Pitch invasion...

GM

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/fa-league-cups/newcastle-shocked-by-stevenage-salvo-2179809.html

Questions will be asked about the visiting supporters, too, after the Stevenage full-back Scott Laird was punched to the ground by a Newcastle fan at the end and coins were thrown in the direction of opposition players during the second half.

The club want to be onto these for a fucking apology, sharpish.

As a Canadian I am generally confused by the print media in England. Which papers are legitimate and which are tabloids?

I know that the Sun is a tabloid and that The Times and Guardian are legit. What of the rest in terms of football reporting?

Tabloids: Sun, Star, Mirror, Express, Mail, News of the World, People

'Proper' newspapers: Independent, Times, Guardian, Telegraph, Observer

Dedicated: Daily/Sunday Sport

Shame the 'proper' newspapers fail to uphold any standards just like the tabloids.

Why would a Newcastle fan smack a Stevenage player anyway? It'd make more sense for him to punch one of the sackless twats wearing blue. :lol:

Sour grapes, perhaps? Or it could have been Cajun?

i would have knocked out one of the cunts in blue,

Guest Heneage

I don't think it was a Stevenage fan tbh, I think it was just a random who wanted something he could flog on eBay.

So much conjecture here :lol: It will be interesting to see how long this thread has to run before someone comes up with the "grassy knoll" and the "book depository" equivalent theories for this episode.

:lol:

There was in fact 3 slappers! Not hard to find in Stevenage though.  :crazy2:

What I meant was I don't think the person was a fan of either side. They were in the home end of course but I think they were probably a neutral who turned up.

Either way it's disgraceful behavior wonder if it will affect them playing future ties at their place.

To be fair, there were some coins thrown for our end at the Stevenage player (I spotted one when one of their players went to take a corner). Okay we may not have punched one of their players, but that's pretty shambolic in itself.

To be fair, there were some coins thrown for our end at the Stevenage player (I spotted one when one of their players went to take a corner). Okay we may not have punched one of their players, but that's pretty shambolic in itself.

The only thing I saw thrown was a bottle at Barton when he went to take a corner. I found it bizarre the linesman just kicked it away and made no comment about it.

Admittedly I did spend a lot of the second half with my head in my hands so I may have missed some coins being chucked at their lot.

Why would a Newcastle fan smack a Stevenage player anyway? It'd make more sense for him to punch one of the sackless twats wearing blue. :lol:

Sour grapes, perhaps? Or it could have been Cajun?

Cajun was giving Interpolic a handjob next to the pie-stand by then.

:lol:

PM mate, I thought it could be a Newcastle fan because that's how it was presented to me initially, and it's hard to see properly on an Android phone.Plus, he ran away towards the Away end, so it seemed quite likely to be a case of sour grapes...

:dontknow:

He doesn't run away towards the away end though. On the extended video I posted before, he simply proceeds to run around in circles waving the scarf about and continues to mingle with celebrating fans.

Exactly. In the first footage, I thought those fans were running after him.  But in the second footage it was clear that they were all just celebrating and could not give a toss that one of their players just go decked, maybe it's all just part of the way they celebrate  :lol:

Just a brief update if anyones interested. Just seen Scott,  who said the police now believe they know who done it. And he's alright,  not even a mark on him.

Glad to hear it. So, it's just our fans' reputation which has sustained further injury then.

Just a brief update if anyones interested. Just seen Scott,  who said the police now believe they know who done it. And he's alright,  not even a mark on him.

pleased about that, could you kep us updated as to the identity of the twat as if it wasn't an nufc the press are likely to try and drop it and run away leaving things as they are. cheers.

Guest GeordieAce

The irony of it is that the Stevenage fans were chanting 'You dirty northern bastards' and then one of their fans punches their own player :lol:

Glad he's ok.

pleased about that, could you kep us updated as to the identity of the twat as if it wasn't an nufc the press are likely to try and drop it and run away leaving things as they are. cheers.

I think most major news outlets have made it well documented enough now that it wasn't a Newcastle fan.  I'd assume most papers went to print with no idea on the facts and went for an assumption.  Hopefully they'll correct/retract tomorrow.