SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

That tweet from Douglas could mean to chalk him off as in rule him out? Weren't they linked with demba ba too?

That's how I interpreted it too.

Could mean anything. Crouch may have said no again. If it were chalk him off as in got him I'm sure we'd have heard something more concrete now as opposed to him recommending Newcastle to play for( not that means anything in the grand scheme of things).

Ditto. Either that, or we are clutching at straws. Haha.

I've always taken chalking something off to mean it's ruled out. Would be very surprised if it's to say they've signed someone. Could well be Crouch, sure I've seen something in one of the national papers about him turning them down.

It'll be a disgrace if we miss out on him to anyone other than the top 4 like

That depends - as if Liverpool or Tottenham lodge bids for him, then it wouldn't really be a disgrace.

We should be moving aggressively to try and sign N'Zogbia at this point.

It does seem that he's the backup plan for if we don't get Gervinho, but we're playing a dangerous game and will end up with neither if we mess about too long.

If Gervinho is intent on waiting for better options to come forward then odds are he's not going to make a decision on us until his hand is forced. What real incentive is there for him to sign for us now if the offer is going to sit on the table indefinitely? We should get a deal for N'Zogbia outlined, then give Gervinho 24 hours to sign or else we pull the offer off the table and bring in N'Zogbia. If Gervinho says yes and the club get their first target then great, if not we get a quality player anyway.

I don't think we were realistically ever going to be able to nab Gervinho, sounds like a non-starter really (hopefully proved wrong though). If N'Zogbia wants to come to Newcastle it will just come down to price haggling between us and Wigan. As people have said if he ends up going to Sunderland something major will have gone wrong but then the lad can't have been that serious about comingback to us. I can't imagine bloody Titus Bramble would swing it for them ffs.

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/wigan-athletic/n_zogbia_poised_for_exit_1_3473907

N’Zogbia poised for exit

Published on Monday 13 June 2011 09:37

DAVE Whelan expects Charles N’Zogbia’s future to be resolved within the next two weeks.

The Latics chairman is resigned to losing the French international in the summer.

N’Zogbia played a key role in keeping Latics in the Premier League last season, his last-gasp goal in the final home match against West Ham throwing them a critical survival lifeline.

His midfield wizardry has attracted plenty of top clubs, with Everton the latest club linked to the former Newcastle star.

And Whelan says he will not stop in N’Zogbia’s way once they receive some firm offers – which he expects will materialise soon following a string of enquiries.

He told the Evening Post: “There is quite a lot of interest in Zoggy. He has said to me I’ve enjoyed my time at Wigan but I want to move on to other things.

“He’s very proud now of playing for France again and he feels a bigger club would be better for him for selection for France, for which we have to agree and I’ve said we will not stand in his way.

“There have been plenty of enquiries but the season is still a bit away yet and the transfer market is only just beginning to kick in.

“They’re all on holiday but we’ll come together in a fortnight and sort it.”

Whelan believes that allowing players to use Latics as a career stepping stone is one way to ensure the club can continue to attract top players – and managers.

Last week Roberto Martinez turned down Aston Villa’s advances while, in recent times, the likes of Antonio Valencia (Manchester United) and Wilson Palacios (Tottenham) have left for bigger clubs.

“If a player comes in saying he’s unhappy playing for Wigan Athletic, I want to move – I’m not going to say you can’t move,” said Whelan.

“I’m going to say okay, well put you on the list, try and find you a club, as long as we get the right fee, we’re going to let you go.

“If people want to employ someone, they should have the right to do that.

“I wanted Roberto to want to stay at Wigan, which he did. But if he was thinking, ‘I’d like to leave’, he’s half-hearted and that is no good.”

Whelan is a huge admirer of Martinez, having first signed him as a player, and reckons Wigan’s survival – and Villa’s subsequent interest – justified his faith to stick with the manager when the club tumbled to bottom of the Premier League.

Some fans wanted the Spaniard to be shown the door – something which clearly still grates the DW Sports owner.

“It was only six months ago that we had people in the crowd asking for him to get the sack, don’t forget that,” added Whelan. “He’s done a first class job since the day he arrived.

“It upsets you and I would have gone with Roberto, no question. I think the people have now realised how good a manager he is.

For the same reason the Enrique sale isn't going to go through in a hurry, this one won't either. No club is going to panic and throw more money than is needed at a player who can walk away for free in 12 months. Frustrating but it works both ways.

£9 million? Really?

Didn't Wigan say that they would only sell him to a Champions League club? With Martinez staying - they'll be doing their very best to keep the likes of N'Zogbia and Rodellega this summer. Neither will be easy to sign, especially for a club that finished 12th.

For the same reason the Enrique sale isn't going to go through in a hurry, this one won't either. No club is going to panic and throw more money than is needed at a player who can walk away for free in 12 months. Frustrating but it works both ways.

I've always been of the view that it is worth spending a "little" (subjective) extra in order to get the main targets in early. I believe it can make such a difference to your season having the players you want in from day one rather than chopping and changing once the players return from pre-season. Obviously, we don't live in a fantasy world or every club would do this but where it's possible i like to see us push deals through.

No where near panic stations yet like as it's merely the start of the silly season.

£9 million? Really?

Didn't Wigan say that they would only sell him to a Champions League club? With Martinez staying - they'll be doing their very best to keep the likes of N'Zogbia and Rodellega this summer. Neither will be easy to sign, especially for a club that finished 12th.

The whole "9m to champions league club" was just Del Boy talk. Never trust any chairman who openly talks about prices for their players.

He's in the last year of his contract and by all accounts would love a return to the north east, as well as Whelan openingly admitting that he will let him leave, i think 9m is a very fair price.

In fact they would be very lucky to get that sort of money but he's certainly worth it IMO.