Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

First half could of gone either way, we bossed the second half and deservedly scored then continued to dominate. Don't know where 5 mins extra time came from but Sunderland scored. I would of took a draw before the game but gutted with one now.

have

First of all I would like to thank Alan Smith for taking an injury just so we could play better. Absolutely gutted about the score though, fucking Ameobi, had a few chances to kill the game for us, one chance he had Barton and Lovenkrands to pass to and what does he do passes it behind Lovenkrands. Collocini, Enrique and Williamson were bloody immense.

Guest elbee909

Massive mistake from Harper to cost us the 3 points. He went down really slowly like a tree being felled and then palmed the ball out into the centre of the five yard box when he could have held onto it. Disappointing.

Massively harsh that.

How?

You were watching in slow-motion.

Harper 7.5 Unlucky with the goal and was solid throughout.

Enrique 8.5 Was very strong defensively and throughout the game played some good balls to the forwards. Should have passed the chance he had to the player waiting in the middle.

Coloccini 9.5 Was just that good. Won header after header and intercepted countless plays. Nearly scored a goal at the start as well.

Williamson 7.5 Looked poor for the first 1/2 hour but calmed down thanks to Colo. Lost the ball a few times throughout the match but we were never punished. Was good in the air

Simpson 7 Nothing of note but was rarely tested. Didn't contribute much going forward and did turnover the ball too much. Helped by Barton alot

Jonas 7 Decent shift. Delivery in the final third was at a low standard. Perhaps shouldn't have subbed off for Gosling...

Nolan 7.5 Scored another hugely important goal but i didn't see to much of him otherwise. Always composed when he got the ball.

Smith 6.5 Didn't get much time on the field but did mess up a few passes while on the field.

Barton 7.5 Superb ball for Ameobi's early chance. Faded after a strong start but his set pieces were very good. Strong in possession and won a few 50/50's and was solid defensively.

Ameobi 7 Messed up a superb chance early on that would have put us in a strong position. Worked hard throughout and won the header which Nolan turned home.

Best 6.5 Couldn't get a touch in the first half. Was found more often in the second.

Guthrie 7 Didn't start well but was better as the game went on. Fought well in the second getting a few important touches and for the most part contained Sunderland's midfield.

Lovenkrands and Gosling. Good to see Gosling come on but perhaps two pointless subs added the time on that gave Sunderland time to score? Hard to criticise Pards for that though

That move started because Gosling was caught like a rabbit in the headlines on the left wing.

aye, at the time i thought that was fucking stupid by him, though you can't blame him for the goal as he lost it far up the pitch. probably shows how far from genuine match fitness he is.

I would have said it was more about having a central midfielder playing as a putative left midfielder - would have preferred to see McLoven out wide, Shola up top by himself and three in the middle to close up shop. But it's easy to be an armchair coach :s

Gutting to concede an equaliser like that, but we have to be happy not losing - and taking away the emotion of the derby we went to the 6th placed team and came away with a point.

Harper - 7

Simpson - 7

Coloccini - 10

Williamson - 8

Enrique - 9

Gutierrez - 7

Nolan - 7

Smith - 5

Barton - 8

Ameobi - 8 (ranging from 6 to 10)

Best - 7

Guthrie - 7

Guest elbee909

First half could of gone either way, we bossed the second half and deservedly scored then continued to dominate. Don't know where 5 mins extra time came from but Sunderland scored. I would of took a draw before the game but gutted with one now.

have

Just ban them.  They'll learn.

Fair play to the mackems, they get a lot of late goals. Today, Arsenal off the top of my head and I remember them getting a few last season n all.

They weren't going to score unless one bounced kindly for them today mind. Jammy bastards should be ashamed for stealing that one.

Guest KeithKettleborough

Stupid substitution from Pardue again. 1-0 in front and you take off a player who can probably keep the ball and waste more time than a substitution would waste and replace him with someone who hasn't kicked a ball for us.  Did well to get the team into a winning position but stupid decision I feel cost us the win.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

That move started because Gosling was caught like a rabbit in the headlines on the left wing.

aye, at the time i thought that was f***ing stupid by him, though you can't blame him for the goal as he lost it far up the pitch. probably shows how far from genuine match fitness he is.

I would have said it was more about having a central midfielder playing as a putative left midfielder - would have preferred to see McLoven out wide, Shola up top by himself and three in the middle to close up shop. But it's easy to be an armchair coach :s

Gutting to concede an equaliser like that, but we have to be happy not losing - and taking away the emotion of the derby we went to the 6th placed team and came away with a point.

Harper - 7

Simpson - 7

Coloccini - 10

Williamson - 8

Enrique - 9

Gutierrez - 7

Nolan - 7

Smith - 5

Barton - 8

Ameobi - 8 (ranging from 6 to 10)

Best - 7

Guthrie - 7

10 and 8 to colo and williamson after they dominated in every way in the first half....

Harper 7.5 - One really good save, organised and communicated with the backline well. A little unfortunate with the goal.

Enrique 9 - Ridiclously good. Had the whole stadium in his back pocket. MOTM x 1000.

Colo 9 - Outstanding

Williamson 7.5 - Tentative opening, but immense thereafter.

Simpson 7 - Decent game, caught out of position once or twice.

Gutierrez 8 - Really good running and delivery today - even though little came of it. Crucial in keeping them on the backfoot.

Nolan 7.5 - Tactically very important, good leadership, endeavour and strength.

Smith 6.5 - Solid (and not just by his standards) but wasteful with possession at times.

Barton 8 - Strong game, always problematic for them. Got the better of Malbranque.

Ameobi 8.5 - He loves the derby games, this guy! Fantastic performance. Treat yourself to an apple, my son.

Best 6.5 - Anonymous first half, no real intent to impose himself onto the game (service or not). Improvement in the second half but didn't look very alert/alive to balls which I think Ranger might have done better with.

Subs:

Guthrie 6.5 - Had a few very shaky moments, but not entirely too shabby. Certainly an improvement on last time out for him at the very least.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Lets be honest

It could have happened at Everton

We did it against Wigan

I suppose its a bit of Kharma

Shame its against those twats though!

Harper - 7. Comfortable performance aside from the mistake in injury time.

Simpson - 7. Good game.

Williamson - 7. Started shaky but grew into it.

Coloccini - 10. One of the best CB performances i've ever seen from a Newcastle player.

Enrique - 8. Great going forward and had Gyan in his back pocket for 94 minutes.

Barton - 8. Another assist and worked tirelessly all game long.

Nolan - 7. Drifted in and out, good finish.

Smith - 3. Woeful.

(Guthrie) - 6. Thought he did okay in the second half.

Jonas - 7. Dangerous but wasteful. Ad infinitum.

Ameobi - 6. Played a huge part in the goal but thought he was a bit naff for large parts of the game.

Best - 6. Anonymous from an in-the-box perspective but won a lot of headers.