Worst England team in my living memory

HawK

I know he'll still get picked but Gerrard looks a million miles away from an international midfielder. Change his name and shirt and no-one would put him in an England XI.

Exactly, copy+paste that for another 4-5 of our 'starters' and it's the tip of the iceberg.

Have to agree with this - the performance in SA last summer was possibly the worst I have seen in a World Cup - I was too young to remember the defeat by the USA in 1950..

The best side in recent years was SBRs 1990 team....and that is nearly 21 years ago although probably the best performance in that time was beating the Germans 5-1 away in 2001.

The 1990 side had the likes of Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, Bryan Robson, Shilton and Lineker - all of whom were streets better than their modern equivalents ; the 1970 team that defended the WC in Mexico were very unfortunate - man for man, perhaps better than the 66 side that won it. Terry Cooper, the Leeds full back was at least as good at overlapping as Ashley Cole today, and the 70 side had to play their most crucial group game against Brazil in Guadalajara at mid-day when temps were in the low 40s. Brazil were without doubt the best team I have seen but England only lost 0-1 and should have equalized through Jeff Astle near the end. Bobby Moore was out of this world in that game and the side kept possession far better than the current one. The loss to the Germans in the QF should never have happened, and probably wouldn't have done if Ramsey had left Bobby Charlton on the field ; when he came off, Beckenbauer was able to come forward and it changed the game. Banks was suspected of being food-poisoned  as he suddenly fell ill just before the game, and I doubt he would have conceded at least 2 of the goals.

Don't think modern players care about the National side and many of them lack talent. They get their money too easily and there are other social factors ; even Brazil are not producing the players they used to and they have a pop of 160m.....

Totally agree. Hated the last couple of World Cups as an Englishman but can find enjoyment in the failure of a lot of the players in the 'team'. Absolutely gutless, I loathe them. There needs to be a massive overall of the contents of the squad. An England team should be more than the sum of it's parts, not less.

Hart (though I'm still thoroughly unconvinced by him)

Richards  Ferdinand  Terry  Cole

Wilshere  Gerrard

Walcott          Rooney        A Johnson

Carroll

I've seen far worse England teams than this one,Revie picked worse and so did SBR early in his tenure,with no marks like Steve Foster,John Gregory and Steve Hunt being selected.Taylor's team had some shite too,Thomas,Palmer, Sinton and Andy Gray.This current team should really be about rebuilding and Rooney and Ashley Cole are the only ones from the old guard who should be playing.

Have to agree with this - the performance in SA last summer was possibly the worst I have seen in a World Cup - I was too young to remember the defeat by the USA in 1950..

The best side in recent years was SBRs 1990 team....and that is nearly 21 years ago although probably the best performance in that time was beating the Germans 5-1 away in 2001.

The 1990 side had the likes of Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, Bryan Robson, Shilton and Lineker - all of whom were streets better than their modern equivalents ; the 1970 team that defended the WC in Mexico were very unfortunate - man for man, perhaps better than the 66 side that won it. Terry Cooper, the Leeds full back was at least as good at overlapping as Ashley Cole today, and the 70 side had to play their most crucial group game against Brazil in Guadalajara at mid-day when temps were in the low 40s. Brazil were without doubt the best team I have seen but England only lost 0-1 and should have equalized through Jeff Astle near the end. Bobby Moore was out of this world in that game and the side kept possession far better than the current one. The loss to the Germans in the QF should never have happened, and probably wouldn't have done if Ramsey had left Bobby Charlton on the field ; when he came off, Beckenbauer was able to come forward and it changed the game. Banks was suspected of being food-poisoned  as he suddenly fell ill just before the game, and I doubt he would have conceded at least 2 of the goals.

Don't think modern players care about the National side and many of them lack talent. They get their money too easily and there are other social factors ; even Brazil are not producing the players they used to and they have a pop of 160m.....

:clap:

Gareth Barry has been shit for everyone since leaving Villa,he more than anyone make a mockery of Capello's selection on form policy.

That said,you must have shit in your eyes as Barry is nowhere near the worst,I mean Thomas,Palmer,P.Neville,Sinton,SWP,Henderson,Ricketts.

Guest Stephen927

Barry started off well at international level, but he's been poor since his last season at Villa. I'd give Huddlestone his spot, much more of a presence than Barry.

James - Finished YEARS ago

Johnson - Terrible, dreadful player

Terry - On his way out, half the player he was

Carragher - NOBODY rates him outside of Merseyside for good reason

Cole - Arsehole, probably terrible for team morale, but good player

Gerrard - Used to be a world class player.  Inconsistent for club, consistently anonymous for England

Barry - Makeweight

Lampard - Finished playing a while ago

Lennon - Solid PL standard player.

Rooney - League 1 standard.  Nothing more than hype.

Heskey - WTF?!

This was the shower of shite who embarrassed us in SA.  EASILY the worst England team and performance in my memory (I'm 27).

Team that I would pick:

Hart

Richards

Lescott

Terry (The lack of English CBs is shocking!)

Cole

Milner

Barton

A. Johnson

Lennon

Carroll

Bent

Not ideal, but would have done a damn sight better than the gutless wankers who allegedly represent England.

I still think the current team has a good tournament left in them. The last World Cup was a disaster, for various reasons, but we do have real quality in Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, and Rooney.

We've had real problems at keeper (which may be sorted with Hart) and at target man (which may be sorted with Carroll)

James - Finished YEARS ago

Johnson - Terrible, dreadful player

Terry - On his way out, half the player he was

Carragher - NOBODY rates him outside of Merseyside for good reason

Cole - Arsehole, probably terrible for team morale, but good player

Gerrard - Used to be a world class player.  Inconsistent for club, consistently anonymous for England

Barry - Makeweight

Lampard - Finished playing a while ago

Lennon - Solid PL standard player.

Rooney - League 1 standard.  Nothing more than hype.

Heskey - WTF?!

This was the shower of shite who embarrassed us in SA.  EASILY the worst England team and performance in my memory (I'm 27).

Team that I would pick:

Hart

Richards

Lescott

Terry (The lack of English CBs is shocking!)

Cole

Milner

Barton

A. Johnson

Lennon

Carroll

Bent

Not ideal, but would have done a damn sight better than the gutless wankers who allegedly represent England.

Jesus H. fucking Christ.

From now on I'd go with:

Hart

Richards Ferdinand Cahill  Cole

Lennon Wilshere  Gerrard  Johnson

Rooney  Carroll

Foster & Loach

G.Johnson, Jagielka, Baines, Shawcross, Gibbs, Smalling,

Young, Milner, Rodwell, Albrighton, Huddlestone

Bent, Defoe, Walcott, Wellbeck

Ferdinand and Cole are the only 30+ players worth sticking with IMO. We've got a fairly easy group so use it to blood the new younger players, same with friendlies.

How fickle are football fans?  :lol:

After the WC qualifiers everyone was like "UNBEATABLE, WE´LL WIN WORLD CUP. BEST TEAM SINCE 66 AND THE BEXT STRIKER IN THE WORLD WAYNE ROOOONEEEEYYYYYYYYY"

Then after you got schooled by the Nazis England is absolutely shit and the worst team in living memory.

How fickle are football fans?  :lol:

After the WC qualifiers everyone was like "UNBEATABLE, WE´LL WIN WORLD CUP. BEST TEAM SINCE 66 AND THE BEXT STRIKER IN THE WORLD WAYNE ROOOONEEEEYYYYYYYYY"

Then after you got schooled by the Nazis England is absolutely s***.

They weren't like.