Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Ranger can go and f*** himself.

???

For what exactly?

for being a glory hunting c*** looking for his first goal, when Lovenkrands is stood alone in the 6yd box. A tap across and its 2-0. You could see half our team point straight towards Lovenkrands before he tried to score from behind the goal line.

The one where he took it around Dawson? Come off it man, he's entitled to go for goal when he's made himself an opening like that.

aye but if he had half a brain we would have 3pts.

No, we wouldn't. Loven had stopped his run and there was a Spurs defender inbetween them ahead of Loven. Much greater chance it'd have been cleared than if he went for glory.

Wrong - I saw the replay at least 3 times and the player on the far post - Lovenkrands - WAS unmarked when Ranger got round Dawson ; if the ball had been squared, he couldn't fail to score - oh wait, it WAS Lovenkrands...!!

Been traveling for the past 28 hours, so saw this first now. First impression is that it was a good result, untill I saw how it happend. Still, a point of Tottenham in their current form is pretty good.

Only positive thing about this is that the lads will probably be even more determined to prevent this from happening again, should a similar scenario present it self again for quite some time.

Been traveling for the past 28 hours, so saw this first now. First impression is that it was a good result, untill I saw how it happend. Still, a point of Tottenham in their current form is pretty good.

Only positive thing about this is that the lads will probably be even more determined to prevent this from happening again, should a similar scenario present it self again for quite some time.

I hope you're right, and that the players won't be shitting bricks instead the next time we are leading by one goal in injury time...these things can go both ways, make them more determine to put things right or make them nervous should the same scenario presents itself, vicious cycle that can make players lose confidence. This is an area that Pardew must address, good to see that he recognize that the reason why we conceded against Spurs is different compared to the Mackems, but that's the easy part. If this keeps on happening, then it is a big minus against Pardew.

Im not normally a pessimist, but this could go either way. Next time we are in the lead, doubts could start creeping in as we try even more desperately to keep it. The dilemma is, what do you do? Go all out and try to get a 2nd? or shut up shop and park the bus (cliche-tastic  :bluestar:). Obviously it depends on who the opponents are, how long is left, and the actual match conditions (are we playing home or away, did we sneak a goal against the run of play, are we walking all over them but can't finish) etc...

Guest Ridzuan

Before the game, I would be happy with a draw but once again, we have conceded in the final mins of the match. Think we had a lot of opportunities to score another goal and seal the 3 points but we were missing the quality. Ranger should have square the ball to Barton instead of trying to score and Barton should have just hold the ball longer or pass it to someone closer to him which ultimately led to the counter attack from which Lennon scored. Simpson should have done better with that. One thing that I think Simpson should be doing is to not be afraid to close down on the opposition instead of just watching the ball and backing off, which only invites a scoring opportunity for the other side. He needs to get this drill in his head.

On another note, I thought that Barton and Nolan looked really tired. But Collocini was outstanding yesterday. Pity we couldnt get the win for the birthday boy though.

Im not normally a pessimist, but this could go either way. Next time we are in the lead, doubts could start creeping in as we try even more desperately to keep it. The dilemma is, what do you do? Go all out and try to get a 2nd? or shut up shop and park the bus (cliche-tastic  :bluestar:). Obviously it depends on who the opponents are, how long is left, and the actual match conditions (are we playing home or away, did we sneak a goal against the run of play, are we walking all over them but can't finish) etc...

Very mildly interesting that we've had 2 game-changing goals scored against us in injury time and scored 0 ourselves in his 8 games, whereas the previous 19 games saw us score 2 and concede 0.

I think Simpson got his body position slightly wrong, but only slightly. He was trying to show him down the outside, but perhaps could have got closer and positioned himself further to Lennon's right foot.

The bigger picture is that we were left with a 2 on 2 at the edge of our area, during stoppage time.

Guest Ridzuan

I think Simpson got his body position slightly wrong, but only slightly. He was trying to show him down the outside, but perhaps could have got closer and positioned himself further to Lennon's right foot.

The bigger picture is that we were left with a 2 on 2 at the edge of our area, during stoppage time.

The thing with Simpson is that he does it almost in every game. Needs to get closer to the opposition instead of just backing off and wishing things would go his way.

Eh? By virtually turning his back on him?

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/1424/failjy.jpg

Look at the lines between the posts and Lenon, Simpson is to the right of them.

I think what Keefaz is trying to say is the actual positioning of Simpson's body, opposed to his positioning in regards to Lennon.

I wouldn't blame Danny for the goal as Willi could have blocked Lennon easier but it took seconds for him to react! But all this could have been stopped just by sitting back and wait for the clock to run down. First question here should be that where was the midfield? They all went way too far forward thinking of killing the match from one of the counters but totally forgot their first priority job in the situation which should have been to cover the defence...

No Tiote in the team two weeks in a row and there's two late goals for the opposition.

It's obviously just opinion, but I doubt very much that we would have dropped 2 points today or last week if Tiote was on the pitch.

Guest johnson293

What we need is someone like Shearer on the pitch again, who knows that at 1 goal up, into injury time, you get it into one of their corners, and just keep it there!

Last two games, we've suffered from not holding onto the ball at the death. We dont always need the to go gung-ho for the 2nd goal... just dont give it to the other team!

Last two games, we've suffered from not holding onto the ball at the death. We dont always need the to go gung-ho for the 2nd goal... just dont give it to the other team!

Lad behind me kept saying "that'll do, that'll do" every 3 seconds when we hoofed the ball out only for it to go to one of their players. Well no, it won't fucking do will it because we're constantly giving the ball away. Pissed me right off.

Lad behind me kept saying "that'll do, that'll do" every 3 seconds when we hoofed the ball out only for it to go to one of their players. Well no, it won't f***ing do will it because we're constantly giving the ball away. Pissed me right off.

aye - you'd think SOMEONE would remember Shearer's fantastic ability to take the ball into the corner and waste hours wouldn't you??

Regardless of Simpson's body position and that he didn't try to keep Lennon on his left foot, he still left the massive space for Lennon in the first place.

When you're two on two in a situation like that, if both go to the player with the ball you're asking for trouble. I blame Simpson because he ran towards Defoe and left Lennon with an acre of space to run in to before he even turned the defenders in the box.

What we need is someone like Shearer on the pitch again, who knows that at 1 goal up, into injury time, you get it into one of their corners, and just keep it there!

There was a particular incident on the right hand side with Lovenkrands where everyone around me was screaming for him to run it down the wing and into the corner. He spent the entire time with his back to the corner before passing it to another player and putting them under ridiculous pressure.

Lad behind me kept saying "that'll do, that'll do" every 3 seconds when we hoofed the ball out only for it to go to one of their players. Well no, it won't f***ing do will it because we're constantly giving the ball away. Pissed me right off.

aye - you'd think SOMEONE would remember Shearer's fantastic ability to take the ball into the corner and waste hours wouldn't you??

Lineker said on MOTD last night that Shearer went mad with the late equaliser and I thought Shearer was probably thinking that wouldn't have happened if he had been on the pitch.

Quite a few players for both teams slumped to the ground at the end of the match so were clearly exhausted.  The squad are off to Portugal for a few days and I think the free Saturdays coming up with not being in the Cup are going to be needed to give the players a rest.

Absolutely right - I was tearing my hair out at the number of times the ball was needlessly given away when we should have been trying to keep it and make them chase it. Problem is that we have nobody up front who can win and keep the ball when Carroll is out.

Guest Loven11

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5170/5378581259_757c41d5c2_z.jpg

Colo's face and Shola looking giddy trying to get a touch of his hair.  :lol: :aww:

Colo & Jose  :smitten: - fecking mint.

Aye. Definite mistake by Simpson. Clearly been discussed that they should put Lennon wide and on his wrong foot.

Ah he's young. He'll learn.

Will he though?  It cost us a couple of goals last season that I remember pretty clearly, so he doesn't appear to be learning quickly enough for my liking.

Seems to struggle against the right footed left winger opposed to the more traditional ones for some reason. Even more odd as you would assume most of his training would be done against Jonas.

As if Jonas cuts in and shoots in training :lol: