Alan Pardew

JH

Alan Pardew: We must deliver on Euro promise

by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

ALAN PARDEW feels that his top-six Newcastle United side have given the Toon Army the right to “dream” of the Champions League.

But the Toon gaffer has handed his side a simple brief in the final seven games of the campaign by telling his players to: “Give the Geordie public the European football they deserve.”

United continue their impressive Premier League campaign at Swansea City’s Liberty Stadium in South Wales on Friday afternoon – but Pardew feels that more far-flung trips could be coming the way of the black-and-white faithful next term.

The United manager has transformed a team that were grappling with mid-table mediocrity just 12 months ago into genuine Euro contenders.

Speaking about how expectations have risen dramatically, Pardew told the Chronicle: “The fans can dream about Champions League or even winning the league, I couldn’t care less.

“But we have put them in the mix. Three victories will be pretty close to a Europa League place.”

Newcastle are locked on 53 points with Chelsea, but the Blues hold fifth spot on goal difference.

Should United climb above them, they will qualify automatically for the Europa League.

However, there are also just five points between Newcastle and Spurs and Arsenal in the top four – a gap that could be

trimmed to two by Friday night.

Pardew is trying hard to keep feet on the ground after three successive wins propelled the club to the brink of continental competition for the first time in six years.

Looking ahead to the challenge of the Swans and whether his troops can gatecrash the Champions League party, Pardew said: “I don’t know.

“We have had a focus all year about looking at the next game. Swansea is a tough place to go, they’ve done brilliantly at home.

“The way they play they move the ball around means it will be different to Liverpool.

“And we will have to find the right answers.”

Tough or not though, a swarm of black and whites are heading to the Liberty on Good Friday to roar their heroes on.

Pardew concluded: “It will be lovely to see that.

“The greatest reward I can give these fans is European football.

“That’s what we are trying to do.”

Source

What if Pards has more of a longer-term plan for the team?

End of last season: try and find out what he's inherited, start to make the team difficult to beat

First full season: work on getting the team working in the right way off the ball and install the defensive ethos that he wants the team to adapt (built around Krul and Colo). Make sure that the team is difficult to beat and are capable of providing a solid platform for season two/three. League position is a bonus if it's above mid-table. Bring the 'flair' players to the fore towards the end of the season.

Second season: start to build upon the defensive platform, expand upon the passing, possession-retaining game and make the flair players a key part of the game plan.

Third season: by this stage, the core players (Krul - Colo - Cabaye) understand the philosophy and instructions and this is constantly repeated in the dressing room and on the pitch. This is where we win the league :bluestar:

"I think we’re a year ahead of schedule. I didn’t expect us to be fighting as close as we are at the moment for a European spot, but we’re going to take the chance in front of us if we can. We find ourselves in contention for Europe this year and in a great position after the result on Sunday.

"One of the keys has been the way the new players have settled. A lot of things were settled last year and we put down the foundations of how we played and conducted ourselves around the training ground and that’s followed through this season so it’s been a lot easier for the new players to settle into that environment.

"Victories have come at crucial times and we’ve been able to bounce back from defeats, some heavy ones as well, with good results. And all the squad have played a part. That doesn’t always happen.

"Players have come in and done as well as the ones that have gone out and I’ve not lost a wink of sleep over selecting someone over somebody else and that’s important.

"Football doesn’t often put an opportunity in front of you, so you’ve got to try and grasp it. I’ve been saying that to the players. We’ve got an opportunity, so let’s grasp it with both hands and hopefully that’s what we’ll do in the remaining games.

"Keeping the players focused isn’t really an issue because they’ve been doing it all year. They’ve gained momentum, they’ve been totally committed and they’ll continue like that, I’m sure, for the remaining games we’ve got left.

"The Europa League format works against Premier League teams because of the nature of our division, and the intensity you need to play a Premier League game. Some of the other leagues, playing in the Europa League wouldn’t be so much of an issue because not every game is as fully committed as some of ours, so it’s harder.

"But that doesn’t mean to say that we wouldn’t accept that challenge. We really hope - for our fans more than anything - that we can get European football for them."

:smug: :pow:

Guest Paxton

Alan Pardew is a bloody good manager.

Turned championship fodder 2 years ago into a solid top 6 six side, on a pretty limited budget.

But I still think he's an utter wanker.

Alan Pardew is a bloody good manager.

Turned championship fodder 2 years ago into a solid top 6 six side, on a pretty limited budget.

But I still think he's an utter wanker.

Championship fodder ffs :lol: