SSN: Charles N'Zogbia to the mackems off

Tooj

I was pretty happy to see him shipped out, and would be even happier to see him come back through the door.

I've no doubt he wouldn't be half the player he is if we'd kept him. His growth was stagnating at the time, mainly due to a lack of being played regularly.

I was pretty happy to see him shipped out, and would be even happier to see him come back through the door.

I've no doubt he wouldn't be half the player he is if we'd kept him. His growth was stagnating at the time, mainly due to a lack of being played regularly.

exactly my thoughts though the reason for his not being pleyed regularly was as much down to his play as stupidity of the management.

I know the bandwagon is in full force regarding his "development" since leaving us thanks to certain posters hammering the point home every other day, but I saw enough of Wigan last season and it still looked like the same old Zog to me. Just wasn't suffering by being burdened with undeserved threats to his first-team place, too much defensive responsibility and/or being played completely out of position. He was always going to progress to become a quality force in the PL.

He has always been a class act and capable of producing something from nothing, it's just that he's had more opportunity to do so in the way he has been used at Wigan than he did here, for the most part. Since his first full season, when he chipped in with a very decent number of goals (and probably assists too) he was pissed about thanks to the need to play Duff to justify his wages/signing and mismanagement, which led to him getting a face on for the majority of the time.

My memory is not the best, by any stretch, but I remember him being consistently exciting here when played on the flanks, until the very latest of his days at least.

Thinking about it now, the amount of games he played at left-back was bloody ridiculous. You forget little things like that, amidst all the other fiascos that have gone on in the last few years. What a nonsense that actually was.

I know the bandwagon is in full force regarding his "development" since leaving us thanks to certain posters hammering the point home every other day, but I saw enough of Wigan last season and it still looked like the same old Zog to me. Just wasn't suffering by being burdened with undeserved threats to his first-team place, too much defensive responsibility and/or being played completely out of position. He was always going to progress to become a quality force in the PL.

He has always been a class act and capable of producing something from nothing, it's just that he's had more opportunity to do so in the way he has been used at Wigan than he did here, for the most part. Since his first full season, when he chipped in with a very decent number of goals (and probably assists too) he was p*ssed about thanks to the need to play Duff to justify his wages/signing and mismanagement, which led to him getting a face on for the majority of the time.

My memory is not the best, by any stretch, but I remember him being consistently exciting here when played on the flanks, until the very latest of his days at least.

he was exciting but far too often lost the ball to the 4th man he tried to take on or pushed himself down a blind alley after trying to take on one man too many. exciting but not to the best interests of the team.

Pure wingers rarely are "team players", surely? All I know is that the stats probably back him up when he is given license to play, going off his first full season with us and his performances at Wigan over the last two seasons.

He's an attack-minded winger, he's in there to beat a man, create chances and score his fair share. He appears to do that now and he even did that for us when he was allowed to in 05/06.

Comfortably the best I've seen at NUFC since Robert, it was a joke how it turned out for him here.

Pure wingers rarely are "team players", surely? All I know is that the stats probably back him up when he is given license to play, going off his first full season with us and his performances at Wigan over the last two seasons.

He's an attack-minded winger, he's in there to beat a man, create chances and score his fair share. He appears to do that now and he even did that for us when he was allowed to in 05/06.

Comfortably the best I've seen at NUFC since Robert, it was a joke how it turned out for him here.

Aye we had to suffer Duff's shit, Zoggy was 10x the player

he's not a pure winger though.

How did I know I would get picked up on that?

Almost changed it, decided to give you the benefit.

I'm not sure what else I can label him, without resorting to FM-isms. He's best-suited to playing as advanced as possible out wide and given license to play, what would you describe him as?

he's not a pure winger though.

How did I know I would get picked up on that?

Almost changed it, decided to give you the benefit.

I'm not sure what else I can label him, without resorting to FM-isms. He's best-suited to playing as advanced as possible out wide and given license to play, what would you describe him as?

inside forward (i know it's old fashioned) is probably ther best description, he doesn't really get wide, as in on ther touch line but looks for the gap between centre halves and full backs.

Inside forward is what they're called on Football Manager (and as such is coming back into vogue) :lol:

So aye, I suppose we agree after all. I was trying to pitch it to your era with the "winger" comment, didn't think you were as old/hip as "inside forward".

I can see this dragging out like, especially if he is as keen to rejoin as it seems. Ashley won't want to pay a penny more than is necessary, like Valencia with Gameiro.

I can see this dragging out like, especially if he is as keen to rejoin as it seems. Ashley won't want to pay a penny more than is necessary, like Valencia with Gameiro.

But if other clubs offer more we have no choice.

I think we'd take the gamble and try to hold out as long as possible. Again, see Valencia's stance over Gameiro.

I'm not saying this isn't a sensible thing to do, I just hope we don't miss out on him.

I doubt that anyone will offer over what Wigan want for him, and as he seems desperate to come here.. we should have the upper hand.

There's also the fact he only has a year left on his contract. From our perspective there's no rush, and every reason to wait.

The rush is he wants out and if we don't make our move I am sure he would settle for a move elsewhere, he may want to be here but I bet he wants away from Wigan more.

I doubt that anyone will offer over what Wigan want for him, and as he seems desperate to come here.. we should have the upper hand.

will he be desperate to come here if spurs/liverpool/arsenal come in? i wouldnt think so. we should be getting this one done asap

Thinking about it now, the amount of games he played at left-back was bloody ridiculous. You forget little things like that, amidst all the other fiascos that have gone on in the last few years. What a nonsense that actually was.

Was inplace of Jose aswel wasn't it, with Duff on the left?

Fucking hell man that was a horrible season like.

And just because he'd prefer to come here doesn't mean he'll only come here. If we mess around, I'm sure he'd have no problem going to a Liverpool or Aston Villa. It isn't 'Newcastle or nothing', so we need to do this now - right now!

While I'd love for us to sign Zog tomorrow - and I'm convinced he'd sign like a shot - I just don't see why any club would pay £12million for a player in the last year of his contract. Wigan know that as well which is why they are setting two different price levels. That suggests to me that Zog is very keen to get back here and both clubs are jockeying for the best price possible. £8-9 million will probably be around the final fee imo.