Sunderland v Newcastle United pre-match thread - Sun 16th Jan at 12!

Beren

If he learnt anything from today, it's not to play Smith under any circumstances. I'd put Barton alongside Nolan in the middle and use Routledge right wing.

Apparently you have learned nothing! Nolan in midfield with Barton?! Nolan shouldn't be played in midfield without Tiote in there. Barton is better than Smith, but even he would struggle to do the work Tiote does to make up for Nolan's hopelessness at everything other than finishing in the box. You have to understand that as bad as Smith was today, Nolan also played a huge part in making him look even worse.

If he learnt anything from today, it's not to play Smith under any circumstances. I'd put Barton alongside Nolan in the middle and use Routledge right wing.

Apparently you have learned nothing! Nolan in midfield with Barton?! Nolan shouldn't be played in midfield without Tiote in there. Barton is better than Smith, but even he would struggle to do the work Tiote does to make up for Nolan's hopelessness at everything other than finishing in the box. You have to understand that as bad as Smith was today, Nolan also played a huge part in making him look even worse.

You're right, I agree 100%. But the way I see it, it's less catastrophic if we put and actual footballer by Nolan's side than that man who for some reason turned up in our jersey today. Guthrie isn't derby material and therefore not an option in my opinion. Would be nice if we had Gosling back, but it's no game to make your comeback in either.

Without a successful appeal for :tiote: we might as well not turn up

f***ing hell :) 

You know, even if Tiote's card is rescinded and he gets to play, the silly f***er will probably get sent off after ten minutes anyway :)

Aye cause hes had loads of deserved sendings off this season :)

Normally i'd say, even though we're weaker, it's a derby and everything goes out the window. But the loss of Tiote is just colossal. Providing he isn't completely crocked, i'd genuinely consider rushing Carroll back to play upfront with Ameobi - if we've got any hope at all.

Harper

Simpson - Williamson - Coloccini - Enrique

Barton - Nolan - Guthrie - Jonas

Ameobi - Carroll

That's the best we can hope for, with the current crop, in my opinion. For all i've spoken out against us signing a right-winger, it'd actually be really useful if we could get one in. :lol: Annoying, cos Barton's infinitely better on the right - but i can't bare the thought of Nolan being paired with one of Guthrie or Smith.

We'll get walked all over with two of them three. And since i can't see any immediate progression in the market (and the Carroll thing is pie in the sky), i can see this one being quite comfortable for the Mackems.

1-3. :undecided:

Well I'd have been happy with a draw all along, but if the Tiote appeal fails (never trust the FA) then a draw would be miraculous. Don't think what happened today will affect this performance though. We may sign someone this week so its hard to completely guess a team, but I think he'll go:

Harper

Simpson    Taylor    Coloccini    Enrique

Routledge  Barton      Nolan      Jonas

Carroll      Ameobi

BENCH: Krul, Perch, Williamson, Smith, Guthrie, Best, Lovenkrands

Without Tiote, I think it'll be 1-2.

They're decimated, we CAN get something out of this game.

Sunderland 10

D Welbeck Hamstring Injury 1st Feb 11 

D Meyler Knee Injury no return date 

L Cattermole Back Injury 22nd Jan 11 

N Onuoha Hamstring Injury 16th Jan 11 

J Mensah Ankle/Foot Injury 16th Jan 11 

M Turner Knee Injury 26th Feb 11 

T Carson Shoulder Injury no return date 

M Kilgallon Back Injury no return date 

A Reid Hamstring Injury no return date 

F Campbell ACL Knee Injury May 11