 6 would be, and those teams are there. There are some teams like Villa and Everton who are slightly underachieving, but that could still correct before the end of the season.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter either way, you're entitled to expect whatever finish you want, I just think what Pardew has managed so far has been very good. Apart from the style of football, which I can understand but don't enjoy.

actually i'd say a similar, albeit far more extreme thing happened when we went down into the championship - losing heavily to leyton orient in pre-season plenty on here thought we would struggle and go into a tailspin pre-season. yet after a mere handful of matches it was pretty fucking obvious we were far better than just about everyone in that crap division. anyone who thought the pre-season gloom was a relevant yardstick to measure ourselves against in those circumstances is a clown.

can't spell it out any more clearly than that.

Of course we have to change our original expectations given how good Ba is, and especially now having added Cisse otherwise what was the point in signing him? ???

Of course we have to appreciate how good these players are and enjoy the fact that they are better than we expected. But we don't have to remove credit for our league position from the manager because he happens to have some good players.

Johnnyod, I'm struggling to keep up with your argument TBH. We're overachieving but at the same time we should be revising our expectations all the time? It's a view I struggle to understand TBH, no offence meant.

I realise pre-season predictions are imperfect, but it's also slightly odd to say that because we've done unusually well so far we should do unusually well for the rest of the season, or even better. Maybe we're due a downward correction and the original predictions were right after all. 

why would i be offended if you are too dim to understand?  ;)

it's like a sprinter from jamaica going to run in barbados not feeling too good and thinking he'd do well to get bronze. then when he gets there he blows everyone away in the heats after realising that his opponents aren't as good as him. should he stick to the original predictions and be happy with bronze or re-adjust his expectations to take into account for fuller and more comprehensive knowledge he has gained?

;)

I see what you're saying, but it's kind of like saying the sprinter should revise his expectations at about 55 metres.

We haven't finished the season, who's to say that the predictions about top 10 weren't fair, and if we end up there it's OK after all? I mean, we had some knowledge of our opponents, and it was pretty accurate. We basically knew who the top 6 would be, and those teams are there. There are some teams like Villa and Everton who are slightly underachieving, but that could still correct before the end of the season.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter either way, you're entitled to expect whatever finish you want, I just think what Pardew has managed so far has been very good. Apart from the style of football, which I can understand but don't enjoy.

I think he's been good rather than very good personally and i would agree he has overachieved.

i just don't think we should view our achievement now in the light of people saying we'd finish 16th or whatever back in july.

even though it comes off negatively my criticisms of pardew tend to be pointed and specific rather than saying we should get rid or he's a fool or whatever. i still think there's a couple on here who are being too extreme in their demands of Pardew, ie HTT.

If we are constantly revising expectations - at what point would Pardew ever get praise for what he has achieved? I don't quite follow how preseason expectations were, for the sake of argument, 8th-11th, we are currently in 6th (3 points off 4th) and now people are suggesting that actually we have a squad (which we clearly don't) that should be in 6th by virtue of its quality and that therefore Pardew is, at best, matching expectations. It doesn't make sense!  At what point is any of the success attributed to Pardew and as part of a wider point, at what time is any success attributed to any manager?  Or by virtue of its current league position, is each team achieving what it should be because expectations have been revised?

In summary, what I am trying to say is that it seems as if people have had an initial opinion, seen that we are now doing better than that original opinion, and decided that that is definitve proof that actually our squad is better than originally predicted and we are merely at par.  And that this improvement is solely down to the innate ability of the players in the squad and  has been achieved in spite of our manager?

If we are constantly revising expectations - at what point would Pardew ever get praise for what he has achieved? I don't quite follow how preseason expectations were, for the sake of argument, 8th-11th, we are currently in 6th (3 points off 4th) and now people are suggesting that actually we have a squad (which we clearly don't) that should be in 6th by virtue of its quality and that therefore Pardew is, at best, matching expectations. It doesn't make sense!  At what point is any of the success attributed to Pardew and as part of a wider point, at what time is any success attributed to any manager?  Or by virtue of its current league position, is each team achieving what it should be because expectations have been revised?

One person said 6th.  I'd say we have the 7th best squad in the league (a decent few would agree). If he finished 7th then well done, however even at that if the performances remain crap for the most part than that should not be ignored. In addition we have been s*** in the cups, and that much is finished.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,89739.50.html

Predictions thread. It's quite interesting in a dull sort of way.

Even more dull is compiling the results...

And here it is:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/4729/capturekev.png

My maths might be proper bollocks, but I get the average vote as 10.47th from 149 predictions before we'd kicked a ball this season.

If we are constantly revising expectations - at what point would Pardew ever get praise for what he has achieved? I don't quite follow how preseason expectations were, for the sake of argument, 8th-11th, we are currently in 6th (3 points off 4th) and now people are suggesting that actually we have a squad (which we clearly don't) that should be in 6th by virtue of its quality and that therefore Pardew is, at best, matching expectations. It doesn't make sense!  At what point is any of the success attributed to Pardew and as part of a wider point, at what time is any success attributed to any manager? Or by virtue of its current league position, is each team achieving what it should be because expectations have been revised?

In summary, what I am trying to say is that it seems as if people have had an initial opinion, seen that we are now doing better than that original opinion, and decided that that is definitve proof that actually our squad is better than originally predicted and we are merely at par.  And that this improvement is solely down to the innate ability of the players in the squad and  has been achieved in spite of our manager?

When he is clearly getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. League position and results aren't necessarily the best judge of that.

It is not a bad indicator to be fair. I think usually the best indicator...  Certainly better than some subjective judgement about where a team 'should' be finishing, based on a fairly woolly assessment of the merits of the players of every squad in the league.

Wonder which older players he would be interested in signing. I'm happy with buying the younger players tbh, just don't like the fact that it's mainly buying them to sell them off at a much higher price a few years later.