Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think his main issue at Villa was that O'Neill signed him an then Houllier came in who had a problem with him. Similar to when Guivarch signed for us, Gullit made it very clear that he didn't rate him and his form and confidence were awful whenever he played.

Did O'Neill sign him? They had that Scottish bloke in charge for the first game of the season and they still had Milner at the time.

I think his main issue at Villa was that O'Neill signed him an then Houllier came in who had a problem with him. Similar to when Guivarch signed for us, Gullit made it very clear that he didn't rate him and his form and confidence were awful whenever he played.

I think O'Neill had already gone when Ireland was signed, apparently he felt he got pushed into going to Villa when Milner went to City and he never really wanted to be there.

Guest neesy111

O'Neill quit even before the Milner / Ireland transfers happened IIRC, the transfer was done by the board but IMO he left City as he knew Villa was the only team interested in him and was used a pawn in the Milner deal.

Guivarch was just a terrible player in fairness to Gullit. :lol:

Never really quite grasped why there was so much hostility to him last season.

Totally agree, he had a set back a couple of weeks after he came, the fee is good so I imagine the club will be ok with the wages. Wouldn't mind this at all, he has a bellamy aura about him, prodigious talent but complete prick.

£2M in for Guthrie and then £2M spent on Ireland would me canny business. Would need rid of Smith to balance the wages though...

like for like barton, guaranteed - fee will be similar wherever barton goes and the wages will balance-ish

perfect in mikes world, and if ireland remembers he's a footballer then mightn't be the worst deal in history

people should forget about getting smith off the books man, if it happens we'll all treat it like a lottery win - til then no point in checking the numbers as the odds are so shit

I'd say this would be more Nolan's replacement than Cabaye.

I'm getting obsessed with what formation we're playing next season because I'm genuinely excited to see a bit of innovation on the pitch! So where does Ireland fit into all this??!

He'd suit an advanced position in the new 4-3-3 formation we seem to be going for. Absolutely made for it.

Whether he's completely lost what little pace he had is the question mark.

He'd suit an advanced position in the new 4-3-3 formation we seem to be going for. Absolutely made for it.

Whether he's completely lost what little pace he had is the question mark.

My major concern as well. Not sure how he'd fit in to our supposed new fast raiding style. No doubt about his ability otherwise though.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I do see how he would fit in as part of the three, but we could do better. Really don't think Ireland's worth it.

Wouldn't be against this, for a reasonable price. Guessing he'll replace Nolan and it shouldn't interfere with any winger/striker signings, so may as well go for it. If he's going to get back to how he used to be, this is where he'll do it.

A senior United source said: “Nothing is imminent with Stephen, but it is not one to write off just yet.

“He might not have played but he was unlucky with injuries and his attitude and work-rate while he was here were absolutely first class.

“He was finished at Villa under Gerard Houllier but a new manager might change things for him.

“He would like to come back but it depends on Villa now.

“I think Stephen is one that we’ll keep an eye on with a view to maybe ‘nicking him’ at the end of the window.”

When we magically fail to get the likes of Matuidi and Sissoko. O0

A senior United source said: “Nothing is imminent with Stephen, but it is not one to write off just yet.

“He might not have played but he was unlucky with injuries and his attitude and work-rate while he was here were absolutely first class.

“He was finished at Villa under Gerard Houllier but a new manager might change things for him.

“He would like to come back but it depends on Villa now.

“I think Stephen is one that we’ll keep an eye on with a view to maybe ‘nicking him’ at the end of the window.”

When we magically fail to get the likes of Matuidi and Sissoko. O0

'Nicking him' someones got to want him for us to fucking nick him.

If we got Ireland for the same price we sold Guthrie for it would be a good deal, obviously his wages would be a lot higher but his potential ability is FAR better than Guthries.

I had a real problem with Guthrie earlier on in the season, I think he is a decent player now, especially on the wage he currently earns but he will never progress to more than average so to take a gamble and practically swap him for a potential brilliant player who has shown that ability over a season, that seems a worthwhile gamble imo.