Stevenage 3 - 1 Newcastle Utd (FA Cup) - 08/01/11 - post match reaction from p34

Dave

The worst thing about this defeat (apart from Tiote's red card) is that we will never hear the end of it from the media. It's the new Hereford.

E.g.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9351801.stm

1316: Anyone want to see one of the great football quotes of all time? OK, come on then...

Stevenage manager Graham Westley, after their 3-1 Cup win over Newcastle: "The focus before the game was how we would win 5-0. We established that if we did just 20% of what it would take to win 5-0 we would still win the game. Our game plan was to get to five. Three wasn't five but it was a decent result."

1318: Told you. Ian Holloway: The bar has just been raised.

Just got round to reviewing this.

It says in the Mag this month that you should never say 'that was the worst NUFC performance i've ever seen' because there will always have been worse.

Well, f*** them, because this was the worst performance i've seen in 20 years following the club.

Total and utter disgraceful performances, every single one of them.

Sums it up for me - was so pissed off last night at the performance and the tiote situation. I hope this ends any myths surrounding Smith that he is a footballer - pardew got so much wrong that must never be repeated

Their manager is a bit of a cock like.

At the end of the day though, they've had their moment in the sun now. They've had their one day where they attract a decent crowd, made an atmosphere and got a memorable result. Ultimately though, they're not going to win the cup and in all likelyhood neither were we. Next week their 3000 or so regulars will go back to quietly watching League Two mediocrity and the 3000 or so that came out of the woodwork will go back to watching their Premier League team on the telly.

It's an embarrassing result and a painful one to take, but it shouldn't have an adverse effect on our decent season so far. Move on and forget.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

If Tiote didn't get red carded, I'd probably be fine with the result, as mad as that sounds. Not happy with the performance by any means, but it's the Tiote thing that's pissed me off

If Tiote didn't get red carded, I'd probably be fine with the result, as mad as that sounds. Not happy with the performance by any means, but it's the Tiote thing that's pissed me off

Aye. It was like someone turning the knife.

Aye. It was like someone turning the knife.

It was just so typical of us, especially since its the mackems next - just standard nufc

Still can't believe this happened. Having slept on it I am still not bothered about the result at all, I am just gutted about missing Tiote for Sunderland (mainly), Spurs and Fulham. With the league as it is this season three defeats on the bounce could see us right back down in the relegation mixer and our chances of losing all of those games increase massively without tiote in the side. I was tossing and turning at 3am unable to sleep still angry about it, different people will apportion blame differently but I genuinely believe, given that it had already been stated he was an injury doubt, Pardew should not have even had him on the bus let alone bring him on at two nil down. For this reason in my opinion the majority of the blame lies at Pardews feet.

I would love to see the lads prove me wrong but I can't see it. Such a shame as I have been looking forward to this game for months and now i'm dreading it, would give my right hand for a draw at the moment. On top of all that, as someone pointed out, he will almost inevitably miss a further two games for picking up 10 bookings which could be key if we are dragged back into the relegation mix. This may sound very extreme but this could potentially be a season defining moment, I pray it is not.

That's nobody's fault but Tiote's. Like I said in the match thread yesterday, you can't not pick a player because you're worried he's going to get a yellow or red card before he's even went on the field, else you shouldn't play him full stop.

tiote who gets booked all the time, while we are chasing a game, on a shite pitch, against players whose shite touch constantly invites 50-50s (and which drew tiote's 'foul')? plenty of people on here were hoping he wouldn't get any pitch time and plenty thought itwas the wrong move to make. it was a risk and it backfired. had it came off he'd have received praise, it hasnt so he gets deserved stick.

Exactly. Pardew made a monumental gaffe by including Tiote in this game after he limped off the pitch in the last one. Everyone and his dog wanted Tiote kept back for the derby except Pards. It reeks of Souness' habit of playing semi-crocked players in a pathetic attempts to save his own hide. I'm sorry but it was a fucking rank decision and it can't be stressed strongly enough.

Late to the party, but that was the worst performance I've ever seen and we deserve to be relegated down to the Northern Premier League just for how ridiculously bad that was. Just totally, unbelievably bad, I cannot express in words how abject that was.

I'm sure most people on the forum know me as a pretty sensible guy. Well, I think every single player on the pitch yesterday should be sacked and preferably have their legs broken into three pieces. It was that bad.

24 hours after the fact I'm still so pissed off that I'm almost numb.

watching Krul think he has serious issue's with his judgement and the defence, what defence, Simpson was very poor never thought much of him in the first place, Smith 'nuff said, Colo god help us. Too much slack passing, impression I gained, was the team weren't really interested.

Just a shame Leeds didn't beat Arsenal and not much being said of the scum getting walloped at home by Notts County. Oh well at least one set of B&W's into the next round.

Late to the party, but that was the worst performance I've ever seen and we deserve to be relegated down to the Northern Premier League just for how ridiculously bad that was. Just totally, unbelievably bad, I cannot express in words how abject that was.

I'm sure most people on the forum know me as a pretty sensible guy. Well, I think every single player on the pitch yesterday should be sacked and preferably have their legs broken into three pieces. It was that bad.

24 hours after the fact I'm still so pissed off that I'm almost numb.

:lol:

The only thing that could make this better would be Stevenage drawing Arsenal or Chelsea like we always do.

Knowing our luck, they'll get the shittest team left.

And probably lose ;)

Alright, It sucked to lose, but at least this wasn't a wake up call for how bad we ARE. The players just didn't want to put a performance in. I was ridiculed by the starting 11 not playing hungry youngsters and couple of the veterans.

Risking Tiote was stupid but in the end he had no other choice, we were playing so bad in the middle of the park and Pardew probably thought we still had a chance. The change should've come when they scored their first goal though.

Abysmal performance, but I feel we wouldn't win this cup anyways and our squad is to thin to really have  a go for it.

Now lets look forward to the Shitland match.

The only thing that could make this better would be Stevenage drawing Arsenal or Chelsea like we always do.

And probably lose ;)

That'd be the best outcome.

Guest Tall Striker

They can't draw themselves.

Eh?  Drawing Arsenal or Chelsea etc is what every Stevenage fan is after.  We're not gonna win the thing,  but we might as well make as much money and have as much fun as possible while we're still in it.

Eh?  Drawing Arsenal or Chelsea etc is what every Stevenage fan is after.  We're not gonna win the thing,  but we might as well make as much money and have as much fun as possible while we're still in it.

It would make it ever so slightly less bad for Newcastle fans, in the sense of "oh well, we beat Stevenage and we were going out anyway."

How much were the tickets?

Also, how many fans did we have there?

£30, 1400 I think.

Thanks a lot.

Official Protest making move to call for club/players/ASHLEYTHEDESTROYER to refund all away fans the cost of their ticket?