Sunderland 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 16/01/11 - post match reaction from page 41

Dave

Guest firetotheworks

Well that was a bit disappointing. Sunderland were s***, and even their goal was a mis-controlled touch. Fwiw I thought we played well, especially considering we had Carroll and Tiote out. I thought Colo and Jose in particular were excellent. I have no idea why Pardew brought Jonas off mind, at that point in the match it's a self-weakening decision. It could be that he's a poor manager. Cheap dig I know, but I just don't rate the bloke at all. 

:facepalm:

Could be that Jonas had been running for almost the whole 90 minutes and just got a hefty knock like a few minutes before that.

Hence the word 'could'

Guest KeithKettleborough

The mackems have allowed fans on to the pitch for years so not surprised at the attack on Harper. It used to happen at Roker Park and always seems to happen at the Stadium every time they (rarely) score. No doubt they will claim it was an isolated incident but something should be done about it.

2 points dropped.

but still loads of points to collect. If we stay in the PL and have our bragging rights over sunderland, then it's been a good first season in the PL.

Response from my Mackem mate on Facebook after I said they were lucky to get a draw:

'Aye any late goal has an element of luck but both teams were dogshit and it would have been harsh if Newcastle had won...especially after all the time wasting antics and kevin Nolan just being a bellend as usual. Horrible club.'

I don't know where to start with this!

Did Barnsley avoid the red card just because it was Barton he tackled? High feet, studs clearly showing, doesn't get the ball and it is late. How it wasn't even a yellow is baffling.

It was the same ref that let Barton off with one of them a few weeks ago.

The mackems have allowed fans on to the pitch for years so not surprised at the attack on Harper. It used to happen at Roker Park and always seems to happen at the Stadium every time they (rarely) score. No doubt they will claim it was an isolated incident but something should be done about it.

Yes. They should drop a b-52 payload on the entire site.

Sooo annoyed that they scored so late, lucky fucking bastards! We pissed all over them. And i think the players that we missed today are ALOT more important to us than the players they didn't have available, but still we were better than them, alot better.

Would have taken 1-1 before the game started, now it feels like a undeserved loss, but at the same time the effort from us made me proud as well so in some way it still feels like a win even if we didn't get the 3 points we very much deserved.

Collocini? Enrique? Worth special praise. LOVE THEM!! Absolutely class!

Massive mistake from Harper to cost us the 3 points. He went down really slowly like a tree being felled and then palmed the ball out into the centre of the five yard box when he could have held onto it. Disappointing.

Massively harsh that.

How?

I don't think it was a massive mistake, I think he did well to save a good shot coming through bodies, and was really unlucky where it bounced.

If it was a mistake it was by definition a massive one because it cost us the 3 points, that's not harsh that's fact.

The only argument is whether or not it was a mistake, I think it is, you don't.

The reasons I think it is are:

- Yeah, it may have come through a few bodies, but he still saw it in plenty of time, as demonstrated by how slowly he went down for it, it's not like he flung himself, he just kinda toppled.

- You'd normally expect him to hold on to a shot like that and if not you'd expect him not to push it out into the middle of the goal when there's loads of players following it in. Pushing it out was a deliberate act on his part and that was the mistake, it didn't hit him and rebound out, he deliberately pushed it out and did so into the worst possible place, a definite mistake.

If he'd have tried to hold onto it and it had got away from him fair enough, but to deliberately push it out into the middle of the goal when he was surrounded by players was an error and one that cost us dearly, I don't know what he thought it would achieve, other than what happened. If you think that was a mistake then it must have been a massive one, if you don't think it was a mistake then what was it? How he played in the rest of the match is irrelevant to whether or not he made a massive mistake right at the end. I think he did.

Harper is a clown and Krul isn't quite ready.

Did Barnsley avoid the red card just because it was Barton he tackled? High feet, studs clearly showing, doesn't get the ball and it is late. How it wasn't even a yellow is baffling.

It was the same ref that let Barton off with one of them a few weeks ago.

Barton got both the ball and a booking.

WTF?

Someone in the crowd responded by releasing a Magpie on to the pitch. The poor little black and white bird's wings had clearly, cruelly, been clipped and, panic stricken, it hopped around for some time before taking refuge just outside Steve Harper, the Newcastle goalkeeper's, area.

LT - Guardian