Plastic Fans and Pliable Allegiances

Vinny Green Balls

at times I wish I could just change allegiance to another team as the last 3 years have been a compete nightmare for us and I can't think of a time I've been more pissed off as a Newcastle supporter than I am now.

I'm not pissed off Carroll has gone but I am pissed off in the manner things have evolved, who's telling the truth, who's lying, did he put in a transfer request or didn't he, there's no need for them to drag it all into the public view as again it just makes us look a laughing stock and shows our club has no clue.

I remember one of my first months in the USA, watching NBA Bulls-Lakers (Bulls getting f***ing hammered) with some locals.

Me: *expletives after yet another s*** play by the Bulls*

Yank: Hey, why are you getting so worked up?

Me: Man, when I was a kid Michael Jordan was the f***ing king of the world, Bulls are my NBA team and always will be.

Yank: Here it doesn't work that way, just support somebody who isn't s***.

I'm always amazed how people say that they were born/raised as a  XXXXX fan, but they they say that they are now fans of this other team.  I know part of it is due to relocation in such a large country (and schedules where your team may only play another team every 3-4 years), so they switch to the local team.

Only a few teams seem to have transcendent fans that stick with their team through thick and thin.  I think the "cult" teams are Green Bay Packers, Red Sox, the Cubs (although that's almost for comedy sake) and maybe the Steelers.

Let's not forget the people who support a club like Manchester United despite never watching a game. You ask them to name any starting 11 and they would only come up with Rooney and maybe even Ronaldo as they are oblivious to his departure years ago. They are entitled to label themselves as a supporter but it is easy to see through it.

Also dislike all the glory hunters. If I were to ask someone who they supported, it would be easily one of the top 4 - 99% of the time. I hold respect to one of my best mates for being an Everton fan. Unlike others, we know what it is like to not expect to win everything, giving us that extra buzz whenever we do. I have to agree that these glory hunters will never experience what being a true football fan is about. Liverpool may be going down that road in the long term, so I look forward to seeing their so called "fans" suffer once in awhile.

Fans of Man U or Chelsea, or the NY Yankees or LA Lakers, who have never know anything but first or second place etc  will never truely know what it's like to really support a team.

You have to experience the lows to truely comprehend how high the highs are.  I know that if/when Newcastle are Premier League Champions then I will celebrate the achievement across many more levels than Man U or Chelsea will the next time they win it all.

To be fair I know about half a dozen Chelsea supporters and all of them have been supporting them for years.My next door neighbour used to be a season ticket holder there,but stopped when Roman bought it because he didn't agree with the blanket buying of success.Manchester United and Liverpool are the pld school glory hunting twats tbh.

I'm from near nuneaton billy loads of em there. disgusting. That said few toon supporters about because of mining and that too.

Whereabouts mate?I'm pretty close to you by the sounds.

Atherstone upon tyne...I always have to default to Cov though because nee bugger has heard of it. Full of placker mancs. There's a Cov city bus that pulls up on a saturday and no-one gets on it whilst the pub nearest is full of red shirts of the worst kinds. horrid.

Yeah,you ain't far from me at all.It's like that in Coventry as well mate tbh.There are a lot of Mags about mind  but also a few Mackems.

I remember one of my first months in the USA, watching NBA Bulls-Lakers (Bulls getting f***ing hammered) with some locals.

Me: *expletives after yet another s*** play by the Bulls*

Yank: Hey, why are you getting so worked up?

Me: Man, when I was a kid Michael Jordan was the f***ing king of the world, Bulls are my NBA team and always will be.

Yank: Here it doesn't work that way, just support somebody who isn't s***.

I'm always amazed how people say that they were born/raised as a  XXXXX fan, but they they say that they are now fans of this other team.  I know part of it is due to relocation in such a large country (and schedules where your team may only play another team every 3-4 years), so they switch to the local team.

Only a few teams seem to have transcendent fans that stick with their team through thick and thin.  I think the "cult" teams are Green Bay Packers, Red Sox, the Cubs (although that's almost for comedy sake) and maybe the Steelers.

Steelers seem to have a loyal fan base. Also one of the things I liked about American sport fandom is the loyalty to their college teams (I couldn't give a fuck what my uni team did to be honest).

Fans of Man U or Chelsea, or the NY Yankees or LA Lakers, who have never know anything but first or second place etc  will never truely know what it's like to really support a team.

You have to experience the lows to truely comprehend how high the highs are.  I know that if/when Newcastle are Premier League Champions then I will celebrate the achievement across many more levels than Man U or Chelsea will the next time they win it all.

To be fair I know about half a dozen Chelsea supporters and all of them have been supporting them for years.My next door neighbour used to be a season ticket holder there,but stopped when Roman bought it because he didn't agree with the blanket buying of success.Manchester United and Liverpool are the pld school glory hunting twats tbh.

I'm from near nuneaton billy loads of em there. disgusting. That said few toon supporters about because of mining and that too.

Whereabouts mate?I'm pretty close to you by the sounds.

Atherstone upon tyne...I always have to default to Cov though because nee bugger has heard of it. Full of placker mancs. There's a Cov city bus that pulls up on a saturday and no-one gets on it whilst the pub nearest is full of red shirts of the worst kinds. horrid.

I'm in Warwick, and in my five years living here, I've seen about 10 Coventry fans in total, either here or Leamington.

Plenty of glory hunters, like everywhere, but the total lack of support for Cov is amazing. I see far, far more Villa fans around here than I do Coventry. In fact, I reckon I see more Leamington fans than Cov fans.

Oh, and as for changing team, bollocks to that. You just don't do it.

When we were at Wembley for the Carling Cup final last season, with five minutes to go, our end was packed still, and the Man United end was practically empty. Couldn't be fucked to hang around for the presentation.

The easiness with which glory hunters latch on to success, and the casualness with which they shrug it off again makes me want to vomit. It doesn't mean as much to them - it can't - because they *chose* the easy route, they opted for a pretty much cast iron guarantee of lots of silverware.

I would much rather my children grew up to support Birmingham City than Manchester United or Chelsea. The gloryhunter is the lowest specimen of all, no pride for their local region, for their local area, no pride for themselves, no guts and no spine.

I absolutely loathe them, and, to be honest, if i start talking to someone with a southern accent and they start telling me they support Liverpool or Man United, quite frankly, I switch off, because their opinions on football are utterly null and void to me.

Guest Thump 1892

I had the same argument with my mate in Crawley.  I mentioned how I reckoned we'd get hammered by Spurs but something was niggling at me to believe we'd get something out of it, or play them off the park. (Let's face it, it's either one or the other with us.) His response was "Well why don't you switch teams?"... cue me quoting the late, great, Sir Bobby Robson about what a football club is, what it means to be a fan etc.

Yes, I'm a football fan.  I love watching almost any team play well, I watched the Wolves vs. Liverpool match with baited breath, I watch lower league games and celebrate when one of them scores - I love football.  He just didn't understand the concept of "club loyalty" despite the fact that I wore my Newcastle shirt in London and flaunted it happily (got a bit of banter with a Yid and a Gooner which was a good laugh - Arsenal fans will team up with any team if it means a Yid gets torn apart!)

Shame really.

When NUFC wins its next trophy, it will be like an exorcism.

I am a lifelong fan of the Chicago White Sox -- no championships from 1917 until 2005.  Believe me, all the frustration, the lows, and the lower lows all get erased when your club win it all.  HANG IN THERE AND HOWAY!

Remember: exorcism = DEMONS BURNED WITH FIRE

:sadnod: Thankfully, the N.E seemingly has a relatively low percentage of gloryhunting nasties.

I think even the stupidest fuck of a glory hunter would look somewhere else to hang their hat.

:lol: I was referring more to those from the north east gloryhunting elsewhere.

I am a lifelong fan of the Chicago White Sox -- no championships from 1917 until 2005.  Believe me, all the frustration, the lows, and the lower lows all get erased when your club win it all.  HANG IN THERE AND HOWAY!

They're my team too. :aww:

Except, I hasten to add, I can't name a single player.

Guest Thump 1892

:sadnod: Thankfully, the N.E seemingly has a relatively low percentage of gloryhunting nasties.

I think even the stupidest f*** of a glory hunter would look somewhere else to hang their hat.

:lol: I was referring more to those from the north east gloryhunting elsewhere.

Ah, Plastic Mackems.

When NUFC wins its next trophy, it will be like an exorcism.

I am a lifelong fan of the Chicago White Sox -- no championships from 1917 until 2005.  Believe me, all the frustration, the lows, and the lower lows all get erased when your club win it all.  HANG IN THERE AND HOWAY!

Remember: exorcism = DEMONS BURNED WITH FIRE

Know how it feels.

My local club here in my home country is the most successful one here, yet we didnt win the title for 31 years, from 1968 to 1999. Then we took the double. And the title again the year after that, and in '02 and '03. Nothing like it.

I've been a New York Mets and Jets fan for 40 years now.  I've been a UConn Huskies (men's BB) fan for 31 years (since the Big East was first formed).  Like NUFC for you, these teams are in my blood.  The Mets last won in '86.  The Jets have never been to a Super Bowl since I became a fan.  I went for a decade before the Huskies began to get good and go on to win two NCAA championships.  I can tell you that the wait, the long hard years bereft of hope and awash with futility make it all worth while when your tgeam climbs to the top of mountain.

As for Newcastle United, well, I haven't followed them nearly as long but I can't even play another Premier team on FM, FWIW.  Lord knows I've felt compelled to at least a half dozen times in Ashley's ill fated reign.  Suffice to say that the twists and turns at NUFC are in line with the ups and downs of the Mets and the Jets.  Still, you can't knock me off of my teams.  I'll root for them til the day I die even though rooting for them will likely have been a contributing factor to said death.  When they win, it will have all been worth it.  I remember 86 when the Mets came back and beat the Red Sox.  I remember UConn beating Duke in 99.  Both those wins were redemption and the years of wwaiting made it all worth it.  So buck up and carry on and never, ever, ever give up.

As a famous writer once said, it's better to have loved and lost than have never loved at all...

Well said, my man.

This whole newcastle united thing has troubled me off and on for years. Seriously.

I wanted to be a man united fan when i was a kid, told my day, he took it as though i'd told him him i was gay, so he bought me a black and white shirt. We started going to games and the rest is history.

Only now i'm approaching the point where pretty soon i'm gonna have to make that decision for my child, when he / she arrives. We don't live in the toon so it's not nailed on. Most local kids "support" man united, but there's a big celtic support too. Many of my family are celtic supporters, as is the wife, and they win stuff most seasons. Surely that would be the best route to send my kid.

But then i think, would i have changed anything? The away games i've been to, travelling miles sometimes through the snow, despite expecting the lads to get humped. And on the occasion they pull a result out the bag it's the best feeling in the world. Do man united fans feel as good as that when drinking cups of tea on the way home. on their nice clean 52 seat coach? I'm fairly sure they don't.

I don't think they've necessarily got nicer buses than us mate :lol:

:lol: To be honest i was thinking of my local man united supporters coach. We sometimes pass it on the motorway in our L-reg transit.

Was speaking to a mate at work at Man Utd. It was only after Hughton's sacking that I realised he'd never seen a different manager take over his club, he's never had that experience of a new manager coming in. Absolutely crazy. Supporting Newcastle is like supporting nobody else, the crazy stuff we've had to put up with over the last twenty years or so have been nothing short of ridiculous.

http://worldcupsoccerfifa.com/am-i-a-glory-hunter-for-recently-starting-to-support-barcelona/

:banghead:

You don't f***ing chose what team to support. It choses you. Where were you when Fabio f***ing Rochemback was our midfield maestro?

The difficulty is, if you come from a country where there are no local football teams or all you see are Prem/la Liga games, how will the team choose you? I always find myself rooting for one team when I watch football, even if I know absolutely nothing about the team. Maybe that's the same for everyone. For the record, I never like Barca (despite the fact that I really should for historic reasons) because I once saw a UEFA Cup (or was it Cup-Winners?) game against Villa in the 80s when they were unspeakably dirty, cheating bastards. One game was all it took.

You can try to generalize about US sport, but just look at Cleveland. Haven't won anything in ages in any sport, but some of the Cavs fanbase is rabid. Then you come to the Browns, widely and fervently supported. When their club was taken away they managed to essentially get it re-started from scratch.

My Italian club was Milan as a kid - absolutely no idea why but when they were fucking brilliant in the 80s I felt great. Was I a glory-hunter? No idea.

I'm lucky in that my father was taken to Spurs by his Uncle Cyril as a kid, then he took me and we were close enough to walk to the ground. I'm proud of that, but am also proud of any Spurs fan who chose us (poor bastards). It's the old dichotomy, if you're from, say, Cleveland and are a Spurs fan then you're a brave, thoughtful man of taste. If you're an Everton fan then you're a misguided plastic.

I accept fans from regions other than the club's own, mind. I still think they'd be better served if they supported Columbus Crew or Mumbai FC over Manchester United or Barça, since you just can't compare living in a community that breathes and lives that football team. Sports support is a community undertaking, you share it with others. But there's always an emotional connection to it even if you're not from there. You dislike us because as a kid we were cheaters in your eyes (I think I know the game you are refering to, the 1982 European Supercup? I have always had a slight irrational distaste for Villa since losing it), you loved Milan as a kid because they were great, I loved the Bulls as a kid because Jordan was the f***ing man. We are very impressionable as children and we can gain connections to distant clubs we should never care about for some strange reasons. I verily stand by my opinion that ultimately a true sports love isn't chosen.