Newcastle United 1 - 1 Tottenham - 22/01/11 - post match reaction from p22

Dave

Must say it was an absolute slobberknocker of a match.

Went into it thinking we were going to beaten like the proverbial government mule but for most of the match we had Spurs running like scolded dogs.

:lol:

I'm sorry but Barton was not rubbish in the centre in the second half. His pressing won us the ball a lot of the time and he had some fantastic link up play and passing to setup the team going forward, also got into some great positions to have a strike on goal.

Lost the ball sometimes, and also didn't finsh well, and obviously that last pass was diabolical, but he was likely knackered from the shift he put in. Great performance from him.

Have already explained:

1) quality and speed of the opponents

2) he's been out wide for a few weeks and it's a difficult transition to make

Definitely needs to stay out wide and we definitely need to sign another CM for the rest of the season.  AND a forward, AND a winger.  Then let's push to retain 7th.

We definitely looked like we need the 11 day break before an important game at Fulham.

Definitely need signings. Perch in midfield FFS.

I agree with your point, but i actually thought Perch but a decent shift in when he came on. Disappointing that Guthrie had to go off though, i thought he was playing well in the second half.

There was no real poor performances in that game tbh. I thought Nolan was disappointing and, obviously, Shola and Best didn't do enough. But aside from that it was a decent performance. Barton is - so obviously - made for the right and today pretty much proved it.

As much as it hurts to drop these points in the last dew minutes of a game, If someone had said to me at the beginning of January "Would you take 5 points from Wigan, Sunderland and Spurs" I would have taken it for sure. AT best I was expecting 3..........

Thats true. Its just two last minute equalisers on the bounce is infuriating.

Guest firetotheworks

Harper - 7

Enrique- 8

Coloccini - 9

Williamson - 7

Simpson - 7

Barton - 6.5

Guthrie - 6

Nolan - 6

Jonas - 9

Ameobi - 4

Best - 6

Lovenkrands - 5

Ranger - 6

Ranger can go and fuck himself.

???

For what exactly?

for being a glory hunting cunt looking for his first goal, when Lovenkrands is stood alone in the 6yd box. A tap across and its 2-0. You could see half our team point straight towards Lovenkrands before he tried to score from behind the goal line.

The one where he took it around Dawson? Come off it man, he's entitled to go for goal when he's made himself an opening like that.

aye but if he had half a brain we would have 3pts.

If Shola had a half a brain we would have 3pts. If Shola could finish we'd have 3pts. If Lovenkrands could finish we'd have 3pts. If Barton didn't completely lose it in the last 20mins we'd have 3pts.

I guess it's easier to pick on the 19 year old with the stupid tattoo though.

???

For what exactly?

for being a glory hunting cunt looking for his first goal, when Lovenkrands is stood alone in the 6yd box. A tap across and its 2-0. You could see half our team point straight towards Lovenkrands before he tried to score from behind the goal line.

The one where he took it around Dawson? Come off it man, he's entitled to go for goal when he's made himself an opening like that.

No, we wouldn't. Loven had stopped his run and there was a Spurs defender inbetween them ahead of Loven. Much greater chance it'd have been cleared than if he went for glory.

Harper - 7

Enrique- 8

Coloccini - 9

Williamson - 7

Simpson - 7

Barton - 6.5

Guthrie - 6

Nolan - 6

Jonas - 9

Ameobi - 4

Best - 6

Lovenkrands - 5

Ranger - 6

Fair although I'd probably swap Nolan and Ameobi's ratings. Didn't even realise Nolan was playing.

I'm sorry but Barton was not rubbish in the centre in the second half. His pressing won us the ball a lot of the time and he had some fantastic link up play and passing to setup the team going forward, also got into some great positions to have a strike on goal.

Lost the ball sometimes, and also didn't finsh well, and obviously that last pass was diabolical, but he was likely knackered from the shift he put in. Great performance from him.

:thup:

Definitely agree w/ whoever said the break will be important.  Pretty much everyone looked shattered out there from 80 minutes on, including Lovenkrands somehow.  Spurs' fitness is incredible. 

Probably because they have options to change things.

If Ranger had passed it, it'd have been blocked and we'd be criticising him for not shooting. He did shoot, and whilst it was a big chance, it was difficult to put away. It does, however, add to the catalogue of missed opportunities over the last two games that highlights our need for another striker/Carroll's return.

???

For what exactly?

If Shola had a half a brain we would have 3pts. If Shola could finish we'd have 3pts. If Lovenkrands could finish we'd have 3pts. If Barton didn't completely lose it in the last 20mins we'd have 3pts.

I guess it's easier to pick on the 19 year old with the stupid tattoo though.

Yep, you're right that summed us up. Not gonna go down, not gonna finish above the mackems. Ranger, Loven, Shola all not good enough, but we knew that at start of season.

Ranger had a hat-trick in the ressies the other night. How that doesn't put him ahead of Lovenkrands is a mystery.

Only reason i can see Pardew chose Lovenkrands over Ranger is because he used Lovenkrands as a winger.

Guest firetotheworks

Ranger had a hat-trick in the ressies the other night. How that doesn't put him ahead of Lovenkrands is a mystery.

Probably because Lovelycakes has actually scored at this level. If he hadn't been selfish, he would have had another. It's a tough call.