Is Mike Ashley the worst person ever to have been associated with NUFC?

AlanSkÃrare

The money we got for Milner was excellent. The problem as normal was the failure to replace him.

One of the reasons the money was "excellent" - it was right at the end of the transfer window with no time to replace him and only the inflated January market to come. And then in panic we spent a big chunk of the cash on Xisco who has done an awful lot less for the club, and on much higher wages, than James Milner.

It also cost us a 2m payout to Keegan for constructive dismissal, and a good deal more than 12m getting relegated so I'm not sure that the money looks quite so good from a long view. This is even before you factor in the successful 26m City bid for him 2 years later.

Exactly. Twas a shit transfer that helped majorly in getting us relegated and thus surely cost us more than the fee which we are still paying back to ashley now.

Rather than try to keep one of our best young players, the club took the opportunity to cash in and made it look like it was the player who wanted to leave. The manager who was initially dead set against the transfer was sated by the fact that he was promised that the money would be spent bringing in a better replacement and told the supporters as much.

Villa finished 6th for 2 years with Milner as an integral part of their team and one of their best players.

We didn't replace him, lost our manager, and got relegated.

Great business.

Good job Ashley learnt his lesson and didn't make the same mistake again with Carroll by making sure the manager at the time was either complicit or wouldn't object to being used. The signs of how Ashley was going to run the club were clear even back then for those who wanted to see them, yet even now some wont/can't.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest neesy111

I still can't figure out what's happened. Barton tweeted something, Ash flipped out, now...Barton is fired?

Not fired, as that would involve paying Barton compensation.  He's available for free.

NUFC have grounds for sacking barton.

Went into Sports Direct today. Gorgeous lass behind the desk asked me to buy a bag because it would entitle her to more hours over the summer. :lol:

Should have asked if she shook hands on that deal.

I'm not giving Ashley much blame on this one. Barton was on very thin ice before last season and he repaid some of the loyalty back but to continually start fights like he is doing is just moronic and shows himself and the club (ie. the fans) up completely. I really don't think he's worth the bother that ALWAYS follows him.

P.S. Yes Joey, we knew everything you're "revealing" years before you "revealed" it. Keegan told us.

Guest neesy111

I'm not giving Ashley much blame on this one. Barton was on very thin ice before last season and he repaid some of the loyalty back but to continually start fights like he is doing is just moronic and shows himself and the club (ie. the fans) up completely. I really don't think he's worth the bother that ALWAYS follows him.

P.S. Yes Joey, we knew everything you're "revealing" years before you "revealed" it. Keegan told us.

Good post Jack.

Went into Sports Direct today. Gorgeous lass behind the desk asked me to buy a bag because it would entitle her to more hours over the summer. :lol:

Should have shook her hand, walked away and then returned with half money.

Good post Jack.

Good post but how does the likely departure of Barton and the very real possibility that no replacement will added to the squad influence your view of Ashley? Surely you have to lean towards the negative if Ashley allows another player to go without adding a replacement of comparable quality to the team?

Toontalk wanna get down and dirty with all the other forums and supporters group and before they even get started this one will end up in the trash /recycle bin  ;D

Newcastle Fans United

"What is a club? Not the buildings, directors or people who are paid to represent it, the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, It's a small boy gripping his father's hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love."  Sir Robert William "Bobby" Robson, CBE (18 February 1933 – 31 July 2009)

As the quote above alludes, a football club is its fans and the video on the "our message" on our page pretty much sums up what this group of fans is all about.  We appreciate that Mike Ashley inherited a mess from Freddy Shepherd and Douglas Hall - but that is not our fault, nor is it an adequate excuse for his continued eccentric behaviour and short sightedness. Newcastle United usually wait about 6 months between the hoofs that they give us supporters in the privates. This time it is only a matter of hours since the last one." 

So as a wise man once said, "Enough is enough and too much is plenty" - if you agree that Mike Ashley has to engage please spread the word about this site, use our forum to connect to other fans and create a UNITED front to force him to share his agenda.  Please leave your baggage at the door, set aside your ego and join us in this sustained campaign to unite all the various fans' groups in dialogue with the club.  We come at this from an anti Ashley angle but appreciate there is a way we can all be reconciled.

Please log on via this link:

http://www.nufcfansutd.com/ind​ex.html

Are there any owners in the Premier League which are worse?  Blackburn's guys are off to a shaky start but they've certainly not managed to make as many obvious utter fuck ups and completely humiliate the fans of their club a much as our lot.