Alan Pardew

JH

Who are those wanting perfection?

I wouldn't say people want perfection but expectations are constantly changing and getting to an unreasonable point.

At the start of the season 99% would have cut their balls off to be in this position no matter what, now we are in this position quite a few aren't happy with the style of football. Seen quite a few comments about getting a replacement in, even a manager who was behind us when he was sacked despite having a multi million (well into the hundreds of millions) pound squad and spending £60m in the summer.

I for one raised my concerns about the "style of football". Yes, it was not pleasing on the eye; but always more importantly - and what people seem to forget when reffering to "style of football" or "good football" - we were not utilising our playing resources effectively and efficiently. This is/was the crux of my issue with Pardew. It was no use having players with specific strengths on your books (and the intention of recruiting similar types in future), yet implement a style that does not play to their strengths.

Today we saw what can be acheived by developing and executing a game plan based on the strengths of our team. So I will give Pardew credit for that and hope that it continues.

But really let us all enjoy the victory. As unexpected as it seemed, we won and did so with some style.

Spot on.

I wouldn't say people want perfection but expectations are constantly changing and getting to an unreasonable point.

At the start of the season 99% would have cut their balls off to be in this position no matter what, now we are in this position quite a few aren't happy with the style of football. Seen quite a few comments about getting a replacement in, even a manager who was behind us when he was sacked despite having a multi million (well into the hundreds of millions) pound squad and spending £60m in the summer.

I for one raised my concerns about the "style of football". Yes, it was not pleasing on the eye; but always more importantly - and what people seem to forget when reffering to "style of football" or "good football" - we were not utilising our playing resources effectively and efficiently. This is/was the crux of my issue with Pardew. It was no use having players with specific strengths on your books (and the intention of recruiting similar types in future), yet implement a style that does not play to their strengths.

Today we saw what can be acheived by developing and executing a game plan based on the strengths of our team. So I will give Pardew credit for that and hope that it continues.

But really let us all enjoy the victory. As unexpected as it seemed, we won and did so with some style.

But we seem to have been playing shit football for the majority of the season despite being better than 14 other clubs in the league.

I was very happy with today and admit  have been concered with the way we have played recently. I just think there is are some very OTT comments at times.

That's true, summed up well, but the manifestation of some people's "concerns" in here have been ridiculous, and that's the issue some of us have.

Some of the gloating in here is pathetic.  :lol:

Nobody wants us to play poor football, nobody wants Pardew to fail because if he does, we all do.

Some people think we've been playing some negative shit while getting results and I think most who do think we've played some negative shit thought that the current players were capable of better, today we've shown that they are.  Maybe the wrong people are the ones who are actually gloating, just a thought.

The problem isn't the view that we could play better football, it's the disparity between praise and criticism when a good or bad result occurs, and the overwhelming feeling in this thread that some are watching Pardew's every single move and jumping on every minor thing they don't like.

Sometimes you just can't win playing whilst playing great football and have to win ugly, and we have done that when need be. It's all about the bigger picture and getting bogged down in semantics and throwing dirt at the manager because of a few poor performances is really annoying and childish and something which we criticise others for.

Actually I've not been happy even with a lot of games we've won because the football has been harum scarum rubbish. What pleased me most today was that we looked to keep possession and didn't get pressured into booting it long. Contrary to what many think I don't think all of us demand attacking football, what we want is to see a team which can control the game and and get the best out of a very talented forward line up. Today we did that perfectly and we really looked like a team that deserves to be 6th on merit.

I think this game will do wonders for the rest of the season because now the players know what we are capable of. Well done to Pardew for getting it right.

Guest ToonZA

But we seem to have been playing s*** football for the majority of the season despite being better than 14 other clubs in the league.

I was very happy with today and admit  have been concered with the way we have played recently. I just think there is are some very OTT comments at times.

Agreed, there are some OTT comments (by both sides tbf) and I hope they stem from being passionate about the club and it's future and not anything else.

As for whether we playing shit football for the majority of the season..well here is my take. I cannot say we have been convincing in many of our games this season and in the main, i was mostly left feeling that the result could go either way. Thankfully, the results mostly went our way. We can say it's down to individual brilliance (Ba, Krul, Colo, etc) or just plain luck. I don't know, except to say that those players are on our books so we have the right to benefit from their brilliance. We also have the responsibility to utilise them to the best of ability. Much the same as any good business will utilise their assets in the best manner.

At least we shared concerns about the way we were playing and hopefully today was the first step towards addressing those concerns.

Personally I have no problem with constructive criticism, but the abuse is just pathetic. Very prominent members of this forum have said some disgraceful things about him recently. Hopefully it stops here, but it won't.

Guest Haris Vuckic

carpet football at times today, three great goals.

Losing Coloccini couldn't be helped today & that left us shakey, if He hadn't of got injured we would have been looking at 5 or 6.

Got it spot on today.

We looked lethal in the first half and scored 3 really good goals. Well-worked goals that involved getting players passing and moving without humping it. Was a joy to watch.

Second half started poorly but I was impressed at how we kept hold of the ball for long periods of the second half and still created enough chances to have ended up with about 7, had they all been taken. Credit where it's due, got it spot on today.

:)

That's more like it, Alan!

Pardew set us up in the right way today. His instructions and his team selection were pretty much bang on. Today was definitely the best we played in a while, we played some wonderful stuff in the first half - everything just clicked. The midfield linked up well with the forwards and vice-versa. Thought we were very disciplined in the second half as well (even though West Brom had a few good chances to get back into the game). All in all, the defending was decent enough and the attacking was absolutely top class. Positive and encouraging stuff.

50 points from 30 games (and level with Chelsea). Well done Pards, more of the same next week please!

Personally I have no problem with constructive criticism, but the abuse is just pathetic. Very prominent members of this forum have said some disgraceful things about him recently. Hopefully it stops here, but it won't.

Been reading this forum more than posting over the last few years. I'd just about agree with this, although I'd go further and say that while there has been a swell of genuine constructive criticism recently, there is a small minority who have been itching to leap on the manager's back for the entire season. Heres one of them:

The QPR performance was as poor as anything Allardyce, Souness or Roeder through up. Our football under Pardew has, in the main, been turgid s***. We are relying on hard work, team spirit and a reasonably settled and solid defence. We need far more to advance. Pardew may know what he needs to do but I'm not too sure he has the ability to put together such a side much less get it playing well. His substitutions and decisions from the dugout suggest that and worry me a lot.

And we need some clarity, why is he a c***?

He's a proven liar, dishonest and someone I'd class as a snide. He's a bull shiter in short and a bit of a c*** as a result. Just my opinion of course but hey that's how I see him, as a bit of a c***.

He's f***ing useless. s*** lineup, s*** tactics, s*** subs, s*** management. Vukic for f*** sake.

Its as if all the things the Hammers fan client of ours said about him is becoming true. I spat my drink out when I saw that Vukic was starting. That to me shows the man has no clear idea what team to go with and at this stage of the season, given how long he has worked with these players, that is f***ing scary. I'll hang my head on the line here and now and say we will not finish in the top 10 this season because of this clown. I hope he's replaced in jan with someone who has a clue because we have a decent core here, a core that needs direction not f***ing tinkered with and f***ed about with anal tactics. Ba is not a target man but he deployed him as one and threw the ball long time and time again. I'm not an expert but that tactic and use of Ba borders on f***ing retartded.

(beat Man United 3-0 a few days after this post)

Disgraceful attitude towards a manager doing a fantastic job. Can only guess what the motivation is, but I can't see what keeping up a constant stream of vitriolic hatred towards Pardew is supposed to achieve.

I do remember that at the start of the season the above viewpoints weren't the isolated voices they are now. People didn't like Pardew for their own reasons, not all of them to do with results.

They wrote about it on forums and in fanzines, the media picked up on it, and we were left with the ridiculous situation where the Journal and other newspapers were calling the 2nd game of the season a "must win" game for Pardew, piling the pressure on a manager who was unbeaten in 4 or 5 and just one game into a new season.

I really thought that all that would have been left behind by the unbeaten run he went on after that. But theres an extremely vocal, very small minority on here who it seems will always have it in for him.

I'm not sure how they think this will help, but whenever we next have a blip they'll all be out in force regardless of the circumstances, making us all look like pricks. Good to know.

He has done things that have seemed odd to fans and attracted criticism, but he's steered us to the best of his ability and he seems to be moving us in the right direction.

Expectations have shifted upwards in a way I hadn't expected as well.

I've tried to be as constructive as possible with my criticism. I've never once said I wanted him sacked, and was actually a staunch supporter of him, but the last couple of months have been absolutely deserving of criticism.

If we see more of what we saw today for the rest of the season I can't take anything away from him, a good job becomes an extraordinary job if we're doing it playing like that.

Pardew plays down top four bid

Goals from Papiss Cisse (2) and Hatem Ben Arfa enabled the Magpies to move level on points with fifth-placed Chelsea in the Premier League before Shane Long's second half consolation effort.

But Pardew believes Newcastle are not well enough equipped to overhaul one of the top four.

Pardew said: "Are we Champions League contenders? I don't think so. The last 10 games are the most important ones in any season and we've won the first two of those.

"There are a lot of games left, a lot of points. But I don't think we've got the depth of squad to challenge for that (a Champions League place).

"I get told the fans might be thinking 'this is on' - but not me."

Ben Arfa, who set up Cisse's two goals, was the official man of the match and Pardew believes he is a reformed character worth a place in the France squad.

He said: "There are not many players who can do what he can do and it might be a nice wild card for France to have him in the squad.

"He really has knuckled down and there is a much more controlled person in his manner and the way he is around the training ground.

"I can say that publicly so it registers with the French manager.

"In the past in France there was some reputation that he was an 'enfant terrible' but not here.

"He has been immaculate and especially this season he has really kind of focused and got his mind set in a good place."

Pardew confirmed Newcastle skipper Fabricio Coloccini will miss next weekend's clash against Liverpool with a hamstring injury.

http://www.football365.com/newcastle-united/7626588/Pards-plays-down-top-four-bid

Meh. I know it's not going to happen, but it's a bit of a shame for him to completely write it off. Not even a 'we'll see what happens' kind of comment. Just pure 'not going to happen'.

Meh. I know it's not going to happen, but it's a bit of a shame for him to completely write it off. Not even a 'we'll see what happens' kind of comment. Just pure 'not going to happen'.

Douglas on Twitter seems to think this is his "public safe view". Talking up the possibility behind-closed-doors.

Sensible, I think.

Delighted to see we played such good stuff yesterday, I've thought this 4-3-3 might be his long term vision for a while now and it certainly is producing our best football.

Agree fully that some of the criticism has been over the top and those who would like to see him sacked are off their heads, prior to yesterday our football had been very poor for a while though and he deserved some criticism for that.

Looking forward to seeing us hopefully add a few quality players to the squad in the summer and hopefully producing football like this on a more consistent basis next season.

Guest WashyGeordie

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nejournal/dec2010/3/0/alan-pardew-827016700.jpg

Marching on for Europe.