Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

There have been no news on his comeback date (afaik) and if he was indeed signed without passing his medical.. not too encouraging. Couple that with his disastrous form this season and it's hard to be optimistic on this deal.

Any words/hellos from Ireland yet?

I think people are being far too harsh on the lad.

If he can get his head sorted we'll have a cracking player on our hands.

Absolutely agree. But if he finds his form, he will be pretty expensive because we didn't manage to negotiate a clause enabling us to buy him at the end of the period at a fixed sum..

Did we not?

I must say even for this board that is mental.

Have read a couple of articles and nobody has mentioned a buyout clause. We're injury plagued so we need him regardless, but I hope of course that we have reached such an agreement..However, I have found no information about it. Anybody else who knows?

Did we not?

Have read a couple of articles and nobody has mentioned a buyout clause. We're injury plagued so we need him regardless, but I hope of course that we have reached such an agreement..However, I have found no information about it. Anybody else who knows?

It's not normal at all, the Ben Arfa deal was unusually good.

That said, Ireland would probably be available for a decent price as they're probably desperate to get rid of him.

This myth that injured players can't complete medicals needs to be quashed.

Yeah, what a medical will look for is if the injury is healing well and make sure there won't be long term consequences on the player's fitness.

FM has done a lot of damage in this area.

Did we not?

It's not normal at all, the Ben Arfa deal was unusually good.

That said, Ireland would probably be available for a decent price as they're probably desperate to get rid of him.

Honestly, I don't think your board contemplates signing Ireland long term. He is on stupid wages (70k a week I have seen brummie say), and he won't give them up, less so if he has a successful campaign with you.

Did we not?

Are you sure? If Ireland rediscovers his form, they have a very good midfielder. Why would Villa then sell him to us, unless they are handsomely rewarded?

I guess he might cost a bit if he does really well, but that might be tempered a bit by the fact he seems to hate it at Villa and probably never wants to play for them again.

Another club could come in and snap him up of course.

Anyway, he hasn't kicked a ball yet so I have no idea!

Guest toonlass

This myth that injured players can't complete medicals needs to be quashed.

People spout that nonsense every time there is a transfer of a player currently injured.

I always thought a medical was more about general health anyway and like someone else said, previous injuries responding normally through the healing process.

It's a simple no loss gamble (?) that we get a player till the end of the season, if he likes us and we like him, he has the power to hand in a transfer request and drop his wages. If he still thinks he can make it at Villa or match his current wages elsewhere, then fair enough - See ya.

Can't see a problem, hope he helps us stay up. :thup:

Is a medical even actually required? I remember a few cases where clubs have rushed through deadline day transactions without medicals. I think it is just a precaution. Even this summer, Marseille did not find out about Remy's heart condition until he had already signed. That would lead me to believe that they did not do a comprehensive medical before the transfer.

Is a medical even actually required? I remember a few cases where clubs have rushed through deadline day transactions without medicals. I think it is just a precaution. Even this summer, Marseille did not find out about Remy's heart condition until he had already signed. That would lead me to believe that they did not do a comprehensive medical before the transfer.

I would imagine it's needed for insurance purposes e.g: if you don't do one the fella is not insured.

Just a shame we've only got Shola on a fire and theft policy otherwise we could've claimed. Unless someone's handy with matches/enjoys a bit of kidnapping?

At least in Spain they are mandatory. A transfer can't go through without the approval of a medical team, but as you say those can be rushed or not very strict.