SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

I don't think we should push the boat out to sign Zoggy, now that we've got Ben Arfa and Marveaux on board.

Even £9m is over the odds for a player of his ability in the last year of his contract.

Do you think £9m is over the odds for a player of his abilty? If you don't think it is an inflated price for his ability then the point about his contract becomes moot.

Could we attract anyone a) better or b) if yes, cheaper?

I think the answer to both is no, so it's a no-brainer that we should pay whatever it takes (upto a certain limit of course but I think the limit is within our reach).

Agreed. If we say no to N'Zogbia because he's in the last year of his contract and we want him for cheaper, but then sign someone else for £9m, what was the point?

With Barton, Jonas, HBA and Marveaux i'm not sure we really need him, mind you. would prefer us going for an attacking midfielder who is more comfortable playing centrally.

I don't think we should push the boat out to sign Zoggy, now that we've got Ben Arfa and Marveaux on board.

Even £9m is over the odds for a player of his ability in the last year of his contract.

I disagree, I think N'Zogbia and Sturridge should both be players that we're going all out for and would both enhance our starting 11. Our movement on and off the ball would be potentially frightening.

is the right answer :thup:

We should be doing everything to get both.

Do you think £9m is over the odds for a player of his abilty? If you don't think it is an inflated price for his ability then the point about his contract becomes moot.

I think the answer to both is no, so it's a no-brainer that we should pay whatever it takes (upto a certain limit of course but I think the limit is within our reach).

Well there are two issues. Given that we now have two players who would fill a similar role to Zoggy, wouldn't £9 million be better spent on another area of the side?

The other one is the assessment of his ability. I guess I don't rate him as high as some others do.

Precisely, I'm all for a bit of frugality but at £9m we're effectively talking about a buy-back clause of £3m!

Having said that, as much I'd love zog here (never wanted him to leave), I'd rather the money got put to a number 9.

Precisely, I'm all for a bit of frugality but at £9m we're effectively talking about a buy-back clause of £3m!

Having said that, as much I'd love zog here (never wanted him to leave), I'd rather the money got put to a number 9.

Seems very fair when you look at it that way. He's a better player than when he left here.

I think, with a degree of certainty, that we are in the market for a right sided midfielder. Be that Zog, Barnetta or some other. Barton is surplus to requirements, they want him gone one way or another.

Not necessarilly a position I agree with but I do see their reasoning to a degree. Barton was immense in many of the games we played, more so than Nolan in my opinion.. but of all the players that could drop a wrench in the works you have to have Barton near the top of the list, even if he didn't meant to.

Guest BooBoo

Villa have agreed to sell Ashley Young to Man U for £16million. Wonder if they'll enter the race for Zog with serious intent now?

I think they will, especially as McLeish is clearly a fan.

Villa have agreed to sell Ashley Young to Man U for £16million. Wonder if they'll enter the race for Zog with serious intent now?

Glad they've agreed to it because it went through this morning.

Well at least they've come to terms with this substantial body blow.

theres an article in FFT about how pace has become integral to football and that many managers think pace is equally important to ability. if we can get n'zogbia we will have both in abundance and it'll be frightening!

I wouldn't be surprised if he's agreed to come already and we're just trying to screw the price down.

I get that feeling as well tbh.

aye this, and if that's the case fair enough i reckon wait it out and move onto the next target while wigan start to twitch

And why he called him "insomnia" ?

Loved the chant someone on here made for him during that 'incident'.

He whinges on the left

He whinges on the right

That boy Insomnia

He stays up all night

I think it's worth paying that bit extra to beat the competition and bring him in early in the window. There is a risk of us losing out on him, whether other clubs offer better terms or a big club misses its target and goes in for him. So far we've signed two foreigners with no Premier League experience, and two players with a very suspect injury record. We could really do with a proven Premier League player coming in espescially as we've lost Nolan and could lose Barton and Enrique. For the money, it's good value and he'd walk into the first team. You know what you're getting with N'Zogbia and it's a very good, proven player at a good age.

However, with Gutierrez and Marveaux in the squad, and Ferguson as backup, will the club want to pay full wages to three wingers who all want first team football? Ben Arfa has supposedly been lined up for a number 10 role behind the striker, so that's filled too. We all know we need a squad, but cost-cutting has been the name of the game since Ashley came in. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley looked at the squad, the cost and wages of Zog and went for a cheaper deal.

personally i reckon ferguson will be the reason jonas/barton might be on the way out

if we got zog then we'd have marveaux, zog, HBA, ferguson and one of barton/jonas all able to play the wide positions...the more i think about it i'd say one of them will leave assuming we can land zog

or as someone else said we'll ship one of them first then bring in zog

i just think they've seen something (as have most people here tbf) that there's enough in ferguson that he can make the step up quickly and with assurance

in mike's world that's more than likely a justification for shipping one of the higher earning/older players to trim the squad numbers and reduce the wage bill

i think it's why the jonas rumours have surfaced

I think it's worth paying that bit extra to beat the competition and bring him in early in the window. There is a risk of us losing out on him, whether other clubs offer better terms or a big club misses its target and goes in for him. So far we've signed two foreigners with no Premier League experience, and two players with a very suspect injury record. We could really do with a proven Premier League player coming in espescially as we've lost Nolan and could lose Barton and Enrique. For the money, it's good value and he'd walk into the first team. You know what you're getting with N'Zogbia and it's a very good, proven player at a good age.

However, with Gutierrez and Marveaux in the squad, and Ferguson as backup, will the club want to pay full wages to three wingers who all want first team football? Ben Arfa has supposedly been lined up for a number 10 role behind the striker, so that's filled too. We all know we need a squad, but cost-cutting has been the name of the game since Ashley came in. I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley looked at the squad, the cost and wages of Zog and went for a cheaper deal.

It's easy for us to say "ffs man just pay the extra 2m and get him signed up!"

I assume (and hope that) it's harder for the people who actually have to sign off on that sort of money to make those decisions

N'Zogbia would be a massive upgrade on Barton, probably like for like in wages too.

Well the new Barton we have seen this year is a hell of a player too. Shows great leadership too. Something Zog never ever will do. I really want to keep Barton tbh. And get Zoggy in aswell..

It's easy for us to say "ffs man just pay the extra 2m and get him signed up!"

I assume (and hope that) it's harder for the people who actually have to sign off on that sort of money to make those decisions

I'm sure it is, but I'm just looking at his history of brinkmanship to get the best financial deal, regardless of what is best for the manager and team. If say we stall all summer trying to make them sweat to save 1 or 2M in August, we do run the risk of ending up scraping around for whoever we can get in late August.

It always amazes me just pay the extra wedge? We are talking about £2million as if its peanuts. FFS sake in the company I work for I don't like paying £10 more than I have to for something. Just because we got money doesn't mean we should piss it away.

It always amazes me just pay the extra wedge? We are talking about £2million as if its peanuts. FFS sake in the company I work for I don't like paying £10 more than I have to for something. Just because we got money doesn't mean we should p*ss it away.

We have £35 million to spend (not all in one go) and Pardew said it would be reinvested and players coming in to get bums off seats ,Zog is not pissing money away and if he does come in it will mean Guitterez leaving imho .