John Carver

Guest neesy111

At the match today

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/26/6972ef6c2f92fe2b88c007e2f0fdc860.jpg

'Stoney, how the fuck have we ended up in Sheffield after starting our session at 12pm at Ladies Day - YESTERDAY!?!'

'LOL, best sessioners in the league, man'

"I tried all the different team bonding things and I actually went to see someone myself, a psychologist, and this person was making me feel so important.

“I had never done it in my life before, never. I knew the person quite well. I went to him just after the Leicester game – probably the lowest time of my spell in charge.

“I had good people around me but I felt like I needed something different. We had a number of conversations which will not be repeated and I will never tell anybody who it was, but it put me in this positive frame of mind about how we could achieve the goal."

Sir Bobby?

She did say: ‘John, why don’t you just go and play a straight bat?’ And I said: ‘You know me better than that, I can’t because I have to tell the truth.’

I thought 'play a straight bat' meant being honest?

John Carver was waiting to board an aeroplane and take a flight away from the most bruising experience of his career when the call came from across the departure lounge. As he turned to acknowledge his name being shouted, he was met by the follow-up cry: “Best coach in the Premier League”. It was a joke at his expense – as Carver had described himself in those terms after presiding over Newcastle United’s eighth successive Premier League defeat last season.

Four points from the final three games ensured Newcastle avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth, but Carver was replaced by Steve McClaren as head coach.

Carver realises he will continue to face more jokes about his managerial ability, but he insists that there was method to some of his perceived madness.

“The best coach in the Premier League comment is something that has stuck,” Carver said in his first national newspaper interview since losing his job at Newcastle. “When I went on holiday and somebody shouted ‘Best coach in the Premier League’ I had just lost my job, but I waved and laughed. I know I’m going to get that from now on for a while and if that’s the worst stick I get, then I’ll accept it.”

Part of the context behind the quote is that Carver had decided that he needed to see a psychologist after a 3-0 defeat against Leicester City when he accused his own defender Mike Williamson of getting himself sent off.

“I had to try everything I could,” Carver said. “I brought in a motivational speaker, the guy from the Newcastle basketball team. I tried all the different team bonding things and I actually went to see someone myself, a psychologist, and this person was making me feel so important.

“I had never done it in my life before, never. I knew the person quite well. I went to him just after the Leicester game – probably the lowest time of my spell in charge.

“I had good people around me but I felt like I needed something different. We had a number of conversations which will not be repeated and I will never tell anybody who it was, but it put me in this positive frame of mind about how we could achieve the goal.

“Everybody outside Newcastle wanted us to be the big club that went down and I had to find a way of keeping a clear head. I only said I was the best coach in the Premier League to find a way for the players and myself to believe we could get over the line. If I’m asking the players to believe in themselves, then I had to show I believed in myself. If we hadn’t been in the situation we were in, I would have never said it. It helped me achieve what I wanted to do, which was to get the team over the line.”

Lee Charnley, the managing director, was the only man at Newcastle who knew Carver saw a psychologist, but the 50-year-old said that he would happily use professional help again.

“The players didn’t know. I had two or three sessions, two or three hours a time. We had a whiteboard and talked through one or two things, and made a few notes. The information I got was so valuable, if you’re a head coach or a manager, you would be mad not to use somebody like this for the club.”

However, Carver readily admits that he made a mistake over the handling of the Williamson affair. After seeing him get sent off at Leicester for a late challenge on Jamie Vardy, Carver broke every unwritten rule of football management by saying: “I thought he meant it. I don’t know why he would do it. It was just my thought, ‘He’s meant that’. I’ve told him that. I’ve said it to his face. I don’t want to go into what he said.”

Carver now says: “Do you know what? Ninety-nine per cent of managers would love to do it. It was for a reaction. I wouldn’t have done it, but I needed a reaction, I needed something to stimulate the group of players.

“I embarrassed Mike Williamson and I embarrassed myself, but I still believe I did it for the right reasons and I embarrassed him into performing the next time he played. I apologised to Mike for going public. I had to go and find him to go through it.

“I was at the football club when Ruud Gullit left Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson out of the derby game and Shearer was in at 8am to see Ruud. Duncan was in even earlier. That’s the difference.

"But Mike was fine and after the two-match suspension, he actually played well.”

Carver said that even his wife told him his honesty would be a problem in his job as Newcastle manager when he took over from Alan Pardew. “She did say: ‘John, why don’t you just go and play a straight bat?’ And I said: ‘You know me better than that, I can’t because I have to tell the truth.’ As a manager, you are damned if you do and damned if you don’t. If you give a load of spin then people don’t believe you and if you’re honest, you get battered for it.

“I’ve seen a lot of things at Newcastle and one of the biggest things is the fans have always demanded honesty from the manager. If the manager doesn’t speak in an honest and open way, they slaughter him and that was in my head.

“Next time it happens it will hurt me but I will keep quiet with a heavy heart. When you’ve had a battering like I’ve had and if I’m going to be successful, then I have to adapt.”

Carver is highly rated among the coaching fraternity in England. He was Sir Bobby Robson’s trusted right-hand man, which is how he developed a good relationship with Jose Mourinho, and enjoyed a successful period as manager of FC  Toronto before having to return to the UK because of illness in his family. However, despite building over 15 years’ experience of top-level coaching, Carver knows that the past six months will provide the biggest hurdle in trying to secure his next job.

“It’s amazing how quickly your reputation can be tarnished,” he says. “The biggest thing is me being able to get in a room with an owner or a chairman and convince them I am the right person for the job by showing them what my preparation is, how I work with the players, what I’m about, what my personality is all about and for them to find out a bit more about be as the person, rather than the perception.

“If I didn’t have any confidence in what I was trying to do, then I would probably settle for being a coach or in the background. But I do. I do have the confidence. I don’t want to take the easy way out and be somebody’s assistant unless I have to. I want to get into a football club and build a football club.

“I’ve got a point to prove, to myself and to the fans of Newcastle. Not all of them because the majority have been very, very good, but to the people who were critical. I’m a winner, I’m not a quitter. Why can’t, in the future, I go away, be successful and return to Newcastle as manager under different circumstances? I’ve been back to the football club a few times and it would be a great story to do so again.”

Why can’t, in the future, I go away, be successful and return to Newcastle as manager under different circumstances? I’ve been back to the football club a few times and it would be a great story to do so again.”

http://i.imgur.com/zaHnR0d.gif

Let's face it, he was never up to it. The really sad thing is, most of us knew that, yet the people running the club obviously thought otherwise. Quite frankly an outstandingly stupid decision to give him the job.

Why can’t, in the future, I go away, be successful and return to Newcastle as manager under different circumstances? I’ve been back to the football club a few times and it would be a great story to do so again.”

http://i.imgur.com/zaHnR0d.gif

Outstanding giffage there  :coolsmiley: